Twitter quietly removes transgender protections from hateful conduct policy

MadonnasBoyfriend

MadonnasBoyfriend

New York
CNN
 —
Twitter appears to have quietly rolled back a portion of its hateful conduct policy that included specific protections for transgender people.

The policy previously stated that Twitter prohibits “targeting others with repeated slurs, tropes or other content that intends to degrade or reinforce negative or harmful stereotypes about a protected category. This includes targeted misgendering or deadnaming of transgender individuals.” But the second line was removed earlier this month, according to archived versions of the page from the WayBack Machine.

Twitter also removed a line from the policy detailing certain groups of people often subject to disproportionate abuse online, including “women, people of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, asexual individuals, and marginalized and historically underrepresented communities.”

The platform first introduced its policy prohibiting misgendering and deadnaming (referring to a person’s pre-transition name) of transgender people in 2018 as part of a broader overhaul of its hateful conduct policy.

The change to the hateful conduct policy is one of a number of updates Twitter has made to its safety and content moderation practices since Elon Musk took over the company last fall. Twitter has also restored the accounts of users who had previously been banned for violating its rules, stopped enforcing its Covid-19 misinformation policy, allowed users to purchase blue verification checkmarks and applied controversial new labels to the accounts of several news organizations.

LGBTQ advocacy group GLAAD called out the hateful conduct policy change in a Tuesday statement.

“Twitter’s decision to covertly roll back its longtime policy is the latest example of just how unsafe the company is for users and advertisers alike,” GLAAD President and CEO Sarah Kate Ellis said. “This decision to roll back LGBTQ safety pulls Twitter even more out of step with TikTok, Pinterest, and Meta, which all maintain similar policies to protect their transgender users at a time when anti-transgender rhetoric online is leading to real world discrimination and violence.”

Twitter did not respond to a request for comment about the change, although the platform did announce earlier this week some other updates to how it enforces its hateful conduct policy. The platform said it plans to start applying labels to some tweets that violate its hateful conduct policy and reduce their visibility, a similar practice to the one used under the company’s previous leadership, under which it either reduced the visibility of or removed violative tweets.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/19/tech/twitter-hateful-conduct-policy-transgender-protections/index.html?utm_medium=social&utm_term=link&utm_source=fbCNN&utm_content=2023-04-20T03%3A30%3A14&fbclid=IwAR2NdHR-ZXxUzKMCJPZy4R4NxuxG7NzmakaLscUSnE7pc-hl5tYZLCfmveI

Ugh. I really hate what Twitter's become. It's the only social media platform I really use. 

How to delete a Twitter account

If you're interested in setting up a Mastodon account but aren't sure how it works, reply or PM me with your questions and I'll answer them. You don't have to leave Twitter completely to look at alternatives now and prepare yourself before Twitter continues to get worse. Seeing the direction Twitter is heading, I have no confidence that Twitter will recover with Elon Musk as the owner.

2 hours ago, Axolotl said:

Disappointed but not surprised at this point

truly disheartening 

2 hours ago, Attitude said:

Ugh. I really hate what Twitter's become. It's the only social media platform I really use. 

yeah Twitter has always been messy but I preferred it over Insta because it was a great place to stay informed on what’s happening in the world. To see how much Elon has run it into the ground is insane… and for no reason. just because he can. It’s sickening. 

Elon always gave me "far-right" vibes, and this proves it once again.

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, Lover said:

musk making twitter great again.

This user has broken ATRL's Zero Tolerance Policy and been banned from the site for six months due to multiple infringements. 

3 minutes ago, bluebirdsforever said:

This user has broken ATRL's Zero Tolerance Policy and been banned from the site for six months due to multiple infringements. 

:clap3:

10 minutes ago, bluebirdsforever said:

:clap3::clap3:

12 minutes ago, bluebirdsforever said:

Thank god :clap3:

14 minutes ago, bluebirdsforever said:

Whew :clap3: 

38 minutes ago, bluebirdsforever said:

:clap3:

MadonnasBoyfriend
7 hours ago, Power love said:

Why on earth are they doing this? 

Probably Elon is simply mad about the Budweiser thing :deadbanana2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.