Do some gays try to be like straight couples?

Tropez

Like the idea that if you are a bottom you have to be the woman, and if you are a top the man. If you are a bottom you only give hear not receive, and tops only get and not give. That’s bottoms have to be submissive and top’s dominant. 

Im seeming this more with younger gays. And this thinking is rather messed up. And women in particular hate these roles. So why do some gay men want to feel like they’re in the 1950s? 

It's their life, it's not my place to judge them how they wanna be in their love life.

And what about it? If they're happy and satisfied with their sex lives as it is then I see no problem :heart:

I agree with the other comments. We spend too much time scrutinizing how others live. There’s as many ways of being as there are people in the world. If someone wants to live in a masculine/feminine dichotomy/duality, go for it! 

idk that they try. sometimes thats just the way the cookie crumbles. but I do know there are "roles" in every sexuality. and they are there for a reason so your not wrong. no judgement here though. I prefer a bossy dominant bottom, though.

Let the people live how they want to live as long as they are not hurting anyone jfc

37 minutes ago, Tropez said:

Like the idea that if you are a bottom you have to be the woman, and if you are a top the man. If you are a bottom you only give hear not receive, and tops only get and not give. That’s bottoms have to be submissive and top’s dominant. 

Im seeming this more with younger gays. And this thinking is rather messed up. And women in particular hate these roles. So why do some gay men want to feel like they’re in the 1950s? 

It probably comes down to childhood and teenage heteronormative promotion they went though coloring their perspective and romantic interests. I don't see many young gays who want to be the "man" though. It's a dysfunctional/glitchy preference.

They will probably grow out of it by some years.

Some gays are definitely trying/doing that but I'm in no place to judge them

This thread is weird. Why does it matter?:biblio:

my top needs to be manly and sustain me so yes :sorry:

Why do you care, Ms Tropez? I’ll never understand why we judge people for taking on specific “roles” in relationships. If it works for them, so be it.

But to genuinely answer your question:

It’s patriarchal.

We as gay men, like everyone else, have been raised in a society that pushes gender norms and the idea that there is a “feminine” figure and then a “masculine” figure in a romantic partnership. It’s forced on us in every TV show and movie and in the relationships that exist around us since the day we’re born. 

Gay men have no “example” or “mold” in society that tells us what our relationship dynamics should look like in terms of roles, it’s all focused on heterosexual relationships. So when gay men in dual partnerships tend to mimic the same gender norms/roles of heterosexual couples, it’s not surprising. It’s how we’ve been conditioned our entire lives to view two-person romantic partnerships. 

Actually, in my case, it’s funny because I just had this conversation with my boyfriend lmao

I'm in my very early years of college and living with my boyfriend who's about to graduate and has a job. I feel useless because he pays rent and everything we need while I just study and go out to buy groceries. He doesn't want me to work, like ever, even after I graduate and it kinda makes me uncomfortable. We talked about it once and he thankfully understood my side a little, though he still mentioned right after wanting to have kids and for me to be a stay at home husband :skull: 

He seems to want that 1950s-style relationship despite us being two gay men in the 2020s :deadbanana4:

Get offline. Because in real-life gay relationships, those labels go right out the window. Of course you have some people who are strictly tops/bottom or dominant/submissive, but in a lot of gay relationships those are things that fluctuate.

32 minutes ago, TROPICUM said:

Actually, in my case, it’s funny because I just had this conversation with my boyfriend lmao

I'm in my very early years of college and living with my boyfriend who's about to graduate and has a job. I feel useless because he pays rent and everything we need while I just study and go out to buy groceries. He doesn't want me to work, like ever, even after I graduate and it kinda makes me uncomfortable. We talked about it once and he thankfully understood my side a little, though he still mentioned right after wanting to have kids and for me to be a stay at home husband :skull: 

He seems to want that 1950s-style relationship despite us being two gay men in the 2020s :deadbanana4:

Sounds like a keeper to me. :clap3: Get that ring gurl.

I’m a bottom and I need to feel like a girl. That’s why I don’t need to date effeminate gays. I need a man. I’m not even gonna let my man s*ck me. That’s not a manly attitude. Treat me like a woman ffs. :chick1:

who cares? if both parties consent to it, i see no reason to be upset about it

1 hour ago, Aristotle said:

I don't see many young gays who want to be the "man" though. It's a dysfunctional/glitchy preference.

lol they're are plenty of hyper masculine young gays who take pride in being a "man." like a lot of them actually 

It’s just an easier dynamic to fit into given how culturally pervasive it is, there’s a reason it’s so common

Yes and no it's not normal, quite the opposite, gay men diverge from heteronormative norms pretty routinely in relationships, well, the healthy ones anyway.

The gay men who try to fit dysfunctional heterosexual norms into a gay hole are the very same ones occupying the high domestic violence stat.

Idk, I kinda like playing the “girl” in a relationship, it’s just how I am, that being said I’m not 100% fem, I do have some masc moments here and there, but I generally enjoy that dynamic of having a beefy tall hairy man ordering me around and telling me what to do yess sir!!! :WAP:

11 hours ago, GipJo said:

It's their life, it's not my place to judge them how they wanna be in their love life.

Exactly! 

10 hours ago, brenda-walsh said:

lol they're are plenty of hyper masculine young gays who take pride in being a "man." like a lot of them actually 

But they often date their clone.

What those hyper masculine looking gays 'work' in their image is a reflection of what they view attractive in men.

Most 'legit' masculine gays are soft who listen to pop girls like me.

As soon as I hear a gay man talk about 'alpha' I am leaving.

These stereotypes are just that.

Making assumptions on who is dominant/submissive and their corresponding sexual activity, based on what, their perceived masculinity, its not cute.

12 hours ago, dussel_06 said:

I’m a bottom and I need to feel like a girl. That’s why I don’t need to date effeminate gays. I need a man. I’m not even gonna let my man s*ck me. That’s not a manly attitude. Treat me like a woman ffs. :chick1:

*Screaming* :dies:

Oh I thought you meant being monogamous :giraffe:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.