Aaron Dessner defends working with Ed Sheeran

Nefertiti0

In a new interview with The Guardian, Dessner said that he wanted to bring out “the vulnerability and emotion in Ed to make music that would not normally be his inclination” and “didn’t feel the need to try to make pop music”.

Addressing any backlash to the collaboration, Dessner said: “He’s made giant pop records that are easy to criticise, but on a human and artistic level, he’s so gifted and lovely. It couldn’t have been more natural, fun and rewarding to feel him jumping off the cliff with me. Over time, I’ve tired of the ‘what’s cool?’ debate.”

The pair worked on 32 songs together in a studio in Kent, 14 of which feature on Subtract.

The pair would continue to work together, Dessner said, and have made more than 30 new songs since Kent. “I’m even more excited about those – I feel we’re getting better.”

theguardian.com

Why does he need to defend who he works with :rip:

littlebodybigheart
4 minutes ago, Insanity said:

have you ever had friends?

I'm confused by the term 'defends'. What is the issue with him working with Ed Sheeran? Why would he need to defend it? :doc:

Why does he need to defend it? It’s not like Ed’s a murderer or something

Don't know if there's backlash, it's possible. The "sell out!" crowd is still active, even if they're not that strong as they were 20 years ago. But alternative/indie artist working with the ultimate mainstream act is an easy target for those people.

It's like a conversation with the journalist..so we don't have any answer written but probably the journalist asked him "do you care about the criticism?" etc..

9 minutes ago, The Next Day said:

Don't know if there's backlash, it's possible. The "sell out!" crowd is still active, even if they're not that strong as they were 20 years ago. But alternative/indie artist working with the ultimate mainstream act is an easy target for those people.

Has he ever been considered an alternative artist? No shade but I thought he's always made run of the mill radio fodder pop music :rip:

Screaming at the title wording acting like Aaron worked with Dr Luke or R Kelly :bibliahh: :deadbanana4:

1 minute ago, HotFriedChicken said:

Has he ever been considered an alternative artist? No shade but I thought he's always made run of the mill radio fodder pop music :rip:

yeah they are really regarded by indie rock fans as true indie artists :cupid:

21 minutes ago, Walk_Away21 said:

Screaming at the title wording acting like Aaron worked with Dr Luke or R Kelly :bibliahh: :deadbanana4:

Like - :gaycat7:

Ed gets a lot of **** but he's extremely unproblematic and seems really nice 

Is the backlash in the room with us right now?

59 minutes ago, MrLovett said:

I'm confused by the term 'defends'. What is the issue with him working with Ed Sheeran? Why would he need to defend it? :doc:

Because people gets on off hating Ed Sheeran. Aaron probably got heat for working with him.

I do not like Ed Sheeran's music. But wtf. This man should not have to defend who he works with. It is not like Ed has actually done anything to be a bad person. I am guessing people are calling him a sellout maybe. Well if you think that I see you don't have bills to pay and you're immature. Like you realize you can make money and still have other artistic endeavors in your solo work right? 

1 hour ago, HotFriedChicken said:

I mean, The National is not exactly radio candy, especially compared to Ed. But their music isn't obscure indie stuff either. The whole discussion boils down to "whatever sells less = good music", which has never been true, but stuck up music fans stay pressed because they make "being indie" their whole personality while they listen to artists who aren't even independent. It's just an image thing.

I don't get how he's can be accused of being a sellout for working with Ed Sheeran when this isn't even the first time he's working with a mainstream pop artist. He made two albums with Taylor Swift :rip:

2 hours ago, HotFriedChicken said:

No Ed is not alternative. :dies: 

he had some folk pop crowd buzz during his debut tho

Sell out?? No one budged when he worked with Taylor.

Why tf do you need to defend who you work with. Ed's boring and his past success is not really that deserved.. but that's not your issue as a collaborator. He's not a murderer or rapist.

Can't stand Aaron Dessner's arrogant snobbery towards pop music.

Does he really think that he's more musically talented because he makes watered down boring music? Folklore and Evermore were successful because of Taylor, not him.

4 hours ago, Walk_Away21 said:

4 hours ago, Insanity said:

This. I thought I missed something :deadbanana2::dies:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.