SNL monologue calling out lack of black people in Friends goes viral

naval23

30 minutes ago, san784 said:

It wasn’t so much that the main cast didn’t have black people but the argument has always been that they were not even black background characters and the show was base in New York where they are plenty black people. I don’t know anything about abbott elementary but maybe they have diverse guests and background characters 

Thats the best thing. I love a diverse cast. Is a reflection of the United states and the Planet :gaycat4::heart: Props to her for visibility. 

As a latino when i was younger i was always baffled at the lack of black-latino-east asians-middle easterns-indians in main roles specially in Scifi and fantasy movies. Such a rarity to see a prominent non-white actor. 

It was like...........White people-blondies blue eyes are better. Only they can be these tv-film megastars and main acts. I should look more white to be powerful-hotter like those amazing stars
-nKS5ZWa3lfl.jpg

9ettfYcsM.png?output-format=jpg&output-quality=autolook-alike-actresses2-700x474.jpg

I think in some kind of way it helped to create a feeling of self-hate here in latinoamerica. A feeling of Inferiority. Still permeating today
Hollywood has been a vessel for White Supremacy all over the planet.
Nothing against the beautiful white community (love white culture) but this is tea :gaycat3:

Now things are more diverse and we all can relate to different characters :jonny6:
Things have improved so much with the years. 

There are stars for all the ethnicities. White,Black,Latino,East-SouthEast Asian,Indian......
We have a chance in hollywood too. Is not as impossible as before.

resized_272427-black-panther-bose-0216_57-24238_t800.jpg?90232451fbcadccc64a17de7521d859a8f88077d2ed8ad7a018c45a9882ce8bd87ca0eff

0d267ce4-ea5e-416d-bb7b-df2b34eaa4fa_28d3a5e4.jpg?itok=7wBWKveO&v=1634638755d050ca8d-ba7e-4757-b00d-93fd757bedbf-rsz_john-wick-chapter-4-crvgo_unit_210724_00834_r_rgb.jpg

lat51.jpgomg-shakira-estuvo-en-un-episodio-de-los-hechicer-2-27434-1522796040-11_dblbig.jpg?resize=1200:*

QY2tmzFrVG9zuZD9bITpq2JCxWU_Pz_wz5pS6ulJYAg.jpg?auto=webp&s=0f3a4ecd4cbd17ae267fa303b27c38bfd60e235d

Edited by AvadaKedavra

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MadonnasBoyfriend

• san784

• Hot Volcano

• GraceRandolph

51 minutes ago, LoveInStereo said:

Why not single out the cast of a show that’s still in production that lacks diversity? It’s true but what exactly are they able to do about it now?

She's hardly going to call out any network executives who are working today :cm:

MadonnasBoyfriend
8 minutes ago, Sazare said:

This, awful show tbh 

I think the show is fine but the media brings it up like ever single day for whatever reason... Like can everyone move on and discuss current shows. Like even here it's brought up cause an old show has old points of view of it you don't say 🤯

Edited by MadonnasBoyfriend

8 minutes ago, Sazare said:

This, awful show tbh 

Honestly yes and severely overrated. My racist co worker likes this show and praises the fact it’s relatable and there’s no black people so that tells you about the others who stan this show

MadonnasBoyfriend
6 minutes ago, fememeist said:

Honestly yes and severely overrated. My racist co worker likes this show and praises the fact it’s relatable and there’s no black people so that tells you about the others who stan this show

If you are dealing with racism at work you need to report it to your hr department and easily get them fired.

True but it's kind of like well what are they supposed to do about it now? Let's hope we continue to get great shows that correct this problem from the 90s.

Can she just focus on her generic, unfunny mocumentary show and not say vacuous **** like this

I love Friends but wow at some of y’all getting so riled up by this SNL joke(that isn’t really wrong tbh!) :deadbanana2:

1 hour ago, helikesitheymikey said:

How many times do we have to hear this? Yes, anyone who cares knows about this topic. Friends is one of the greatest sitcoms of all time. There is nothing anyone can say to change that. Trying to drag it down, 20 years later isn’t going to do anything.

Nothing but facts. :clap3:

well, this could be said about so many shows from that era... I'm a huge SATC fan but the cast is essentially all white besides one or two short-lived returning characters. Even great, highly acclaimed classics like the Sopranos have pretty much all white casts

Friends sucked for a number of reasons but the lack of diversity in casting back then was clearly larger than any one show

18 minutes ago, Obsession said:

True but it's kind of like well what are they supposed to do about it now? Let's hope we continue to get great shows that correct this problem from the 90s.

Tea. Its such a waste of time :bunny:
The past is past and we can do anything about it.  :gaycat3:

It was a different time. With time we learn from our mistakes. We have learned how important is Visibility today
Diversity is the spice of life. Colors,Plants,Foods,Pop Singers,Sexualities,Life Paths.....
A lot of those shows were made by racists directors-producers but the shows didnt have any bad intentions cause they were just for entertaiment, so we can enjoy them

Also sometimes black-white-latino-asians can have shows there and there exclusive to their culture.
Not everything has to be fully diverse like 100% of the time. Is also good to have our own spaces.  

beauty-and-the-baker.jpg

best-black-sitcoms-of-all-time?fimg-ssr-default

crazy-Rich-Asians-1.jpg?tr=w-1200,h-900

Just my thoughs-personal opinions :gaycat4: open to change them.

802a160f6ac8256d0f08c27795aa8bab.jpg

Edited by AvadaKedavra

44 minutes ago, Tusk said:

Do Seinfeld next, Queen.

Seinfeld actually has diverse characters on it tho either as background or guest :redface:

Why do Friends fans get so worked up over people’s (valid) criticisms of that dated sitcom. :deadbanana2:

Comedy is a mess these days because everyone's so sensitive and can't laugh at a simple joke. She made a joke that was rooted in truth just laugh or move tf on if you didnt find it funny. This obsession with needing to be offended by something is a nightmare :psyduck:

• ATRL Moderator
48 minutes ago, Hot Volcano said:

This is such a tired narrative :zzz:

I'm from Eastern Europe, I grew up on Family Matters and Fresh Prince reruns, those were as popular as Friends. So there was africanamerican representation during that time. And keep in mind that during the 90s, like 7% of the US population was black, its quite normal for some shows to have just white characters when the population is overwhelmingly white :rip:

The show was based New York which was just 40% white and nearly 30% black in the 90s… they weren’t in the middle of Iowa :rip:

Friends was a horrible show, and she is right.  She also said it in a joke, so anyone getting butthurt over it needs to go outside and reassess your priorities.

Guardian and commander of the comedic arts/barely talented actress will probably soon be writing an op-ed about how picking on Friends is part of what is killing comedy.

Friends remains iconic but black twitter can stay screaming RaCiZM?!!! :isudumblmao:

The sitcom is like 25 years old. While a discussion about gone with the wind can be interesting even 100 years after cause It's good to enlight about its false narrative Friends doesn't have black people but doesn't have a negative portray of them too.

So what's the point of a joke of something from 25 years ago?.

Seems like when, now every star is so perfectly PR designesd (after 13 years of Twitter),  they search controversial things Oprah/daid Letterman said in their shows in 1992 to rant about It.

These Netflix special stand up comedy shows are the only controversial things still existing, but they are not so numerous, so these people living on engangments for being woke about entertainment things can't survive only with that. They need material from the past now :bird:

Edited by vale9001

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.