E3 2023 has been canceled!

Gwendolyn

Almost a year after announcing its return, the Entertainment Software Association announced today to its members that this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), has been canceled, IGN can confirm.

The event was supposed to be held from June 13th through June 16th at the Los Angeles Convention Center and would have been the first in-person E3 event since 2019.

Two sources have confirmed to IGN that the organization announced the cancellation via an email sent out to its members today. The email said that while E3 "remains a beloved event and brand" that the 2023 version "simply did not garner the sustained interest necessary to execute it in a way that would showcase the size, strength, and impact of our industry."

The ESA concludes the email by reiterating its commitment to advocacy work.

https://www.ign.com/articles/e3-has-been-canceled?utm_source=twitter

Edited by Gwendolyn

Well 

Hopefully that means Mortal Kombat 12 gets announced sooner :duca:

Yeah, not ready for all the "Go woke go broke" tweets and comments from the video game community. :rip:

Yeah well with the big players withdrawing from it was pretty inevitable

It died when sony left anyway. Since then it was already a matter of time.

End of an era 

these companies dont need E3 

36 minutes ago, WildAmerican said:

i know someone who works at ESA :celestial5:

*worked

Sad but expected, no one was attending anyway :giraffe:

I remember when E3 used to be such a huge event. It's understandable why it's not as popular anymore but this is still sad to see.

3 minutes ago, Jotham said:

I remember when E3 used to be such a huge event. It's understandable why it's not as popular anymore but this is still sad to see.

EVERYTHING used to be a huge event. Now? Not at all. Sad really. 

Nobody moved 

• ATRL Moderator

:noparty: One of my favorite times of the year.

This is actually so sad but the death of e3 was seen many years ago…

As much as this marks the end of an era, truly, the spirit of E3 was long lost.

Let it rest. And let the industry learn the hard way that no one will be tuning in for 376843764 events held by each publisher.

thank you nintendo :clap3: 

looks like BOTW was the last hurrah :clap3: 

4 hours ago, Jotham said:

Agreed. Covid forced a lot of companies and brands to get creative and now they have all realized that they can get just as much attention by releasing their own previews (see Nintendo direct for example)

8 hours ago, Jotham said:

This. The way I looked forward to it year after year, it truly feels like the end of an era.

Sony leaving really ended them huh?

I know they had 2021, but it felt like it was never coming back after 2020. Which is kind of a shame, E3 was always a really fun time of the year for a bunch of concentrated news but I kinda like the more spread out company game showcases these days a little more.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.