Frank Ocean declines Coachella Livestream. Would your fave?

Prism

Ethel Cain would not, and she actually didn't.

Stream 'American Teenager'

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• James_Dean

• rac7d

• Exodus

• Kevin Parker

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Lorde performed on the main stage at Coachella in 2017 which was livestreamed and I'm sure her Glastonbury performances in 2017 and 2022 were on the BBC streaming. So yes, I'm sure she would agree to the livestream.

From what I heard Coachella didn't sell out this year, is that true?

Perhaps the Coachella festival organisers aren't going to be too bothered if Frank gives some people an extra incentive to turn up for weekend two and for next year.

His set was a disaster.

Last year during the first weekend, The Weeknd also went over curfew on Sunday but was like "**** it" and put on a great show to end the weekend and it was an epic time for all of us to end the festival. Frank probably wanted to leave anyway.

His set was a disaster and he actually got booed near the end of the show. He didn’t even bother to put any effort into it, a large portion of his songs came straight from a recording and he didn’t even hold a microphone during it. I hope he’s doing fine…

Edited by timothy_b

why even say yes when you know you're not going to put effort into it? such a shame for everyone who paid money to see this mess

9 hours ago, 99sandthe2000s said:

the fan footage will hit the TL soon enough but honestly Coachella should make it mandatory. I don't see why many artists would opt out of it, it often pulls in new listeners and an increase in streaming/sales to your overall discography.

Well for artists like Frank, numbers are irrelevant to them. 

5 hours ago, Katamari said:

Kevin Parker is a man, woman

I meant Bjork lol

She served though

He’s good but overrated….he still needs to deliver more material before he becomes a true legend icon

Why is he even the main headliner? His music is literally not festival type….it’s very slow :toofunny2:

Edited by chris1991

seems like a weirdly pretentious move. like, you're not all that relevant anyways?

9 hours ago, elevate said:

I find this mystery / intrigue stuff to be a very explicit marketing tactic and overall tacky. 

He has talent and should rely on that. His artistry will not be rewarded by events like this because others will just replace him, and maybe they should. 

yeah I genuinely like his music but it's getting a bit tired and old atp.

3 hours ago, Cbreezy said:

People are taking this too deep. It's smart on his part.

Like others have said, he's not the best performer and he's obviously aware of that. It's actually been a reason IMO why he's pivoted towards mystery post-coming out rather than run at the spotlight. They definitely tried to go big with him with Channel Orange and it was clear he couldn't adequately meet the moment as a live performing artist at that time. 

So, his approach thereafter has been "less is more" and more intrigue, let the music do the talking (and performing lol). 

A bit pretentious, but much better than having a bunch of mid-bad performances for people to dissect and drag him for. 

It definitely makes me long for the days where all the popular artists people gagged over could hold their own live (rather than all this coddling and "'doesn't matter if they can't perform live" excuses the stans of today make. See: Rihanna Superbowl). But it is what it is.

It was the right move, all things considered. 

yeah but "less is more" only work for super huge artist. Frank is big but imo not big enough to pull of the enigma-mystery act. hence why people are complaining of how awful his set was. you have to work your way up to that, Beyonce didn't go that route until she had been in the biz like 15 years... Frank isn't at that point yet.

I don’t get the hype the last song I remember from him was over a decade ago 

1 hour ago, chris1991 said:

He’s good but overrated….he still needs to deliver more material before he becomes a true legend icon

Why is he even the main headliner? His music is literally not festival type….it’s very slow :toofunny2:

He gets hyped up as the anti Chris brown which gets him more engagement then actualy deserved. 

3 minutes ago, rac7d said:

Yeah now and for the wrong reasons

He was Trending from the VERY jump, he was dominating half of the Trending Topics last night. EDIT: Yes, his set last night wasn't perfect at all and it's some major things he needs to work BUT his vocals have seemed to improved, which is good. :coffee2:

Edited by Stepfon

I’m not going to ride his balls because I haven’t really checked for him since 2017, but it’s kind of crazy to me that these people who don’t listen to anything but mega mainstream are still ravenous for him when there are plenty of alternative artists that make the music he does.

I feel like the people who really connected with what he was doing in the early 2010’s have largely moved on and it’s just locals kind of left waiting for him. 

4 hours ago, Cbreezy said:

People are taking this too deep. It's smart on his part.

Like others have said, he's not the best performer and he's obviously aware of that. It's actually been a reason IMO why he's pivoted towards mystery post-coming out rather than run at the spotlight. They definitely tried to go big with him with Channel Orange and it was clear he couldn't adequately meet the moment as a live performing artist at that time. 

So, his approach thereafter has been "less is more" and more intrigue, let the music do the talking (and performing lol). 

A bit pretentious, but much better than having a bunch of mid-bad performances for people to dissect and drag him for. 

It definitely makes me long for the days where all the popular artists people gagged over could hold their own live (rather than all this coddling and "'doesn't matter if they can't perform live" excuses the stans of today make. See: Rihanna Superbowl). But it is what it is.

It was the right move, all things considered. 

Finally a good take on this thread :clap3:

Frank hates fame and being in the spotlight, period. He wants to keep things simple. Y'all might love it or hate it, but it is what it is. Stop thinking everyone should promote the f*ck out of their music, not everyone has to do everything the same way. 

And btw, he said during the set that he's not doing this for promo. He's doing it as a tribute to his brother.

Edited by getBusy

10 hours ago, bad guy said:

Most braindead take ever :rip:

OT: Kanye pulled out last minute (back when I was a fan) so at least Frank showed up.

10 hours ago, Chemist said:

These are not the billboard music awards :dies:

He is one of the most acclaimed artists of the 21st century. It made A LOT of sense

Honestly. I love that all I had to do was go to bed and this situation took care of itself it seems. The acclaim is rolling in. 😂

Edited by Exodus

Love the way hes openly pretentious and doesn't pretend to be humble like most of your faves :clap3:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.