Is classism the last acceptable form of discrimination?

cockatoo

I've noticed that people are quite openly classist and even proudly so, and they face very little backlash. Obviously racism, sexism, homophobia, ableism etc are all still alive and well but I feel like they are more taboo and people have to be more covert about it. For example you can't be openly racist in a place of work or you'll probably face some kind of consequences. But if you were to make a joke about working class people or poorer people, lots of people wouldn't bat an eyelid.

An innocent homeless man just got murdered in broad daylight without any consequences

Yes, poor people are seen as subhuman

That and ableism. 

22 minutes ago, visions said:

That and ableism. 

Yes I was gonna say this. Ableism is alive and well and the only form of abelism that is slightly recognized as offensive is making fun of someone in a wheel chair or someone with autism or Down syndrome (or any other disabilities that present physically specifically abnormalities in facial features/structure (so not lose of limbs, for example)). <—- but that’s limited to in real. Movies tho? I’m shocked when I see people with certain facial & body altering disabilities in real life and I know of movies/shows where “monsters” and “aliens” look like that. Like imagine watching a show and the scary ugly monster looks like you or your child?

Edited by TiaTamera

I would guess so.

I’d say that most forms of bigotry (if presented a certain way) are tolerated. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cain said:

An innocent homeless man just got murdered in broad daylight without any consequences

And this is why God doesn’t exist 

1 hour ago, visions said:

That and ableism. 

Yep. Tragic really when there is plenty available for EVERYONE to thrive but that’s not how this ****** up world works is it. Be of value/produce/consume or die essentially. Which isn’t necessarily bad but not when it literally could be the death of a human.

Edited by JayG

3 hours ago, Cain said:

If you're talking about the guy on the NYC subway he was a violent criminal with 40 prior arrests who was making active threats against women and children on the subway. Stop spreading this nonsense like he was some sort of innocent who was "murdered".

• Like 1

People openly hate fat people so no. 

3 hours ago, CandleGuy said:

If you're talking about the guy on the NYC subway he was a violent criminal with 40 prior arrests who was making active threats against women and children on the subway. Stop spreading this nonsense like he was some sort of innocent who was "murdered".

I’m talking about the man who was murdered for screaming in the subway yes, good to know you’re one of the people who think poor people deserve to be murdered for screaming

4 hours ago, CandleGuy said:

he was a violent criminal with 40 prior arrests

So you support lynchings?

13 hours ago, CandleGuy said:

Did he have his police file report letter sticked on his forehead before he was grabbed?

Also a minute was more than enough to keep him in his arm, not 15 minutes.

Edited by Aristotle

14 hours ago, visions said:

That and ableism. 

This.

12 hours ago, Cain said:

I’m talking about the man who was murdered for screaming in the subway yes, good to know you’re one of the people who think poor people deserve to be murdered for screaming

Assault =\= Screaming. Whatever he was "screaming" caused reasonable enough fear in not one but SEVERAL RANDOM UNRELATED STRANGERS to leap into action to restrain him.

If you lived in NYC you would know that there are mentally ill people doing crazy **** on the subway all the ******* time. No one bats an eye. For SEVERAL RANDOM UNRELATED STRANGERS to take action it would have had to be a legitimate threat.

But no, SEVERAL RANDOM UNRELATED STRANGERS must be racist murderers and the proven violent criminal must be the innocent victim here.

11 hours ago, Communion said:

So you support lynchings?

Do you even know what a lynching is? Because it's not when you accidentally kill someone while trying to restrain them from committing acts of violence against others. 

You're better than this type of ragebait posting.

4 hours ago, Aristotle said:

Did he have his police file report letter sticked on his forehead before he was grabbed?

Also a minute was more than enough to keep him in his arm, not 15 minutes.

Why would he need a police report on his forehead when he was literally in the act of assaulting and harassing innocent subway passengers when he was rightfully subdued?

A minute was more than enough? If your mom or sister was on the train with him you would want the hero who subdued him to take the chance of letting him back up after he was violently threatening them?

9 minutes ago, CandleGuy said:

Assault =\= Screaming. Whatever he was "screaming" caused reasonable enough fear in not one but SEVERAL RANDOM UNRELATED STRANGERS to leap into action to restrain him.

If you lived in NYC you would know that there are mentally ill people doing crazy **** on the subway all the ******* time. No one bats an eye. For SEVERAL RANDOM UNRELATED STRANGERS to take action it would have had to be a legitimate threat.

