Shakira gives emotional speech at Billboard's Latin Women in Music

Disconnect

"In her first public appearance since moving to Miami last month, Shakira gave an emotional speech to accept Billboard’s first Woman of the Year award at the inaugural Latin Women in Music gala, thanking her mother, her friends and women overall."

SPEECH TRANSLATION:

This has been a year of seismic change in my life where I’ve felt more than ever and very personally what it is to be a women. And what it means.

It’s been a year where I’ve realized we women are stronger than we think, braver than we believed, more independent than we were taught to be.

Because what woman hasn’t at some time in her life forgotten herself because she’s seeking the attention and love of someone else?

It happened to me, more than once.

But there comes a time in the life of every woman where she no longer depends on someone else to love and accept herself just as she is.

A time when the search for someone else is replaced by the search for oneself. A time when the desire to be perfect is replaced by the desire to be authentic, and where finding someone who is faithful is less important than being faithful to ourselves.

It’s true that when I felt most lost, music put me in the road back to myself. But the most important lessons I learned from other women, and for them I wrote what I wrote and I sang what I sang. Because only a woman can love until she’s ripped apart; can speak with the most brutal honesty; can sing with anger; dance in ecstasy and be brought to tears with emotion. Only a woman can do that.

And there is one special woman who has inspired me more than anyone else: my mother, Nidya Ripoll. Mami, despite the hardships you’ve faced this year, you’re still standing with limitless love and resilience. You, mami, have been my woman of the year. So, this recognition is for you, and also for my friends who have supported me and who hold me up when my legs give out. And for all those single moms who defend and protect their children like lionesses. Claudia, I love you! You’re one of those.

I receive this honor with lots of love, but for me, more than celebrating the women of the year, we should celebrate the year of the woman. A year where us women have touched subjects that couldn’t be touched, and said things that couldn’t be said. And though some may have complained, there’s no going back. Together, we’ve taken a step forward, and with each step we’re more free and more fulfilled.

Thank you for this recognition, and I share it with those incredible women I call ‘sisters’ who have taught me so much because they understand their own vulnerability, but also their own strength.

SOURCE: Billboard

Edited by Disconnect

Crying my eyes out. 
she’s such an incredibly strong and inspiring woman. 
love love love her and the era of independence she’s in ❤️

Shakira te amo, por Dios, qué mujer tan increíble.

I'd say that speech is pretty generic and far from being inspirational. So many cliches even. Ariana still gave the most genuine WOTY speech ever. 

2 hours ago, Jude said:

I'd say that speech is pretty generic and far from being inspirational. So many cliches even. Ariana still gave the most genuine WOTY speech ever. 

you could have just not entered this thread and kept that to yourself. consider her being a legacy, the records that she is still breaking and the year that she'd had personally this speech was such a full circle moment and i'll be damned if you try to kick her down. why are we also comparing speeches like :deadbanana4:

2 hours ago, ibreathepop said:

Crying my eyes out. 
she’s such an incredibly strong and inspiring woman. 
love love love her and the era of independence she’s in ❤️

the shots of thalia, ludmilla, maria barrera, lele pons and emilia <3 collab with them all queens

What a good speaker. Her massive IQ is showing here :clap:

An incredible speech.  Truly a remarkable woman :clap3:

Not going to lie, it was somewhat generic and I say that from the bottom of my heart lol I’ve been following this woman since forever, I’ve heard better speeches from her, BUT it just goes to show how loved she is by the Latin community. 

all she has to do is say hello and everybody goes crazy lol

Y'all can say it was generic and stuff but I liked it LOL. Call me basic :rip:.

And though some may have complained, there’s no going back. Together, we’ve taken a step forward, and with each step we’re more free and more fulfilled.

what a strong way to finish her speech. I'm so glad she's got it because this has been such a hard year for her but it's paying off to see how she's bounced back.

1 hour ago, theweekend said:

And though some may have complained, there’s no going back. Together, we’ve taken a step forward, and with each step we’re more free and more fulfilled.

what a strong way to finish her speech. I'm so glad she's got it because this has been such a hard year for her but it's paying off to see how she's bounced back.

My fav part of the speech. 

she cracked at the end when she mentions her mom and kids, that bastard had our girl on a choke hold. I’ve never heard this woman choke or cry, but I was about to lose it. 

but this goes to show how loved she really is.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.