Polish pop girl performs as “Nelly” in Blackface, judges love it!

Raphy23

17 minutes ago, naval23 said:

Omg it's 2023 :deadbanana2:

How did they think this was okay

We (Hungary) have the same show in here and the contestants do the blackface also. It was never a problem in here since the most of us barely saw a black person in real life, so racism in this form never existed.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blankspace2010

• Raphy23

• Xder

• Karla Cabello

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Gwendolyn said:

Here yall go with Eastern Europe is different. Every single time racism is brought up yall defend these regions by saying they don't know better. THEY DO! They consider it cancel culture when called out and called a 'Americal ideal' eveh when black europeans (like me and numerous others) call then out. They don't care.

Sis educate yourself. Blackface is offensive due to American history - not Eastern European history. Americans used it to depict black people in a demeaning and inferior way. 

Blackface is much more than just dark makeup used to enhance a costume.

Its American origins can be traced to minstrel shows. In the mid to late nineteenth century, white actors would routinely use black grease paint on their faces when depicting plantation slaves and free blacks on stage.

To be clear, these weren't flattering representations. At all. Taking place against the backdrop of a society that systematically mistreated and dehumanized black people, they were mocking portrayals that reinforced the idea that African-Americans were inferior in every way.

The blackface caricatures that were staples of Minstrelsy (think: Mammy, Uncle Tom, Buck, and Jezebel) took a firm hold in the American imagination, and carried over into other mediums of entertainment.

Y’all are too woke and scream racist at everything. That person was in no way depicting Nelly as inferior or mocking him in any way - in fact by the article it states the judges applauded and gave accolades to Nellys talent. 

Poland is racist and homophobic. Idk what's the surprise? We closed ourselves after the world wars and we are scared of "different". We don't have history with treating Black people bad, so stupid TV shows just don't see anything wrong with doing blackface. Y'all can send thoughts and prayers for the POC, LGBT+ people and women in Poland cuz we've been going through some **** for years now, but maybe one day it will change for the better. :heart2:

23 minutes ago, Gwendolyn said:

Isn't Poland quite behind when I comes to racism? Their treatment of refugees is disappointing but not surprised.

Also you can play a black singer and not do blackface :rip:

Ok I’m not a fan of many Polands policies. But what I’ll give Poland is that they don’t have a history of Black peoples and racism in their culture, so this is not a problem like it is in the western world. BUT I think they should still avoid the blackface makeup when they do these :rip: 

3 minutes ago, Blankspace2010 said:

Sis they are not defending black face but America has a long dark history of enslaving, and declassifying black people. There’s a huge line of events that lead to extremely severe connotations of black face that don’t exist in Poland. America isn’t the world and your view points in America aren’t the “right” ones.

Obviously because you’ll never be able to look past your institutionalised thinking of your culture and country - you’ll clutch your pearls and call people racists for acknowledging that this doesn’t necessarily imply racism in Polish culture. Lots of cultures emulate, pay tribute to and praise other cultures through imitations and it’s seen as a huge honour to those cultures. 

I’m not necessarily saying this is right and it’s very unnecessary but I don’t like that the automatic every country must have experienced social development the same as America. 

What the **** are you talking about? I'm not American, I'm European and it is absolutely racist to use blackface in any context. The fact that you try to limit the history of enslaving and declassifying black people to just America just proves your ignorance on the matter :rip: The institutionalised thinking is you bending over backwards to defend some racist Europeans who find it funny to mock black people like a halloween costume and then feign it as "emulating" and "paying tribute" :rip:

1 minute ago, halcyonday said:

Poland is racist and homophobic. Idk what's the surprise? We closed ourselves after the world wars and we are scared of "different". We don't have history with treating Black people bad, so stupid TV shows just don't see anything wrong with doing blackface. Y'all can send thoughts and prayers for the POC, LGBT+ people and women in Poland cuz we've been going through some **** for years now, but maybe one day it will change for the better. :heart2:

No surprise that Poland and Hungary are friends. :dies: 

10 minutes ago, Blankspace2010 said:

Sis they are not defending black face but America has a long dark history of enslaving, and declassifying black people. There’s a huge line of events that lead to extremely severe connotations of black face that don’t exist in Poland.

So European colonialism didn't happen? Even Poland tried several times to take part in that.

25 minutes ago, AdrianNicki said:

Define "love it" because there is nothing in this clip that tells me they loved it. This show is a hot mess in general. Most of performances are bad and I feel like they've been inviting bunch of nobodies tbh. I have no clue who that lady is and I'm Polish. I'm surprised this show keeps going.

