Barbie vs Oppenheimer. Who will top the box office ?

June

Oppenheimer sounds so boring. I just know Barbie will DEVOUR!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• June

• fridayteenage

• Baby Judas

• JustHoran

I never discount Nolan and his power to draw audiences with just about anything, but Barbie's got this in the bag. 

Rooting for Barbie but we know the str8 bros gonna win 

I don't know what Oppenhaimer but Barbie probably has more appeal so I see that one winning.

43 minutes ago, Sept said:

Rooting for Barbie but we know the str8 bros gonna win 

Not another Gaga vs Venom :rip: oh no

Barbie seems like a panned flop. 

Barbie :heart2:

Dua needs to release the song + music video for Barbie soundtrack and make this a smash hit

I just read about Oppenheimer and omg that sounds like the most boring 3 hours of my life :ahh:

Barbie would have to REALLY drop the ball to not win this :rip: Oppenheimer is not a fit at all with summer, it does not seem to be very commercial, and Nolan's brand was kinda hurt already by Tenet.

probably oppenheimer because it's a Nolan film but i hope Barbie eats them. Nolan needs to be humbled.

1 hour ago, siratakexxx said:

Is there any 3rd choice?

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning (2nd weekend:sistrens:.

Last Nolan movie: $20M opening weekend

Last Margot movie: $3.5M (:toofunny3:) opening weekend.

Edited by Broken

1 minute ago, Broken said:

Mr Cruise winning again i fear

19 hours ago, Broken said:

Oh forgot about MI second week, that's gonna be a strong competition if the reviews are good

Oppenheimer seems like a 

slog of a movie, where as Barbie at least looks entertaining.

In Greta Gerwig we trust. 

• 1 month later...

why are we even comparing and pitting these 2 against each other? make it make sense

Anything over $40m would be a major breakout for Barbie but I think it’s likely to wind up in the high $20m - $30m range similar to The Lost City if it lives up to its viral marketing push. It’s still such a niche sell; live-action comedies aren’t doing gangbusters and I would still not be surprised if it underperforms.

Oppenheimer should be okay opening in the high $40m range especially with it dominating PLF screens. Interstellar was not far off 3 hours and opened to $47m back in 2014; WWII thriller Dunkirk managed $50m in 2017. Trying to use Tenet as a comp is beyond ridiculous and there’s probably more pent up demand to experience a Nolan film again in cinemas in part thanks to that pandemic release. Anything over $50m would be very strong. R rating might prevent that but feels negligible considering how the demos are going to skew older anyway.

MI7 is the wildcard, depends how high it climbs and how much it burns its demand with a five day opening but it could definitely challenge for a #1 holdover probably somewhere in the $40m range too. Losing PLF screens to Oppenheimer will probably kneecap that potential though which is why Tom is so mad :rip:

I’m excited for both but now knowing that Oppenheimer is 3 hours long and rated R, I do think Barbie will make more money 

3 hours ago, Jessie said:

Anything over $40m would be a major breakout for Barbie but I think it’s likely to wind up in the high $20m - $30m range similar to The Lost City if it lives up to its viral marketing push. It’s still such a niche sell; live-action comedies aren’t doing gangbusters and I would still not be surprised if it underperforms.

Uh... :rip: you can drag me if it ends up flopping but the buzz on Barbie is huuuuge. There is no way this is gonna open that low. It's gonna open really big imo. 

• ATRL Moderator

Oppenheimer just got an R rating though didn't it? I feel like that might have some impact. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.