How would you go about tackling the obesity crisis?

cockatoo

I would make society less car-centric.  We should design our environments to encourage convenient activity.  

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thetea

• cockatoo

• duybeeGAshantiGA

• zasderfght

Blast Mariah Carey songs in public

1 hour ago, ScorpiosGroove said:

and make the rest of us pay just because some fat people can’t stop stuffing their faces like a laundry basket ? yeah no

This. Why should I be punished cause some people eat 3 packets of Oreo per day?

Send them to The Biggest Loser / My 600 Pound Life.

29 minutes ago, Aristide said:

Do what they do in Japan: government raises your taxes if the measurement of your waistline is above a certain limit.

that’s lowkey hilarious

2 minutes ago, PopKills said:

Literally, there should be graphics of fat people who can barely walk or rot in hospitals on the package of fast food meals, with texts like "obese people have a shorter life spans". 

They actually tried something in a similar vein to this in the UK and there was huge backlash

Obesity 'causes more cases of some cancers than smoking' - BBC News

Obesity Campaign A4 Poster | Publications

Sky News: Cancer Research advert criticised for 'comparing smoking to obesity'

7 minutes ago, PopKills said:

Literally, there should be graphics of fat people who can barely walk or rot in hospitals on the package of fast food meals, with texts like "obese people have a shorter life spans". 

People say it will be the same as cirgarettes but Idts.. I think if we actually do what you say people will def eat less of them. I am surprised my cousins dont know that McDonalds and KFC arent good for them until I told them... :skull:

Make healthy food/ingredients more affordable than fatty food/ingredients. 

3 minutes ago, cockatoo said:

They actually tried something in a similar vein to this in the UK and there was huge backlash

Obesity 'causes more cases of some cancers than smoking' - BBC News

Obesity Campaign A4 Poster | Publications

Sky News: Cancer Research advert criticised for 'comparing smoking to obesity'

Hmmm they kinda messed up bc it directly compares eating unhealthy with smoking which is BS bc that's mostly a different kind of body damage. If those warnings and maybe even warning graphics would actually be put on the packaging of unhealthy food it would be much more effective because people will think twice if they wanna risk ending up like that. But I fear the fastfood industry would not let this happen at all bc of profit. 

10 minutes ago, Insanity said:

Thats not feasible if it would be a 2 hr walk to work (for me) especially depending where you live. 

Edit actually 4 hrs lol

Screenshot-20230408-103245-Maps.jpg

I agree that walking to work isn’t doable for most but why not start your morning with a half hour stroll & end the day with another? It’s not about getting from point A to point B, it’s just gentle exercise that isn’t hard on your body. If I have the day off, I still try to walk over 10k steps/day, it’s great for mental health & staying in shape & I find jogging, ellipticals, etc too strenuous on my joints. I live downtown in a city & I know too many people who take Ubers everywhere & get **** delivered to their house that’s easily within walking distance & complain about never having money & wanting to lose weight. We’ve all become conditioned to expect convenience at all times, no version of a healthy life is compatible with total laziness

8 minutes ago, duybeeGAshantiGA said:

People say it will be the same as cirgarettes but Idts.. I think if we actually do what you say people will def eat less of them. I am surprised my cousins dont know that McDonalds and KFC arent good for them until I told them... :skull:

I mean didn't it kind of work with cigarettes? I just know whenever I used to have the urge to buy a pack the horrifying pictures scared me off. :rip:

Edited by PopKills

the food market needs to be regulated more and healthy foods need to be more accessible both physically and economically. 

i also think that the education system when it comes to health, nutrition, and exercise needs massive reforms. i used to hate sports and any kinds of physical activity at school because as a queer person it just felt like a very masculine and heteronormative space where i didn't belong. 4 years later i ran my first marathon and i'm considering the gym now, and in general i'm much more open to sports and exercise than i ever was at school.

3 minutes ago, John Slayne said:

the food market needs to be regulated more and healthy foods need to be more accessible both physically and economically. 

i also think that the education system when it comes to health, nutrition, and exercise needs massive reforms. i used to hate sports and any kinds of physical activity at school because as a queer person it just felt like a very masculine and heteronormative space where i didn't belong. 4 years later i ran my first marathon and i'm considering the gym now, and in general i'm much more open to sports and exercise than i ever was at school.

The accuracy:deadbanana4: I didn’t start going to the gym until after I graduated high school and found a gym I feel comfortable in. 

the US needs stricter FDA regulations for sure, some of the stuff they put in the food here isn’t right

also people need to start walking more but that largely has to do with infrastructure and city planning and the fact that cities in the US are built for cars

1 hour ago, ScorpiosGroove said:

quote them instead of me then 
duh-yeah.gif

you are one of them, don't even lie. 

