The end of an era: Netflix's DVD renting service is over!

Hector

This is sad mainly because not every title is available to stream, particularly the indies that typically get looked over the rest of the year. 

I had no idea this was ever a thing let alone it was still happening 

4 minutes ago, Power love said:

I had no idea this was ever a thing let alone it was still happening 

Well this makes me feel old haha

But honestly, I did this back in the day but like I didn’t know it was still happening. How would I even go about having them mail me a DVD? 

6 minutes ago, Memoirs387 said:

Well this makes me feel old haha

But honestly, I did this back in the day but like I didn’t know it was still happening. How would I even go about having them mail me a DVD? 

I would assume through the site Because no way it’s through the app

3 minutes ago, Power love said:

I would assume through the site Because no way it’s through the app

True

If Netflix was closing like Blockbuster did, I would totally rent something for a souvenir. I did that with a VHS copy of Selena at my Blockbuster before they closed lmao.  

4 minutes ago, Memoirs387 said:

True

If Netflix was closing like Blockbuster did, I would totally rent something for a souvenir. I did that with a VHS copy of Selena at my Blockbuster before they closed lmao.  

Lmfao You never returned it. I think everyone is guilty of that! 

R.I.P.

I had so much fun picking out DVDs and getting them mailed to me back in the day :rainy:

1 hour ago, Hector said:

This is sad mainly because not every title is available to stream, particularly the indies that typically get looked over the rest of the year. 

This was still a thing?

:rip:

Even when DVD’s were at their peak (2001-2009), I don’t recall this ever being a notable medium. 

Everyone would just go to any music/video store or superstore and purchase DVD’s.

Now I feel old :rip: the red dvd envelopes were iconic and led to a first Netflix hype (which of course was overshadowed by their streaming push later)

42 minutes ago, Attitude said:

Whatever happened to Redbox? 

I think it's still a thing.  I feel like the last time I visited my folks in the Atlanta area and we went to a random Walmart, I saw one of those machines.  Might've been a competitor for all I know, but I feel like it was a Redbox :michael:

47 minutes ago, Attitude said:

Whatever happened to Redbox? 

It's still a thing, there are a few in my town 

I thought this finished over a decade ago :chick2:

Someone i know was still getting these discs until the late 10s :rip: I had to tell them to get with the times lol

After my local video rental store/second home closed, I used Netflix to rent DVDs until the early 2010s. Sad to see it go. Physical media isn’t dead but it is basically a niche market at this point, and the enthusiasts and collectors keeping it alive aren’t renting, they’re buying.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.