But no, SEVERAL RANDOM UNRELATED STRANGERS must be racist murderers and the proven violent criminal must be the innocent victim here.

Do you even know what a lynching is? Because it's not when you accidentally kill someone while trying to restrain them from committing acts of violence against others. 

You're better than this type of ragebait posting.

Why would he need a police report on his forehead when he was literally in the act of assaulting and harassing innocent subway passengers when he was rightfully subdued?

A minute was more than enough? If your mom or sister was on the train with him you would want the hero who subdued him to take the chance of letting him back up after he was violently threatening them?

Your posts are genuinely disgusting and veer into being worthy of being permanently banned.

*I'm* better than to recognize you support lynching? Your posts show you're genuinely harboring a hatred for poor people and homeless people, and you are quite literally supporting lynching. 

Let us remind the crowd:

lynch

verb
gerund or present participle: lynching; noun: lynching
  1. 1.
    (of a mob) kill (someone), especially by hanging, for an alleged offense with or without a legal trial.

Jordan Neely was lynched. You are celebrating a lynching.

There is no evidence he assaulted anyone on the train.

There is no evidence he verbally threatened to assault anyone on the train.

The "multiple people" you mention approached Neely after Daniel Penny put him in a chokehold.

The other 2 people (1 standing by and 1 holding Jordan's hands) were warning Daniel Penny that he was potentially killing Jordan by continuing his chokehold and advised him to stop.

As someone who faced homelessness growing up, you've confirmed to me you'd be fine with my murder just by basis of being unhoused would mean I and my family were worthy of death. :biblio:

Edited by Communion

MadonnasBoyfriend

People still come for bodies looks and age

18 hours ago, CandleGuy said:

But at the time of the incident, he wasn't bothering anyone. Unless he was actively causing physical harm to a passenger, that navy, military member or whatever he was had no right to put his hands on him and strangle him.

Interesting last line 5I5s8.png

1 hour ago, Communion said:

As someone who faced homelessness growing up, you've confirmed to me you'd be fine with my murder just by basis of being unhoused would mean I and my family were worthy of death. :biblio:

Of course not. Again, like the lynching comment, this is another bad faith argument. His death was not because he was unhoused. His death happened because he was in the act of assaulting passengers on the train and another passenger took action to prevent further violence.

To be clear, I live in NYC and I am furious over this situation. The ultimate blame lies with the city for doing nothing to help Jordan and all others who are a danger to themselves and others as a result of their mental illness. I am not celebrating his death nor do I think an intentional killing would have been justified. In a perfect world, the city would have an effective solution for keeping violent mentally ill individuals off the streets.  But we don't have that. So an untrained civilian was forced to do what he felt was necessary to protect himself and other passengers on the train. It's fairly clear that he did not intend to kill Jordan.

Direct your anger where it is justified, which is toward the city and demand better programs for mental health, homelessness, etc.

Just now, CandleGuy said:

His death happened because he was in the act of assaulting passengers

2 hours ago, Communion said:

There is no evidence he assaulted anyone on the train.

There is no evidence he verbally threatened to assault anyone on the train.

The "multiple people" you mention approached Neely after Daniel Penny put him in a chokehold.

The other 2 people (1 standing by and 1 holding Jordan's hands) were warning Daniel Penny that he was potentially killing Jordan by continuing his chokehold and advised him to stop.

STOP LYING. 

There's a much more nuanced answer to the question, but I'll say that's partly one of the results of liberalism hijacking the fight for liberation of ethnic, racial, sexual and gender minorities and shamelessly profiting from it.

Some mainstream conversations on oppression can feel so sanitized and detached from the class struggle to the point that marginalized groups, even from the working class, are often made to aspire the hoard of wealth as a way to individually navigate an oppressive society rather than aspire any genuine work for the equal distribution of wealth as a collective fight against systemic oppression.

Under those circumstances, what we see is that everyday people will often despise poor people and try their best to distance themselves from anything and anyone remotely perceived as poor, and try to cultivate some sort of distorted connection to the dominant class that owns capital.

There's no such thing as liberation for all as long as we live under capitalism. :heart:

MadonnasBoyfriend

Also people discriminate against white men. Check any Chris Pratt or leo thread. It's acceptable to do so

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.