Polish pop girl performs as “Nelly” in Blackface, judges love it!

Raphy23

This is her:

09ee30e3-29bc-4c3f-b095-89aa93aa74a1.jpe

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blankspace2010

• Raphy23

• Xder

• Karla Cabello

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok and what?:bloo:

Nelly is black person?? Not???

Edited by Xder

6 minutes ago, Xder said:

???

Yea, this happens really often

people in those countries dont really see blackface as something racist

3 minutes ago, Aramis said:

What we should expect tho

Xder

This program is about reproducing a given character so what is strange about it. black people dressed up as white artists too. you're looking for problems

7 minutes ago, Rev8 said:

Yea, this happens really often

people in those countries dont really see blackface as something racist

If a black person dresses up as a white artist, do you see that as racism? Or do you have double standards?

Is this show about mocking people cause she did that well. Can't rap for **** but went through the trouble of blackface and I guess that's supposed to be a respectful tribute?

That performance was a hot mess. If the judges loved that, it exposes the lack of musical talent in that area :doc:

Edited by Mean Trees

I mean countries have a different society and also history than Usa. 

When 99% of people are from same race basically you can't perform all the artists from a different race?. Maybe they can insist less on the make up but it's not mocking someone, it's really a tribute to the talent of an artist.

This is a very popular format in all the world... Latinas are doing white people, black people all the time, asians are doing white and black people all the time. 

this is a chinese man doing Taylor Swift in the chinese version

here someone from Mongolia doing Doja Cat

Here comes the white European users insisting racism is only a thing in America and no one in the 99% white countries care about race (when actual Black Europeans speak out on racism too but are silenced)...

Define "love it" because there is nothing in this clip that tells me they loved it. This show is a hot mess in general. Most of performances are bad and I feel like they've been inviting bunch of nobodies tbh. I have no clue who that lady is and I'm Polish. I'm surprised this show keeps going.

Edited by AdrianNicki

34 minutes ago, Xder said:

Biīch, are you stupid 

Eastern Europe is a different culture than the US. Blackface isn’t automatically considered offensive in every culture and country worldwide. Americans need to stop forcing their ideals and sensitivities down everybody’s throats. 

However, I think it’s unnecessary to do blackface but Polish people don’t have the history US has and this doesn’t have the same ramifications or meanings there. 

I still find it unnecessary and due to my knowledge and experience in NA - I find it offensive - even though it isn’t necessarily the same meaning in Eastern Europe :deadbanana2:

Maybe yall should stop projecting US cultural standards to Europe. Black face was never a problem here and the negative perception of it only comes from US history, not ours. It's giving "Spain should stop using the word negra/negro!!!!!!!" 

2 minutes ago, Miichael said:

Not those two users in here literally defending blackface :deadbanana2:

Sis they are not defending black face but America has a long dark history of enslaving, and declassifying black people. There’s a huge line of events that lead to extremely severe connotations of black face that don’t exist in Poland. America isn’t the world and your view points in America aren’t the “right” ones.

Obviously because you’ll never be able to look past your institutionalised thinking of your culture and country - you’ll clutch your pearls and call people racists for acknowledging that this doesn’t necessarily imply racism in Polish culture. Lots of cultures emulate, pay tribute to and praise other cultures through imitations and it’s seen as a huge honour to those cultures. 

I’m not necessarily saying this is right and it’s very unnecessary but I don’t like that the automatic every country must have experienced social development the same as America. 

11 minutes ago, naval23 said:

Omg it's 2023 :deadbanana2:

How did they think this was okay

Because we didn't do minstrel shows nor had slavery. Not everything revolves around America.

5 minutes ago, Blankspace2010 said:

Eastern Europe is a different culture than the US. Blackface isn’t automatically considered offensive in every culture and country worldwide. Americans need to stop forcing their ideals and sensitivities down everybody’s throats. 

However, I think it’s unnecessary to do blackface but Polish people don’t have the history US has and this doesn’t have the same ramifications or meanings there. 

I still find it unnecessary and due to my knowledge and experience in NA - I find it offensive - even though it isn’t necessarily the same meaning in Eastern Europe :deadbanana2:

Here yall go with Eastern Europe is different. Every single time racism is brought up yall defend these regions by saying they don't know better. THEY DO! They consider it cancel culture when called out and called a 'Americal ideal' eveh when black europeans (like me and numerous others) call then out. They don't care.

38 minutes ago, prézli said:

She sounds nothing like Nelly. :rip: 

:rip: she nailed it according to the judges 

Why do people still insist blackface is a US only thing? The UK had a show up until the 1970s called the black and white minstrel show where performers wore blackface. It's now largely seen as an embarrassment that it was ever allowed to air and blackface is very much seen as racist here.

Cultural appropriation: Sometimes it's so blatant it smacks us in the face,  other times it can be a total minefield | The Independent | The Independent

Also the Netherlands has a tradition called Zwarte Piet (Black Pete) which involves performers wearing blackface. In the past couple of years they've switched over to a different character called Roetveegpiet (Sooty Pete) due to the backlash from their own people about how racist it was.

Zwarte Piet on the left and the new Roetveegpiet on the right.

Zwarte Piet: Black Pete is 'Dutch racism in full display' | Racism | Al  JazeeraRTL kiest voor Schoorsteenpiet

This is not just a US issue and lots of Europeans know that blackface is bad.