56 minutes ago, Lipgloss said:

Don't let them reproduce. Fat people make fat children. 

horrible, horrible opinion. 

1 hour ago, Navy4Life said:

I love how the whole body positivity is always forgotten about when they try to drag someone who actually puts effort. 

Like how you gonna praise someone obese and then drag someone fit? :deadbanana:

this is a non issue in real life. who seriously drags people for going to the gym. fat people are constantly shamed and made to feel horrible about themselves. I don't think body positivity is about promoting obesity, it's about not pointing it out and shaming people for it. seriously why do people give a f*ck how much others weigh. it's literally none of your business, nor does it affect you personally in any way.i find it odd that some of the people in this thread aren't getting WP's 

Edited by thetea

People need to be more educated about nutrition and trash food needs to be restricted. 

Working out helps, but no one can out run a bad diet, which is the main problem for the majority of people.

Banning processed foods, obviously and making healthcare affordable and highly accessible, and creating more walkable neighborhoods

Edited by CottageHore

ban fast food chains simple as that. they prey on poor families and get them addicted to their cheap heartattack inducing foods

Some of you creeps are awful and miserable fatphobes, and typing out these mean ass salty **** about obese people isn't going to make the vain airheads that ghost y'all on dating apps message back :heart:

Anyway, there is a lot can be done to tackle obesity. 

-Legislation that seeks to greatly increase access of fresh produce, especially to already marginalized communities

-Legislative action against the omnipresence of fast food outlets OR seeking to diversify (& fairly price) healthier options on these menus

-Incorporate more exhaustive physical education curriculum in schools

-Incorporate basics of healthy cooking in school

-Build and invest in larger, more affordable gyms 

-Establish both ready-to-cook and ready-to-eat healthy services that are AFFORDABLE for students (unlike Hello Fresh) 

-Eliminate a lot of the junk you get in school cafeterias for healthier options 

-Aggressive anti-sugar advertising 

And so on. 

39 minutes ago, thetea said:

you are one of them, don't even lie. 

horrible, horrible opinion. 

this is a non issue in real life. who seriously drags people for going to the gym. fat people are constantly shamed and made to feel horrible about themselves. I don't think body positivity is about promoting obesity, it's about not pointing it out and shaming people for it. seriously why do people give a f*ck how much others weigh. it's literally none of your business, nor does it affect you personally in any way.i find it odd that some of the people in this thread aren't getting WP's 

To your last point, I’m not sure how much time you’ve spent in “body positive” or “fat positive” online spaces, but healthy-shaming or gym-shaming people is a major issue in those communities. Did you pay attention when Adele lost weight, or when Lizzo would post healthy vegan recipes with vegetables on TikTok? So-called “fat activists” dragged them through the DIRT, so much that both artists had to defend themselves for losing weight and eating healthy food. maybe it “doesn’t happen in real life” but let’s not act like online conversations don’t drive real-life perceptions, they absolutely do. 

I agree with the heart of what you’re saying, which is, we need to stop shaming people for being overweight or unhealthy because 1) it’s not our business and 2) shame does not drive positive change as many studies have shown. But that doesn’t mean we need to minimize the very real vitriol and hate against skinny and healthy people that so called “body positive” communities have normalized. 

54 minutes ago, thetea said:

this is a non issue in real life.

Oh please :toofunny2: I was shamed my whole life for being skinny and then for working out (and consequently getting bigger) and eating a vegetarian diet. All that from people who are clearly not taking any consideration about what goes into their bodies or how active they are. 

4 hours ago, apasionata said:

Screen-Shot-2022-10-11-at-1_25_13-PM.jpg

Ozempic is like a miracle for me 

Doesn’t that make you really nauseous though? 

Just now, ABeyBraith said:

Doesn’t that make you really nauseous though? 

Goes away after a while :flower: I'd warmly recommend it.

I've struggled with my weight whole life and subsequently developed body dysmorphia cause of it. I can't see on eye anyone who preaches 'body positivity' cause it's in human nature to make selection and preference based on looks. It's on me to adapt and overcome. Being gay makes the whole point I've just brought up even more mandatory. 

Just now, apasionata said:

Goes away after a while :flower: I'd warmly recommend it.

I've struggled with my weight whole life and subsequently developed body dysmorphia cause of it. I can't see on eye anyone who preaches 'body positivity' cause it's in human nature to make selection and preference based on looks. It's on me to adapt and overcome. Being gay makes the whole point I've just brought up even more mandatory. 

I don’t need it but my mum takes it and she’s always throwing up :deadbanana4:

1 minute ago, ABeyBraith said:

she’s always throwing up

I'd beg to question for how long has she been taking it and why didn't she hit her GP/consultant for an alternative?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.