Are creative alternative covers smart to boost sales?

Freakshowvato

99,000 pure sales for "Portals" by Melanie Martiniez, and I think some of that is attributed to all of this stunning cover art alternatives that CD collectors and her fans feel the need to purchase.

She had 4 covers that together completed a mystical creature's face. She also had 4 alternative covers that are gorgeous artwork. This is for CD's, not considering any vinyl variations.

Her second highest album was K-12, which did 30K pure copies, which is approximately 3x less than what Portals did in pure copies.

Melanie Updates 💗 PORTALS OUT NOW 💗 on Twitter: "Presave on Spotify:  https://t.co/1EQmmgWQLQ" / Twitter

Melanie Martinez - Portals

Melanie Martinez - Portals [Exclusive Cover CD]

Melanie Martinez - PORTALS [Indie Exclusive Limited Edition Low Price Alt Cover 2 of 4]

Melanie Martinez - PORTALS [Indie Exclusive Limited Edition Low Price Alt Cover 4 of 4]

Melanie Martinez - Portals (Indie Exclusive, CD, Special Pricing, Alte –  Nail City Record

Demi also did creative albums with 3 alternative covers / a Target edition / a UK exclusive edition, and sold nearly 40K pure copies with DWTDAOSO (and 20K in UK), compared to 20K pure copies (and 6K in UK) with HOLYFVCK which did not have any real alternative covers/editions or even any Target bonus tracks (there was like 1 posted on Demi's website but most Demi fans did not buy it bc it was very ugly and uninspired, did not fit the original album's theme at all and was basically Demi's spotify picture as the album cover lmao). That is a difference of nearly 2x more pure copy sales with exclusive alternative editions

Demi Lovato - "SKIN OF MY TEETH" - Page 34 - Music - ATRL

Edited by Freakshowvato

I think if the cover art is stunning and artistic, this is a genius way to boost sales. It is creative, the fans love it, and the artist benefits a lot commercially.

However, I think if the alternative covers are mundane and do not serve a purpose at all and are just uninspired alternative editions, this method fails and only chart-obsessed fans will help out and purchase more copies.

If done right, everyone benefits. In the case of Portals and DWTDTAOSO both have an other worldly psychedelic feel that allows the introduction of stunning alternative covers

littlebodybigheart

it doesn’t work for everybody. a lot of people have done this and haven’t sold much

however, it is smart and can boost sales if they serve a purpose and if the concept is done correctly.

I don’t mind it I guess.. but I would never buy all of them for any artist 

Personally I would never buy them all, but a lot of people certainly do, so I guess it's not a bad strategy. As a fan, it's definitely nice to have options. That way, for example, I can pretend that the standard covers for COCC and Blue Banisters don't exist and that the Neil Krug ones are the real ones. 

Yes, but only if you can sell them. And most cannot.

I mean if it can double or triple an artist's pure copies sales that's pretty good.

It needs to be creative though and worth purchasing.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.