ATRL's 250 Greatest Songs Of All Time

ManDown

Bacardo Royale
23 minutes ago, ManDown said:

So, here's what I have so far...

• The top 5 consists of pop girls, and the songs are divided between 3 artist. But not the artists you would expect.
  • The artist with the most entries in the top 250 is Mariah Carey.
  • The pop girl with the least is Miley Cyrus.
  • The current #1 song has 72 points (going by Method 1, I haven't tried Method 2 yet).
  • 34% of the chart is male artists or male fronted groups/bands. This does not include mixed genders groups/bands (e.g. Fleetwood Mac).

Why am I not surprised?

ucOtcK3.gif

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ManDown

• Weed

• Da Vinci

• DivaCup

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, AlexisNeiers said:

God Only Knows better snatch :'(

i didn't include it :'( i had to really pare it down for only 25 songs. i think i could have done 50

18 minutes ago, DivaCup said:

i didn't include it :'( i had to really pare it down for only 25 songs. i think i could have done 50

Welp, this is my #1 :chick3:

On 2/2/2017 at 9:12 PM, ManDown said:

oGiBGtM.png

Welcome to the first installment of ATRL's 250 Greatest Songs Of All Time. Inspired by Rolling Stone's iconic 500 Greatest Songs of All Time list, this is meant to capture the musical taste of the entire ATRL community and recognize the best of the best songs. Beginning on March 1st, I will begin counting down the 250 greatest songs of all time, according to ATRL users. To keep things interesting and fair, I have established some rules.

How It Works:

• All songs must have been released on or before September 1st, 2016
  • No more than 5 songs per artist per list
  • You may nominate any song, whether it's a single, album track, or demo
  • Each participant must submit a list of 25 ranked songs
  • Each rank up is worth 1 point (#25=1 point, #1=25 points)
  • To submit your list, simply message me on ATRL (do not post your list publicly)

Deadline to submit lists is February 28th

doing now! Excited :D

Admiral Bobbery

This is kind of hard to narrow down

10 hours ago, ManDown said:

So, here's what I have so far...

• The top 5 consists of pop girls, and the songs are divided between 3 artist. But not the artists you would expect.
  • The current #1 song has 72 points (going by Method 1, I haven't tried Method 2 yet).
  • 34% of the chart is male artists or male fronted groups/bands. This does not include mixed genders groups/bands (e.g. Fleetwood Mac).

Y'all better start voting so we can change this.

QGwjoB.gif

I'm actually surprised that male artists are making up that much of the chart knowing this site tbh.

• #FreeBritney Activist

This would have been so much easier with a top 50 but it's an awesome idea. I'm already dreading everyone complaining about Pop girls ruling. That's clearly our demographic; why should we silence ourselves and lose our unique take?

12 hours ago, ManDown said:

True. And it could make things more based on total votes rather than just 1-2 people listing the song as their #1.

Yes, I didn't think about that but it sounds better.

Then if any songs have the same point value, you can edge it to the song that has more votes.

YOOOO. I recalculated the numbers using Method 2, and it is glorious.

• The top 5 consists of 4 different artists. This includes 3 pop girls and a rock band.
  • The average age of the top 5 songs is 16 years old (meaning, the average release year was late 2000).
  • The current #1 song has 17 points.
  • 35/250 song appears on the Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Songs of All Time list (2010 edition).
48 minutes ago, Eternium said:

This would have been so much easier with a top 50 but it's an awesome idea. I'm already dreading everyone complaining about Pop girls ruling. That's clearly our demographic; why should we silence ourselves and lose our unique take?

Next year when I run this again, I'm going to do it with 50, with the option to do a 25 ballot with slightly different point values. That way, it'll balance everything out and there won't be as many ties.

For now, once I have enough ballots (say, 25), I'll message everyone who voted thus far with instructions on how to nominate their additional "honorable mentions". They will be pointed differently and will breaks a lot of the ties we have right now. :duca:

46 minutes ago, DejaVu said:

How many different songs have been submitted so far?

365 songs with 17 ballots. :duca:

42 minutes ago, DejaVu said:

Yes, I didn't think about that but it sounds better.

Then if any songs have the same point value, you can edge it to the song that has more votes.

Yeah, that's how I was going to break some of the ties at the end. I'm sure if we finish with 50-ish ballots, the points will be distributed enough to where the winners will be clear. *fingers crossed*

I changed my mind, and decided to just message everyone now with the criteria for the honorable mention ballots. :duca: You guys can just send me your additional lists when you get a chance.

I'm really proud of how the top 100 is shaping up. I feel it's a true reflection of ATRL's taste, in a good way.

• #FreeBritney Activist
1 hour ago, ManDown said:

Next year when I run this again, I'm going to do it with 50, with the option to do a 25 ballot with slightly different point values. That way, it'll balance everything out and there won't be as many ties.

For now, once I have enough ballots (say, 25), I'll message everyone who voted thus far with instructions on how to nominate their additional "honorable mentions". They will be pointed differently and will breaks a lot of the ties we have right now. :duca:

365 songs with 17 ballots. :duca:

Yeah, that's how I was going to break some of the ties at the end. I'm sure if we finish with 50-ish ballots, the points will be distributed enough to where the winners will be clear. *fingers crossed*

I'm excited to hear that! I left out all of my favorite album cuts and a lot of my favorite music just because there wasn't enough room :jonny: Thanks so much for doing this!

I forgot to say this in the OP, but...

Once this countdown is over, I will do 150 (?) Greatest Albums Of All Time. I'll get your feedback before doing that, though, so we can figure out the ballots and pointing system. It shall be interesting.

2 minutes ago, ManDown said:

I forgot to say this in the OP, but...

Once this countdown is over, I will do 150 (?) Greatest Albums Of All Time. I'll get your feedback before doing that, though, so we can figure out the ballots and pointing system. It shall be interesting.

last year we did an album rate: https://classic.atrl.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1055565

so can't we do one for the 21st century this time (2000-2016)? just a suggestion of course :gaycat4:

Keep the lists coming guys. :duca: The top 20 is shaping up nicely.

So far:

• The average release year is: Top 5 - 1997, Top 10 - 1999, Top 20 - 2001
  • The top 20 consists of 14 different artists.
  • 15/20 songs in the top 20 had at least 3 votes.
  • Prince only has 1 song in the top 250. Michael has 2.
  • Only 4 songs out of the top 10 hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. 3 songs didn't even appear on the chart.
  • 30 songs out of the top 250 appeared on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs Of All Time list.