Who's more of a legend: Taylor Swift or Beyoncé?

GardenPanty

Legend status  

479 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you consider more of a legend

• Taylor Swift
    • Beyoncé

Taylor and it’s not even close, considering she is only 33 and still at the peak of her career 

No shade to Beyoncé, she is great either but Taylor is simply too strong and at literally every metric, she is one of the most accomplished artist ever cause her really has the success, awards, number, acclaimed, celebrity status, influence on artists/industry all by her side

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Monster Queen

• The Music Industry

• Axelios

• Solaria

Beyonce's identity transcends music - she's not just a global music superstar , her pop culture relevance, critical acclaim, changing the game with visual releases 

Her resume could fill a room 

It’s Beyoncé. The Taylor stans keep bringing up metrics/numbers but that’s a faulty argument because if that’s what it took make a legend so many would not clear that bar :rip: Prince, Tina Turner, Aretha Franklin etc. All certified legends with respectable numbers but not to the level of Swift. No one would say that Taylor is a bigger legend than any of them… And the same applies to Beyoncé in this case. Some things transcends numbers and the Swift fans are missing that part. 

I do think Taylor will be a legend in her own way with her songwriting.

1 minute ago, suneclipse121 said:

It’s Beyoncé. The Taylor stans keep bringing up metrics/numbers but that’s a faulty argument because if that’s what it took make a legend so many would not clear that bar :rip: Prince, Tina Turner, Aretha Franklin etc. All certified legends with respectable numbers but not to the level of Swift. No one would say that Taylor is a bigger legend than any of them… And the same applies to Beyoncé in this case. Some things transcends numbers and the Swift fans are missing that part. 

Not a single stan in this thread says the number is the only important factor to make someone a legend:rip: We're literally arguing with those people who said Taylor only has the number or has no legacy which is a completely delusional joke. 

3 minutes ago, suneclipse121 said:

I do think Taylor will be a legend in her own way with her songwriting.

This is true

To say Beyoncé is all smokes and mirrors is such a blatant microagression. If you were to take Beyonce out of the MPG equation you’d be left with little to no black women representing the current/last generation of pop music apart from Rihanna, who was constantly being compared to Beyoncé despite being vastly different, sonically speaking. Beyoncé set a standard in this regard. A lot rising black pop stars can’t even dodge the “next Beyoncé” narrative which is insufferable, but obviously a thing. 
This topic also brings into question why a woman like Aretha Franklin is deemed the “bigger legend” than someone like Brenda Lee (who sold way more records than Aretha throughout the 60s). Since some want to insinuate sales/streams is the be all end all. Meanwhile Bey’s the most legendary female performer and a staple in black culture. She stands out from your ordinary pop star be it Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga or Britney Spears. Like one can easily argue that Britney was THEE biggest pop star of the 2000s, yet Bey still has stronger recurrent streams between both DC and her solo 00s catalog, so what is the truth? 

1 hour ago, Love Again said:

1989 is a much more accesible pop album and had more hits than Lemonade had.. what’s not clicking

But I was told Beyoncé makes modern classics? Surely THE lemonade along with accompanying film would be making more noise than this?

1 hour ago, R. Ramirez said:

Keep dreaming babe.

Beyoncé has inspired my fav (Lady Gaga), Adele, Rihanna, Ariana Grande, Paul McCartney, Garth Brooks, etc.. All these figures are MAJOR artists, that's much more impressive than influencing a bunch of newbies as Olivia Rodrigo.

Beyoncé is seen in the industry as THE blueprint for PERFORMERS and VOCALISTS.

Taylor Swift is the definition of white mediocrity. Yikes, imagine stanning that mediocre singer and comparing her to Beyoncé. :deadbanana4:

“Inspiration” and “I like them a lot” are not equivalent. I can’t listen to any of these girls and think “yep this has Beyoncé buried in it” meanwhile Olivia not only feels like a Taylor clone but literally samples her twice on the debut

1 hour ago, Redstreak said:

There’s no measurable metric that doesn’t have Taylor at the top, sorry. I feel like a forum consisting of ATRLs demographic confuse wanting to cosplay as Beyoncé as something more than it is

The metrics of talent show that Beyoncé is much more analogous to previous legends than Taylor is. 

1 hour ago, Redstreak said:

There’s no measurable metric that doesn’t have Taylor at the top, sorry.

This Right here is exact why these types of discussions don’t need to be had on ATRL. Legendary status is not all about sales and chart accomplishments. There are plenty of artists that are far less successful than the two and are ubiquitous legends. 

