Ukraine Gov’t posts offensive image of Hindu Goddess Kali, insults India

ClashAndBurn

The tweet has been deleted, but Ukraine refuses to apologize.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ClashAndBurn

• Archetype

• Communion

• Navy4Life

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

BOTH Ukraine and Russia are deeply racist countries full of skinheads and neo-nazis. Still, the invasion of Ukraine is illegal and should be condemned.

• Like 1

You want Ukraine to be the villain in this war SO bad :ahh:

Edited by ZIVERT

Is this in response to India buying oil from Russia? I'm on Ukraine's side, but they need to chill a bit, especially with their social media "campaigning". 

In 2022, even after the war started, New Delhi continued to buy Russian oil at discounted rates. As a result, India has come out as one of the biggest beneficiaries of the war in Ukraine, as it has enabled New Delhi to make a backdoor entry into the European market and resell the Russian oil it has purchased at a discounted rate. As a result, India is buying more and more cheap Russian oil and exporting it to Europe after refining it into fuel. India’s high volume of crude oil imports from Russia in 2022 and 2023 have helped New Delhi boost its exports of diesel and jet fuel to Europe (India Today, April 6).

https://jamestown.org/program/india-one-of-the-biggest-beneficiaries-of-the-war-in-ukraine/

7 minutes ago, midnightdawn said:

In 2022, even after the war started, New Delhi continued to buy Russian oil at discounted rates. As a result, India has come out as one of the biggest beneficiaries of the war in Ukraine, as it has enabled New Delhi to make a backdoor entry into the European market and resell the Russian oil it has purchased at a discounted rate. As a result, India is buying more and more cheap Russian oil and exporting it to Europe after refining it into fuel. India’s high volume of crude oil imports from Russia in 2022 and 2023 have helped New Delhi boost its exports of diesel and jet fuel to Europe (India Today, April 6).

https://jamestown.org/program/india-one-of-the-biggest-beneficiaries-of-the-war-in-ukraine/

The image they shared is still inappropriate, but this is also really bad as well.  The Indian government's obsession with the USSR and Russia has always been very weird to me, especially considering the fact that India's arch-nemesis, China, is Russia's most important ally. 

Well I am not surprised. Many Ukrainians are racist as ****.

Navy4Life

I mean Ukrainians are racist af but India is also buying oil from Russia and profiting of this war immensely. Why should we feel bad if someone is making fun of them and some made up entity? 

2 hours ago, Aren said:

BOTH Ukraine and Russia are deeply racist countries full of skinheads and neo-nazis. Still, the invasion of Ukraine is illegal and should be condemned.

15 minutes ago, Embustera said:

Well I am not surprised. Many Ukrainians are racist as ****.

9 minutes ago, Navy4Life said:

I mean Ukrainians are racist af but India is also buying oil from Russia and profiting of this war immensely. Why should we feel bad if someone is making fun of them and some made up entity? 

The dumb generalizations already...

You're not any better than the people you criticize. 

55 minutes ago, ZIVERT said:

If anyone other than Putin is a villain here, it's Biden for deluding you into thinking you can win against a nuclear power whose leader is so reckless and selfish that he wouldn't hesitate to end all life as we know it as a final desperation play. Never have I claimed that Ukraine is wrong to pursue its existential fight for survival, even though you want to make me out to be a Putin supporter SO bad. :ahh: 

But... maybe the Ukrainian government should stop posting racist caricatures and offending the neutral actors that would be needed to broker a final peace deal when the Spring Counteroffensive flops due to Biden's inability to replenish their stockpiles after Zelenskyy blew it all on Bakhmut.

Navy4Life
Just now, Oceania said:

The dumb generalizations already...

You're not any better than the people you criticize. 

It is quite literally not a generalization. I am from Eastern Europe and the whole place is racist and bigoted af. Do you want to teach me about my own culture? 

Was this really Thread worthy? :rip: Modi Indians are the most terminally online, permanently pearl clutching people I know so makes sense you would identify with them

The anti Ukraine propaganda again from the usual suspects. :dies: 

What does mocking a Hindu goddess have to do with India buying Russian oil? 

Nepal has voted in support of Ukraine in nearly all votes at the UN and has a higher % of its population as practicing Hindus than India. The tweet is tactless and disrespectful. There's no way to justify it.