Oh I watched the show live at my parents place. They are big fans of this show 🤐

2 minutes ago, cockatoo said:

Why do people still insist blackface is a US only thing? The UK had a show up until the 1970s called the black and white minstrel show where performers wore blackface. It's now largely seen as an embarrassment that it was ever allowed to air and blackface is very much seen as racist here.

Cultural appropriation: Sometimes it's so blatant it smacks us in the face,  other times it can be a total minefield | The Independent | The Independent

Also the Netherlands has a tradition called Zwarte Piet (Black Pete) which involves performers wearing blackface. In the past couple of years they've switched over to a different character called Roetveegpiet (Sooty Pete) due to the backlash from their own people about how racist it was.

Zwarte Piet on the left and the new Roetveegpiet on the right.

Zwarte Piet: Black Pete is 'Dutch racism in full display' | Racism | Al  JazeeraRTL kiest voor Schoorsteenpiet

This is not just a US issue and lots of Europeans know that blackface is bad.

Blackface is not a US thing only but its racial connotations are directly linked to US history and are offensive to American culture due to its history. 

Again;

Blackface is much more than just dark makeup used to enhance a costume.

Its American origins can be traced to minstrel shows. In the mid to late nineteenth century, white actors would routinely use black grease paint on their faces when depicting plantation slaves and free blacks on stage.

To be clear, these weren't flattering representations. At all. Taking place against the backdrop of a society that systematically mistreated and dehumanized black people, they were mocking portrayals that reinforced the idea that African-Americans were inferior in every way.

The blackface caricatures that were staples of Minstrelsy (think: Mammy, Uncle Tom, Buck, and Jezebel) took a firm hold in the American imagination, and carried over into other mediums of entertainment.

Like said above - black face may not necessarily feel racist in other cultures because it wasn’t used a propaganda weapon to push white supremacy in other countries like it was in America. And excuse me, but I am not a fan of Americans narcissistic attitudes to the world in assuming we all share the same bias and cultural history as them. 

11 minutes ago, TasteOfYourLips said:

Because we didn't do minstrel shows nor had slavery. Not everything revolves around America.

Our Polish ancestors were the slaves and imprisoned in concentration camps by Nazi :!ohno:

4 minutes ago, Miichael said:

What the **** are you talking about? I'm not American, I'm European and it is absolutely racist to use blackface in any context. The fact that you try to limit the history of enslaving and declassifying black people to just America just proves your ignorance on the matter :rip: The institutionalised thinking is you bending over backwards to defend some racist Europeans who find it funny to mock black people like a halloween costume and then feign it as "emulating" and "paying tribute" :rip:

In no way am I doing that. But black face wasn’t used as a propaganda machine to push white supremacy in Europe - especially far reaching sides of Eastern Europe. In fact black face is so taboo now due to social media, cancel culture and the globalisation of American bias and sensitivities being pushed and streamlined across the internet. 

Like I’ve said - personally I find it uncomfortable but I am not ready to cancel a bunch of people that do not associate this with racism due to Americas disgusting and depraved history of violence, entrapment  and aggression against black people and their unwillingness to still improve on that matter. 

7 minutes ago, halcyonday said:

Im standing with you! :heart2: It’s getting really scary to be LGBTQ+ lately, even in North America :!ohno:

3 minutes ago, Blankspace2010 said:

Blackface is not a US thing only but its racial connotations are directly linked to US history and are offensive to American culture due to its history. 

Again;

Like said above - black face may not necessarily feel racist in other cultures because it wasn’t used a propaganda weapon to push white supremacy in other countries like it was in America. And excuse me, but I am not a fan of Americans narcissistic attitudes to the world in assuming we all share the same bias and cultural history as them. 

I'm not American either but I still know blackface is offensive. The origin doesn't really matter, Polish people have access to the internet the same as everyone else. If people chose to be ignorant and uninformed about what is and isn't racist in 2023 then I don't really know what to say.

7 minutes ago, Miichael said:

so here black singer does whiteface? would you call that racism too? or are you just dragging white people

1 minute ago, Xder said:

so here black singer does whiteface? would you call that racism too? or are you just dragging white people

Not available in my country :'(

6 minutes ago, The Next Day said:

So European colonialism didn't happen? Even Poland tried several times to take part in that.

