Pig Abattoir Ceases Operations After Ripping Pig’s Testicles Off And Other Abuse

GraceRandolph

Earlier this year, animal activists broke into abattoirs to film pigs being stunned using carbon dioxide gas — a process that is legal and widespread. In March, 7.30 aired some of the never-before-seen footage, sparking calls for an urgent investigation and greater scrutiny of the pork industry. When lawyers for Animals Australia later reviewed the hours of footage the activists had captured, they discovered multiple examples of what they allege is animal cruelty at Melbourne abattoir Australian Food Group (AFG). Legal counsel Shatha Hamade said she believed it was not just the gas that caused suffering.

"We were actually quite shocked and disturbed by the footage because what we realised was that the entire process of pig gassing, the entire operation is in and of itself cruel," she said. The footage captured at the Australian Food Group abattoir in Laverton, in Melbourne's south-west, shows pigs being repeatedly struck with paddles, prodded and kicked as they are loaded into steel cages called "gondolas". On several occasions, pigs' legs or feet appear to be stuck in the machinery and in one scene, an animal's testicles are torn off as the gondola descends towards the gas.

"What is so horrific about this is not just the fact his [testicles have] been ripped off but that it is just before going down into the dip, into the gas chamber to be gassed," Ms Hamade said. In Victoria, animals used in farming and meat production are exempt from the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act as long as their use complies with relevant codes and standards.

Ms Hamade alleges that the footage shows the abattoir has breached the Australian standard for the hygienic production and transportation of meat products and should therefore be investigated for any potential contraventions of animal cruelty laws.

what the ****

pigs are our friends, we shouldn’t eat them

I try to avoid stories on animal cruelty cause they're distressing and there's nothing I can do. Don't know if I could give up meat for good but once I start my career I'll be buying free range, that's for sure.

I didn't really give up meat completley but I am def eating less and less of it. There are some great and tasty alternatives. I don't want no animal to die a horrific death, where it gets castrated by accident before getting killed. 

Been vegan for 7 years now, this is heartbreaking 

20 hours ago, Poxy said:

Been vegan for 7 years now, this is heartbreaking 

The conditions are horrifying:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.