If you're gonna call out a country, at least call out its national or government symbols. Mocking sacred religious figures veers too closely to white supremacy because of the lines blurred between faith and culture, and that's before recognizing the countless unintended targets. There are more Hindus outside of India than there are Ukrainian citizens in the world.

Edited by Communion

1 hour ago, ZIVERT said:

I was not surprised at all when I saw the name of the thread creator. :toofunny3:

No one's denying that the image is distasteful, but it's so obvious that the only point of this thread is to make Ukraine look bad. The tweet is already deleted, so what's the point in making a whole thread about it? And to take one tweet and frame it as the entire Ukrainian government's doing just comes to show how y'all are just looking for ways to villainize the Ukrainian government.

I'm not sure how to feel about this. 

1) The tweet is definitely not... appropriate, I think I "get" what they were going for as apparently the deity is supposed to be one associated with destruction of malicious entities, but not a Marilyn skirt moment :toofunny2:

2) As a cynical atheist I am generally very ambivalent to the maldings of the hyper-religious :michael:

3) Being an Asian leftist myself that has been in many online arguments with these oversensitive Hindutva nuts (not saying all of the people outraged at this are, but there's a huge overlap), my sympathy for the "disrespect" is marginal at best. 

Not to be whataboutist but these people crying over Twitter artwork are the same ones probably cheering on as the masses lynch Muslims or as the government literally revises their school text books to wipe out Islamic rulers :deadbanana: If you expect me to come to your defence about disrespectful caricatures of deities in your religion, show me that you care about the sanctity of all religious symbols. :michael:

Of course, Ukraine didn't do this in retaliation to the mistreatment of minorities or the oil that is being bought (& re-bought by Europe). They probably thought it was just "cool". 

1 hour ago, ClashAndBurn said:

If anyone other than Putin is a villain here, it's Biden for deluding you into thinking you can win against a nuclear power whose leader is so reckless and selfish that he wouldn't hesitate to end all life as we know it as a final desperation play. 

I think you lack a really fundamental understanding about Putin's motives as well as a lack of understanding on the behaviors of nuclear powers

25 minutes ago, Jotham said:

I was not surprised at all when I saw the name of the thread creator. :toofunny3:

No one's denying that the image is distasteful, but it's so obvious that the only point of this thread is to make Ukraine look bad. The tweet is already deleted, so what's the point in making a whole thread about it? And to take one tweet and frame it as the entire Ukrainian government's doing just comes to show how y'all are just looking for ways to villainize the Ukrainian government.

Ukraine made themselves look bad by posting this racist caricature and refusing to apologize for it. Not surprised at all that a Biden stan like you would be rushing to defend the Zelenskyy administration like your life depended on it. :dies: 

1 hour ago, ClashAndBurn said:

If anyone other than Putin is a villain here, it's Biden for deluding you into thinking you can win against a nuclear power whose leader is so reckless and selfish that he wouldn't hesitate to end all life as we know it as a final desperation play. Never have I claimed that Ukraine is wrong to pursue its existential fight for survival, even though you want to make me out to be a Putin supporter SO bad. :ahh: 

Didn't the US, a nuclear power, lose HARD in Vietnam and recently in Afghanistan though? :sherlock:

Edited by bestfiction

The way I just KNEW who the OP was before I even opened the thread :dies: is your ex Ukrainian or something?

OT: they deleted the tweet so they obviously realized some people would find it offensive.

22 minutes ago, bestfiction said:

Didn't the US, a nuclear power, lose HARD in Vietnam and recently in Afghanistan though? :sherlock:

And the USSR lost hard in Afghanistan too

7 minutes ago, bestfiction said:

We weren't leveraging nuclear force against farmers hiding out in jungles and caves. Russia has been threatening nuclear deployment in the event of any greater American intervention in Ukraine than we've been giving so far since the beginning of their illegal invasion.

2 hours ago, Navy4Life said:

That's an ignorant comment. My family is Hindu. I was raised Hindu. I am not Indian.

Even if all Hindus were Indian, we should not be making fun of millions of people's faith and religion just because of the actions of their government.

western leftists when someone makes a joke about Jesus: ahahahah freedom religions sucks

when someone makes a joke about other religions: racism!

seems more racist to me this kind of condescension that seems a sort of superiority status of the more civilized (our culture can even make a joke about religion) over the less civilized (religions is still so important for these countries). 

Edited by vale9001

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.