Taylor is less influential as an artist and we’re JUST now seeing some clones arise. Taylor will be a legend in a few years. As of now she’s an Icon  

1 hour ago, Monster Queen said:

Does Ed Sheeran have 3x AOTY? :rip:

Does Ed Sheeran influence any new generation artist like Olivia? :rip:

Does Ed Sheeran change genre successfully like what Taylor has done? :rip:

Does the music critic and industry have the same opinion about these two artist? :rip:

How dare you put these two artists in the same sentence? This is disrespectful

Is Billie Eilish a bigger legend than Madonna because she won AOTY? Is Bruno Mars a bigger legend than Prince because he has an AOTY Grammy?

11 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

The metrics of talent show that Beyoncé is much more analogous to previous legends than Taylor is. 

Whatever that means, I’m sure there are people that think a lot of pop stars are talented ❤️

7 minutes ago, Bey_Rihstan said:

This Right here is exact why these types of discussions don’t need to be had on ATRL. Legendary status is not all about sales and chart accomplishments. There are plenty of artists that are far less successful than the two and are ubiquitous legends. 

Taylor is less influential as an artist and we’re JUST now seeing some clones arise. Taylor will be a legend in a few years. As of now she’s an Icon  

Taylor has literally gotten the biggest music companies to change how they handle paying their artists and how those artists go about discussing their masters, Beyoncé has cool girl swag and some over fawning headlines I guess?

Edited by Redstreak

9 minutes ago, Redstreak said:

Whatever that means, I’m sure there are people that think a lot of pop stars are talented ❤️

Beyoncé is one of the best dancers and vocalists of the 21st century. Her performance ability alone puts her on the level of many legends. Taylor doesn’t compare to them at all on these metrics. 

4 hours ago, littlebodybigheart said:

taylor obviously

unless you’re like 30+

isn’t Taylor about to enter her mid 30s herself? :ace: 

I don’t like any but I voted Beyoncé because she has seniority status.

9 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Beyoncé is one of the best dancers and vocalists of the 21st century. Her performance ability alone puts her on the level of many legends. Taylor doesn’t compare to them at all on these metrics. 

I’m sure the 500 daily streamers she gets are very excited at the talent!

littlebodybigheart
5 minutes ago, Richie.Valdez said:

isn’t Taylor about to enter her mid 30s herself? :ace: 

I don’t like any but I voted Beyoncé because she has seniority status.

yeah but only gay millenials care about beyonce is what i’m saying :rip: people haven’t really been checking for her for the past like 10 years.

2 hours ago, byzantium said:

She already is more influential though.  

Beyoncé’s influence runs through Taylor, bfr :lmao:

It's clearly Beyoncé.  Why are there 9 pages debating this? :biblio:

4 minutes ago, littlebodybigheart said:

yeah but only gay millenials care about beyonce is what i’m saying :rip: people haven’t really been checking for her for the past like 10 years.

Maybe because Beyoncé doesn’t cater to PG audiences like Taylor? Taylor still makes music for kids therefore her audience is wider… but white-only :gaycat5:

littlebodybigheart
1 minute ago, Richie.Valdez said:

Maybe because Beyoncé doesn’t cater to PG audiences like Taylor? Taylor still makes music for kids therefore her audience is wider… but white-only :gaycat5:

what’s risqué about beyonces music? quickly.

4 hours ago, FolkLover1989 said:

The so called impace , legendary carrer blah blah

Multiple Countries President, In Latam , Asia etc.. are referencing Taylor  

She is breaking every record possible

Tour demand is insane

Her tracks are more famous than Beyonce's singles 

But as per atrl Beyonce is legend lol

With this logic, Taylor is also more of a legend than Aretha Franklin, Tupac, Prince, etc. Music legends has always never been about sales and stats.

Especially when one of the artists is a black woman who sings polarising adult contemporary music that is does not appeal to misogynistic men, young kids and generally less non-black audience while the other one is a white woman that mostly keep her songs safe which appeals to most demographics including kids. Only makes sense for Taylor to sell more and have bigger tours.

Madonna wasn’t a legend just because of the numbers. She took lots of risks with her career and made political statements with her music which were highly influential and made her the legend she is today. Beyoncé is similar in that part. Taylor isn’t. Taylor is the blandest and safest megastar in history of music. She sacrificed risks for success and stayed safe to maintain her mass appeal which is fine. 

4 minutes ago, littlebodybigheart said:

what’s risqué about beyonces music? quickly.

I’m not a fan of Beyoncé but she definitely doesn’t make music for children like Taylor.. her lyrics, image, music videos… everything screams calculated and formulated to be accepted by all all-ages, republicans and democrats.. white-only though :gaycat5:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.