Has South Korea replaced Japan as Asia's it girl?

Before Today

10 minutes ago, Si Hoo said:

It's just not true. GP cares music/drama way more than anime/mange

Anime: $30 billion, $50 billion by 2030.

K-pop: $10 billion

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Windy Day

• Before Today

• Starshine

• HANZ94

Ish but Japan kinda reigns supreme for animation, tourism and video games. Korea has definitely taken their spot for dramas, film, beauty and music. Their electronic market is huge too. I think Japanese food is still more popular although Korean foods popularity is growing. 

Edited by Robert

20 minutes ago, Si Hoo said:

There’s absolutely no way that the average westerner can name more k-dramas than anime :deadbanana4:

Japan remains THE MAG (Main Asia Girl)

didn't Samsung report 96% down in profits last fiscal year? it's giving Katy Perry career trajectory. :cm:

anyway, there's room for both of them. and besides they should team up take down the real threat a.k.a CHINA :clap3:

Edited by popmusicisdead

39 minutes ago, Si Hoo said:

uhmmm no :rip:

Objectively, no. Japan remains the larger music market and anime is insanely lucrative. 

No. 

Kpop is not popular among straight guys :toofunny3:

50 minutes ago, Si Hoo said:

Anime is bigger than kpop will probably ever be. Everyone knows dbz and sailor moon and they make more money. And then there’s PlayStation and Nintendo on top of that. Korean media is not that girl like THAT even though it’s definitely gotten more popular 

Basically

South Korea - current It girl

Japan - forever THAT girl 

South Korea is NOWHERE NEAR Japan in terms of global pop culture impact. It never has been and never will be. In terms of msuic, which is all a lot of this site cares about, yes k-pop is more widely consumed globally than Japanese music. But even then, 95% of people outside of Asia couldn't name a single song by any kpop group. Anime, Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, Sony, Nintendo etc are all so much more ubiquitous than Korean products will ever be, in the West, East, South, North, on Mars, anywhere :michael: That's probably never gonna change, no matter how much autotuned, outdated, garbage music kpop groups try to shove down our throats :fan:

Just in global export of kpop vs JPop. The japanese music market is still way bigger overall. Also not in overall media or companies. 

are we not going to mention how impressive it is for a country like south korea to be even be compared with japan considering the later completely burned korea to the ground not even a century ago, enslaved and killed millions of koreans and tried to completely wipe out korean culture?? for it to become that influent in the present days despite japan's multiple attempts at erasing it is a win itself :clap3:

i'm sure the posts would be different if it the countries were replaced with a western country and its former colony but since it japan it gets a pass :ducky:

1 hour ago, Donquizote said:

No. 

Kpop is not popular among straight guys :toofunny3:

I'm not sure if Kpop is popular among gay guys either:redface:

Never seen a gay guy drool over a male Kpop Idol irl, or even online for that matter..

Their core fanbase is usually preteen girls and (single) middle-aged women.

Edited by skyandground

there’s literally kimchi sushi so that’s your answer 

I would give it to Japan just because I have been recently going down a City-Pop rabbit hole tbh but Korea is building up a great recognition thanks to Squid Games and Pop Music tbh. 

I don't know... japane culture is famous for being....japanese?. Even anime even if they are always very edited in the international versions (for making them more understandble for different cultures) really show cultural and religious eastern values and thoughts. So all the japanese culture seems way more famous. 

K pop is... very international?. I mean for what i saw and hears this industry creates products made to be global, so "very generic" and with a western appeal.

Even for the movies...while Ghibli movies are full of japanes culture and way of thinking a movie like parasite is so popular upon american audience cause honestly it just seems an american movie made by martin scorsese or david fincher..really nothing very specifical about a culture and a country in that movie. It could be with a rich american family, in a big los angeles house and you don't need to change a scene, a plot line or a dialogue to make it more understanble for an american audience (like for oldboy, infernal affairs and so many other eastern movies that were remaked).

Edited by vale9001

1 hour ago, skyandground said:

I'm not sure if Kpop is popular among gay guys either:redface:

Never seen a gay guy drool over a male Kpop Idol irl, or even online for that matter..

Their core fanbase is usually preteen girls and (single) middle-aged women.

you realize there’s girl groups too right? :rip: 3 of them are charting in the top 50 of spotify right now including one at #6 and another one who’s been in the top 50 for months :rip:

if anything this post is showing your advanced age for being so out of touch :ducky:

K-pop is a bubble the average person cannot name a single Kpop song meanwhile everyone in the world can name a Mario game they’ve played, an anime or movie etc 

3 hours ago, Si Hoo said:

Screenshot-1.jpg

it kind of feels that way but only because so many japanese things are mainstream at this point 

47 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

I don't know... japane culture is famous for being....japanese?. Even anime even if they are always very edited in the international versions (for making them more understandble for different cultures) really show cultural and religious eastern values and thoughts. So all the japanese culture seems way more famous. 

K pop is... very international?. I mean for what i saw and hears this industry creates products made to be global, so "very generic" and with a western appeal.

Even for the movies...while Ghibli movies are full of japanes culture and way of thinking a movie like parasite is so popular upon american audience cause honestly it just seems an american movie made by martin scorsese or david fincher..really nothing very specifical about a culture and a country in that movie. It could be with a rich american family, in a big los angeles house and you don't need to change a scene, a plot line or a dialogue to make it more understanble for an american audience (like for oldboy, infernal affairs and so many other eastern movies that were remaked).

:rip:

Not really Japan will always be that b*tch, that’s why recording artists always have a Japanese bonus track on their albums.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.