Vice Media cancels its flagship ‘Vice News Tonight’

Gwendolyn

New YorkCNN — 

Vice Media will cancel its acclaimed program “Vice News Tonight” as part of a broad restructuring that will result in painful cuts across the organization, the company said Thursday.

“In response to the current market conditions and business realities facing [Vice Media Group] and the broader news and media industry, we are moving forward on some painful but necessary reductions, primarily across our News business,” co-chief executives Bruce Dixon and Hozefa Lokhandwala announced in a memo to employees.

Dixon and Lokhandwala, who stressed that news is “core” to the larger company and that it will not “exit” the business, added, “We are transforming Vice News to better withstand market realities and more closely align with how and where we see our audiences engaging with our content most.”

The cuts will result in dozens of employees losing their jobs, people familiar with the matter told CNN, with the company’s Washington, D.C., bureau being hit particularly hard. The exact number of jobs lost by the changes, however, was not clear.

The restructuring will have major implications on news teams at Vice Media.

The company will sunset the Vice World News brand and fold its operations under the Vice News umbrella, giving the company a singular news brand. It will also slash its dedicated audio unit, as well as the Vice World News short form video team.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/04/27/media/vice-news-tonight-canceled/index.html

I thought they already had? I guess it was just signals they would.

So it'll just be their online stories then. They've broken some important news in just that format, but their visual reporting has been so vital that this is a big loss. I'm thinking especially of their interviews, protest coverage and documentaries. 

Sad but inevitable when ad revenue losses and media mergers were announced elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Espresso said:

I thought they already had? I guess it was just signals they would.

So it'll just be their online stories then. They've broken some important news in just that format, but their visual reporting has been so vital that this is a big loss. I'm thinking especially of their interviews, protest coverage and documentaries. 

Sad but inevitable when ad revenue losses and media mergers were announced elsewhere.

It's the less successful Vice Network show not the one they used to produce for HBO and still do for Showtime

16 hours ago, Heidi's Chair said:

It's the less successful Vice Network show not the one they used to produce for HBO and still do for Showtime

Really confusing, thank you. Hmm. I used to watch the one on HBO religiously but now mostly YouTube anyways so it doesn’t make a big difference. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.