In your own words, how would you define a woman?

cockatoo

This is something frequently discussed in the media at the moment with right wingers using it as a gotcha moment against those with left leaning sensibilities. So ATRL I was wondering, what would you answer to this question be?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smoore95GAGA

• normaniended

• Aethereal

• zasderfght

Top Posters In This Topic

normaniended

women are women. we were born with vaginas and can reproduce. there are biological differents between a male anatomy and a female anatomy saur..

sure, transgenders exist but at the end of the day when you die in a freak accident where all that's left of you is bones and flesh, your remains will be taken to the morgue and be identified as whatever sex u were born with. simple as that. plus, if you can identify as a different gender, then why can't you identify as a different race?

ion like where this is headed but lemme stay perched for the mess

as a cis man, I wouldn't say that I'm the one to ask

BUT

stream:

This thread will expose all the ignorants in ATRL and will turn into a ban pool :clap3:

Cameltoe Chariot

"Woman" is an umbrella term for female and female-presenting individuals, which includes cis women and trans women :gaycat2:

7 minutes ago, normaniended said:

women are women. we were born with vaginas and can reproduce. there are biological differents between a male anatomy and a female anatomy saur..

sure, transgenders exist but at the end of the day when you die in a freak accident where all that's left of you is bones and flesh, your remains will be taken to the morgue and be identified as whatever sex u were born with. simple as that. plus, if you can identify as a different gender, then why can't you identify as a different race?

You're entitled to your opinion. However, I will explain why most people accept a transperson as opposed to a transracial person: 

-Race is a construct, sure, but it is a construct that was rooted/based in skin color. That's it. It was literally used by white people to find a way to segregate and enslave a population of people. Last I checked, gender identity is also a construct, but identifying as another gender was not used to segregate/enslave a group of people. If anything, trans women face even more discrimination than trans men.

-Intersex is recognized as a third sex (separate from gender, but there's a point I'm getting to). What do you tell a person who has both genitalia or body parts that are distinctly male and female. If they identify as male, is that disingenuous because they also possess female parts? 

There is no such thing as "black" features except black skin. We've stereotyped/conditioned a society to think having a big nose, big lips, curly hair, etc. is black. While black people might predominately possess these features, so do white people.

I get gender being a construct being something new and foreign for you, or something you have questions about, but what I don't understand is why you're choosing to go against people who have studied and researched the history of gender, gender performance, gender as a spectrum, and different genders spread across cultures. Do you think you know more than people that have devoted their lives to this kind of fieldwork and research? I sure as hell don't. 

Edited by zasderfght

6 minutes ago, normaniended said:

Girl are you trying to get your dupe banned :deadbanana4:

smoore95GAGA

A better question is why exactly should anyone care about how other humans define words, which are social constructs, especially when it’s clear that the reason they’re doing so is to justify things like racism, homophobia, and transphobia :cm:

Edited by smoore95GAGA

normaniended
2 minutes ago, zasderfght said:

You're entitled to your opinion. However, I will explain why most people accept a transperson as opposed to a transracial person: 

-Race is a construct, sure, but it is a construct that was rooted/based in skin color. That's it. It was literally used by white people to find a way to segregate and enslave a population of people. Last I checked, gender identity is also a construct, but identifying as another gender was not used to segregate/enslave a group of people. If anything, trans women face even more discrimination than trans men.

-Intersex is recognized as a third sex (separate from gender, but there's a point I'm getting to). What do you tell a person who has both genitalia or body parts that are distinctly male and female. If they identify as male, is that disingenuous because they possess female parts? 

There is no such thing as "black" features except black skin. We've stereotyped/conditioned a society to think having a big nose, big lips, curly hair, etc. is black. While black people might predominately possess these features, so do white people.

intersex isn't a third gender babe, that's a health condition/birth defect.

10 minutes ago, normaniended said:

So by that logic cis women with ******'s who CANNOT reproduce aren't women?

normaniended
1 minute ago, 305 said:

So by that logic cis women with ******'s who CANNOT reproduce aren't women?

how pathetic this gay little male censoring the word ****** is....ur that scared of *****? 

and mind u, not everyone can do everything. there's people who can't see or hear, does that make them not human? no. so by my logic, i'm correct.

Britney answered that difficult question 2 decades ago

3 minutes ago, normaniended said:

intersex isn't a third gender babe, that's a health condition/birth defect.

I should have corrected myself-- intersex is a third gender, not sex. But yes, intersex is a third gender. Intersex is also a health condition. Two things can be true at once.

2 minutes ago, normaniended said:

how pathetic this gay little male censoring the word ****** is....ur that scared of *****? 

and mind u, not everyone can do everything. there's people who can't see or hear, does that make them not human? no. so by my logic, i'm correct.

There's no need to call someone pathetic and "gay little male." There's a thing such as arguing civilly. 

Also, you can have a disability and not be human :rip: Think: animals. 

smoore95GAGA
7 minutes ago, normaniended said:

Girl. First of all, the site censors that word, which you clearly should understand since it censored it for you.

Second, you defined part of being a woman as being able to reproduce. If someone defined part of being human as being able to see and hear, that would be flawed in the same way your definition is flawed. The fact that you don’t understand this is extremely concerning :priceless:

And last, if having a ****** and being able to reproduce aren’t necessary for someone to be a woman, why exactly can’t a biological male be a woman?

Edited by smoore95GAGA

18 minutes ago, normaniended said:

6 minutes ago, normaniended said:

ZTP violation. Could we get a dupe check if you get the chance mods? Thanks! @Ryan

Edited by IvyTower

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.