Why is spray tanning considered blackfishing?

Lipgloss

Superstars like Jesy Nelson and Ariana have been accused of blackfishing because of their spray tans. Most people can get pretty dark naturally just being out in the sun. I'd understand the accusations if they went a color they couldn't achieve naturally, but rarely is that the case. 

I think the moment Jessy developed an upper lip she genuinely started believing she's black. It's definitely not just the tan

It’s not just the tan. Also, you can spray tan without going that dark. 

No one believes people who spray tan look black, but a lot of them look ethnically ambiguous and could pass for mixed. When they start braiding their hair and using aave it's just weird.

I'm never going scream from the rooftops to lock someone up who behaves that way but they get a little side eye from me.

Some White Influencers Are Being Accused of "Blackfishing," or Using Makeup  to Appear Black | Teen Vogue

Edited by cockatoo

Like how can anyone watch this with a straight face, what was going through her head? :rip:

It's never usually the spray tanning in isolation, it's in conjunction with other things e.g. Ariana's past tragic attempts at co-opting AAVE. No one is accusing Gemma Collins of blackfishing for example.

This is such an American mindset. 

Come to the UK/Ireland & everyone spray tans

56 minutes ago, Lipgloss said:

Superstars like Jesy Nelson and Ariana

grouping them together as superstars is craaaazy :bibliahh:

but it’s never only the spray tan, that’s nonsensical, it’s usually them changing features of themselves and the way that speak on top of that that makes people call bs

It is not. There are other things including spray tanning, if it's just the spray tanning there's no problem, but when the artist starts spray tanning and suddenly changes their hair, and then changes the way they physically look through a new clothing style or even surgeries, and then start hanging out with certain social circles where they weren't seen before, and it happens just when their music started to get targeted to those same demographics... it's right there when things start looking suspicious

Nobody thinks spray tanning is black fishing. It’s black fishing when they go that extra step after a tan and adopt black hairstyles, appropriate AAVE, etc.

Don't gaslight.

There's a difference between tanning and wanting to look like a completely different race.

I think also a lot of people are offended that white people are still accepted when they fake a skin colour that people are disliked for naturally having 

For example a lot of people in society say “I only date white girls” and those people would date/accept Ariana Grande with her fake tan, but they would say it’s just a preference that they wouldn’t want to date someone who naturally is that colour 

Edited by Saintlor

3 hours ago, Lipgloss said:

Superstars like Jesy Nelson and Ariana have been accused of blackfishing because of their spray tans. Most people can get pretty dark naturally just being out in the sun. I'd understand the accusations if they went a color they couldn't achieve naturally, but rarely is that the case. 

and rightfully so. you answered your own questions. these girls went for a tone that is not naturally achieved by just being out and on top of that they aesthetic that they adopted while going darker with their look, sound and act came off as black cosplay. it was disturbing

2 hours ago, cockatoo said:

No one believes people who spray tan look black, but a lot of them look ethnically ambiguous and could pass for mixed. When they start braiding their hair and using aave it's just weird.

I'm never going scream from the rooftops to lock someone up who behaves that way but they get a little side eye from me.

Some White Influencers Are Being Accused of "Blackfishing," or Using Makeup  to Appear Black | Teen Vogue

this is scary and exactly what some of these girls were doing

2 hours ago, BTS said:

This is such an American mindset. 

Come to the UK/Ireland & everyone spray tans

but they don't then act different and adapt a whole persona revolving around black culture do they? cause if they do that qualifies for blackfishing. that's why jesy who is from the uk got rightfully dragged for it

37 minutes ago, Saintlor said:

I think also a lot of people are offended that white people are still accepted when they fake a skin colour that people are disliked for naturally having 

For example a lot of people in society say “I only date white girls” and those people would date/accept Ariana Grande with her fake tan, but they would say it’s just a preference that they wouldn’t want to date someone who naturally is that colour 

this too it's just offensive and part of a larger conversation

It's not, no one cares about spray tanning.

The internet is not a real place, despite what a segment of chronically online morons think.

Ariana actually is a poor example of blackfishing anyway, the jesy woman idek.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.