Have I just ruined my company's car?

Hot Volcano

I was returning from a conference driving my company's car when I was about 20mins away from my company where I was supposed to leave the car, some car accident happened right in front of me. 

It was already dark and the only way to reach the company was by circuling around a hill. I decided to give it a shot, but since it was dark I didnt expect it to be so uphill, at some point the car wouldn't move, so I panicked and I guess I tried too many stuff at once until it worked. I parked it for a second to check Google maps once again, then some guy came up to me and said he saw smoke coming out of the car and asked if everything was ok. Only then I realised I might have ****** something up. I got out of the car and it smelled like something burned. He said since its a good car I shouldnt have any problem driving back to my company. But that worried me, I even started feeling the smell inside the car. So I decided to wait for the police to clear everything out, sat in a cafe thinking after an hour the car would cool off and there would be no smell.

However, after 2 hours it was still there. In the end I returned it to the company and now I'm being a bit stressed. My boss is an ******* and he always makes a giant deal out of any minor thing so me reporting the issue wouldn't be a good thing at all, especially since I'm already kinda on bad terms with him. My friend told me a similiar thing happened to him and everything was okay, he still felt the smell after a few days and then it was gone. 

The thing is, my company has about 6-7 cars the emplyees can use for bussiness trips. I returned it on a Saturday, meaning the earliest somebody could use it is Monday, ~36 hours later.

Is it enough time for the car to cool off? Or, is it possible it cools off and once someone else starts the engine it will start to smell again?

Imagine the car explodes because of you when someone driving :rip:

Spoiler

Jk I think if something happens car will give an error or light up something on the panels.

3 minutes ago, Companion said:

Imagine the car explodes because of you when someone driving :rip:

Reveal hidden contents

Jk I think if something happens car will give an error or light up something on the panels.

Sis.... :rip:

1 minute ago, EtherealCat said:

if the car cant get up a hill it was probably broken anyway

No, you missunderstood, since I didnt see it was THAT uphill, I ****** up and didnt prepare the car for that.

girl you need to report it what if the next person to drive it ends up dead :toofunny2:

I think I've seen similar stuff happens, and no big deals came out of it?

Cant u check with a mechanic or something?

yall..am I taking this too chill or have yall played GTA too much?

5 minutes ago, May said:

girl you need to report it what if the next person to drive it ends up dead :toofunny2:

I was driving the car after it and the car was okay, didnt notice anything wrong. Once I parked it in the garage, the smell inside was basically gone, I could still feel it upfront outside. I called my friend and he calmed me down saying its NOTHING. Ofc I wouldn't endanger someone else just like that. He even told me the worst thing that could happen would be someone noticing the smell if they start the car Monday early morning. So thats why I created the thread, maybe someone else had a similiar experience and they would know how much time it takes to cool off.

Edited by Hot Volcano

There's no way they can trace back to you. Is not like the car is going to implode once someone else drives it. 

You keep it cute and if someone asks tell them the car was driving like a dream

Don't stress, it's nothing. I smell that sometimes too, it has to do with tires or so. 

if you're not going to report it like a total ******* then the least you could do is take that car to get checked for any issues so the next person driving it doesn't die :rip:

Stick a note on the front of it saying "bad smell, don't drive" 

I mean you definitely need to be honest and tell them what happened. It sucks, but things like this happen and these companies know this, hence why they take your insurance and driving information before letting you drive a company car. 

They have a plan for stuff like this. Their insurance or yours or both will cover it and it’ll be fine. But being honest is necessary cuz if something happens down the line and they find out you didn’t disclose this information you could be in huge trouble.

2 hours ago, shyboi said:

There's no way they can trace back to you. Is not like the car is going to implode once someone else drives it. 

You keep it cute and if someone asks tell them the car was driving like a dream

2 hours ago, Rev8 said:

I think I've seen similar stuff happens, and no big deals came out of it?

Cant u check with a mechanic or something?

yall..am I taking this too chill or have yall played GTA too much?

1 hour ago, LadyDiana said:

Don't stress, it's nothing. I smell that sometimes too, it has to do with tires or so. 

:heart: 

This is exactly what I am thinking right now

46 minutes ago, Young Volcanoes said:

if you're not going to report it like a total ******* then the least you could do is take that car to get checked for any issues so the next person driving it doesn't die :rip:

How am I supposed to do that when I returned the car and gave the keys to the Security guard after I parked it in the garage. I was already 5 hours late, so I was in a hurry to park it and get it over with.

Why would someone die if this is a normal issue that happens often with no concequences? As I've said, I was driving it without any issues hours after it happened.

19 minutes ago, CottageHore said:

I mean you definitely need to be honest and tell them what happened. It sucks, but things like this happen and these companies know this, hence why they take your insurance and driving information before letting you drive a company car. 

They have a plan for stuff like this. Their insurance or yours or both will cover it and it’ll be fine. But being honest is necessary cuz if something happens down the line and they find out you didn’t disclose this information you could be in huge trouble.

Yes, I understand that. If this was a bigger issue, I would've definitely reported it. But as I've said, I called a friend who is into cars and he said it should be fine. Me calling my boss on a Saturday night to report it would've been a mess and I bet he would make a big deal out of it Monday morning in front of all the collegues like he aways does. 

Edited by Hot Volcano

The moment the car couldn't go up hill. Did the engine stall? Or the clutch slipped?

The clutch probably slipped (couldn't transfer power from the engine to the transmission/gearbox), got hot and made smoke.

26 minutes ago, katykater said:

The moment the car couldn't go up hill. Did the engine stall? Or the clutch slipped?

The clutch probably slipped (couldn't transfer power from the engine to the transmission/gearbox), got hot and made smoke.

Kinda both at the same time.  

Has thing ever happened to you? Now I feel better after doing some research, it seems like it could leave some damage only in a few instances.

11 hours ago, Hot Volcano said:

Kinda both at the same time.  

Has thing ever happened to you? Now I feel better after doing some research, it seems like it could leave some damage only in a few instances.

I drive stick/manual.

When I stop at a traffic light on a slope and I'm distracted or it is in the wrong gear, the engine could stall. I rev the engine a little bit to get moving easier.

I have burnt a clutch once because I revved the engine too eagerly to make sure the car is going to move and let the clutch slip too much.

The Car must need a service which means def was not your fault and is your bosses responsibly.

UPDATE - one of my collegues forgot some item in the car and the guy thats handling car maintanence brought it to him and I saw that he moved the car to another garage floor!

This means everything is alright :party:

8 hours ago, Hot Volcano said:

UPDATE - one of my collegues forgot some item in the car and the guy thats handling car maintanence brought it to him and I saw that he moved the car to another garage floor!

This means everything is alright :party:

So you saw a man driving the car properly?

Burning the clutch is accelerated wear and tear on a part that is going to wear out. Today's clutches are made to automatically compensate the wear till it is really worn down. The car will be fine till the clutch is really worn out and if the car can start moving in the third gear.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.