NPR quits Twitter

Gwendolyn

I worry the BBC is next and many more organisations, all that will be left is fake news twitter accounts  :gaycat7:

While I don't think many others will be following suit, this is very troubling. He's beyond dumb.

I remember when all of the Right was leaving Twitter because their hateful views were not allowed and that Trump was banned

imagine if We started to leave now :deadbanana: seems like it

Good riddance to bad trash :michael:

All companies should start this.

Let's END twitter for good! :jonnycat::jonnycat:

They’re my favorite news outlet for a reason :clap3:

Funny that what prompted this decision was them being labeled "state-affiliated media", which is 100% true regardless of how independent they think they are. I'm sure they championed such labels when it was slapped on the likes of RT.

As they should. In no way should NPR be bracketed in with fake news, propaganda factories like RT

The class act news organization. The naysayers will say “they are state-affiliated!” and post no evidence thereof. Despicable! 

1 hour ago, moo said:

Funny that what prompted this decision was them being labeled "state-affiliated media", which is 100% true regardless of how independent they think they are. I'm sure they championed such labels when it was slapped on the likes of RT.

NPR and RT are not comparable at all

NPR is just one of many organizations leaving or cutting their use of Twitter. If Twitter continues to be mismanaged like this, the only accounts left on Twitter will be right-wing extremists, outrage artists, bots, and MLM/crypto scammers.

59 minutes ago, Miichael said:

They're both state-affiliated media, like officially so. So is the BBC, when does that get the label?

34 minutes ago, moo said:

They're both state-affiliated media, like officially so. So is the BBC, when does that get the label?

The funding figures are not even close.

RT is 99.5% to 99.9% funded by the Russian government.

RT’s parent company, TV-Novosti, is registered as a state-owned Autonomous Non-commercial Organization (ANO) with the Russian Ministry of Justice. According to TV-Novosti’s official filings with the Ministry, it is almost entirely funded by the state budget, with the exact figure ranging annually between 99.5% and 99.9%.

NPR's funding from the U.S. government is much, much lower.

NPR's two largest revenue sources are corporate sponsorships and fees paid by NPR Member organizations to support a suite of programs, tools, and services. Other sources of revenue include institutional grants, individual contributions and fees paid by users of the Public Radio Satellite System (PRSS; i.e. Satellite interconnection and distribution).

On average, less than 1% of NPR's annual operating budget comes in the form of grants from CPB and federal agencies and departments.

Edited by Stimulus

46 minutes ago, Stimulus said:

But the NPR Member organizations that pay them dues do receive significant state and federal funding. From the same NPR link:

Federal funding is essential to public radio's service to the American public and its continuation is critical for both stations and program producers, including NPR.

Public radio stations receive annual grants directly from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) that make up an important part of a diverse revenue mix that includes listener support, corporate sponsorship and grants. Stations, in turn, draw on this mix of public and privately sourced revenue to pay NPR and other public radio producers for their programming.

These station programming fees comprise a significant portion of NPR's largest source of revenue. The loss of federal funding would undermine the stations' ability to pay NPR for programming, thereby weakening the institution.

Cute accounting trick I'll grant, but they do spell it out well below the fold.

As long as they require significant state and federal funding to function, they can't be considered independent from state influence, thus the affiliation tag.

Not that it all matters much, as the U.S. government has plenty of alternate means to influence and control nominally fully independent media outlets. Which is why these stupid labels that no one cares about should just be removed all together.

• ATRL Moderator

I think more media outlets should join them. :clap3: 

5 hours ago, Miichael said:

Both do the bidding of the oligarchy ran government whose country they operate out of. Fascism is the end state of capitalism. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.