Who said that? Why are you generalising the topic. I’m specifically talking about black face and its ties to American history. Poland doesn’t have this history with black face. Y’all are really trying to be purposely obtuse about this. Blackface is absolutely associated with Americas history of white supremacy brain washing and propaganda. I don’t think this is right but Eastern Europe doesn’t associate offensiveness with this type of costuming as America does. America needs to be held accountable for its disgusting history of utilising black face to demean black people, spread false propaganda of black people to push their white supremacy agenda. This hasn’t developed the same way in other cultures or countries. It’s hard to look at this objectively but if you cannot, that’s fine. It’s at least respectable that you are fighting for the right side despite being purposely ignorant on this specific matter. 

THAT WAS NOTHING LIKE NELLY! this person is just mocking nelly, whether intentional or not. it's embarrassing and she looks stupid and is just doing some stereotypical black person who wants to be a rapper. I don't know what her intentions were but there's definitely some racism going on here.

i will say they at least did the blackface tastefully as opposed to the idiots who use straight up use black paint but she just looks stupid and i'd be super offended if I was Nelly. Like if you're just going to butcher the song like that then just stay the **** away from the song because she looks like a clown and then i see idiots in here saying "oh but the judges loved it" yeah stupid thats part of the issue here.

Edited by CrimsonX

6 minutes ago, The Next Day said:

When exactly? We were colonized from 1795 till 1989 with a small break for 20 years between World Wars.

10 minutes ago, cockatoo said:

Why do people still insist blackface is a US only thing? The UK had a show up until the 1970s called the black and white minstrel show where performers wore blackface. It's now largely seen as an embarrassment that it was ever allowed to air and blackface is very much seen as racist here.

Cultural appropriation: Sometimes it's so blatant it smacks us in the face,  other times it can be a total minefield | The Independent | The Independent

Also the Netherlands has a tradition called Zwarte Piet (Black Pete) which involves performers wearing blackface. In the past couple of years they've switched over to a different character called Roetveegpiet (Sooty Pete) due to the backlash from their own people about how racist it was.

Zwarte Piet on the left and the new Roetveegpiet on the right.

Zwarte Piet: Black Pete is 'Dutch racism in full display' | Racism | Al  JazeeraRTL kiest voor Schoorsteenpiet

This is not just a US issue and lots of Europeans know that blackface is bad.

Western Europe =/= Eastern Europe. Eastern Europe sans russia was colonized by Western Europe just like the rest of the world. Those exact people invented slavery and minstrel shows.

2 minutes ago, cockatoo said:

I'm not American either but I still know blackface is offensive. The origin doesn't really matter, Polish people have access to the internet the same as everyone else. If people chose to be ignorant and uninformed about what is and isn't racist in 2023 then I don't really know what to say.

Why should Polish people change their cultural norms for American history. Americans must adjust their culture to amend their wrongdoings. Yes we all have access to the internet. Yea it’s completely unnecessary. My point is that even though many may see it as wrong, that in Poland this doesn’t have the same connotations as in the US. There’s Polish users in here telling you this now, yet you want Eastern European cultures to use the internet to research American history and ideals and adapt their culture to American culture.

Talk about thinking you are the centre of the world. America has to adapt its thinking that nobody outside of America cares about American culture. Deal with your own history your way. America absolutely has to amend its behaviour and make retributions for its past use of black face. Polish people didn’t use black face to push white supremacy agenda for centuries. So why would it mean the same thing there?

41 minutes ago, Machete said:

Here comes the white European users insisting racism is only a thing in America and no one in the 99% white countries care about race (when actual Black Europeans speak out on racism too but are silenced)...

bingo! :giraffe:

Poland isn't really known for a proud tradition of anti-racism. :skull:

Just ask any user defending this how Roma people are treated in Poland.

19 minutes ago, prézli said:

No surprise that Poland and Hungary are friends. :dies: 

Polak, Węgier, dwa bratanki :eli:

Ew at the random right-wing coded language and racist dogwhistles in here. "Y'all are too woke" and "let's not cancel people!", can we not? :toofunny3:

White people living in (nearly) all-white areas in the middle of nowhere have to be one of the most oversensitive group of people to walk on earth. Yes, we're all aware that demographics in your area aren't used to blackness and anti-immigration feelings are on the rise, but at the end of the day, Nelly is an african-american man.

You do NOT get to portray someone from a different cultural background and feel upset when people of said background point out insensitive/historically inaccurate aspects of that depiction. No one has time for the overdefensive and self-victimizing language, toughen up and learn how to interact with people of different backgrounds than yours.

OT: The performance was awful. It looks like the standards are very low on polish talent shows!

Edited by Scars

42 minutes ago, Bussea said:

Biīch, are you stupid 

gdkhfbdkf :deadbanana4: