What American foods were overhyped when you tried them for the first time?

Josh

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Josh

• Badgalbriel

• Blade Runner

• Bonicap

Philly cheesestake, sloppy joes, pork ribs, crawfish 

Lived in the US all my life, but have never liked them. 

On 3/30/2023 at 12:05 PM, Badgalbriel said:

I'd love to hear more about it. Do you have the name of some of the dishes? I actually love new types food and I feel like the way America is portrayed internally doesn't really showcase what you guys have to offer. 

This is true. I'm not sure where you're from, but I've been in Europe for near a decade, and Europeans at least are definitely taught that we have no culture. And yet, Europe loves to copy everything we do. Go figure. :ninja:

But to answer your question, it highly depends on the region you're from. Some dishes and foods you could try are Caesar salads (yes, it's American), Southern style mac and cheese, cheddar biscuits (not cookies but rolls), fajitas and other tex-mex dishes, New England chowders, and apple cider doughnuts. And if you want something really, really bad for you, you could look into some of the fair snacks, which are basically diabetes bombs.

I won't lie. Food and nutrition in America are really bad overall. But there are great dishes that taste good if you know where to look. :smiley:

not that it was hyped, but american bread is terrible. who makes bread sweet, wth

Edited by Snoopy

Americans catching strays over mac n cheese when its actually a British dish:bibliahh:

I guess it must be the cheese Americans use, it all looks really bland. The pasta type too.

no shade but I think a lot of non-North Americans just don't really "get" American food... like it's not meant to taste "good".. it's a vibe tbh

I'm screaming at everything considered "American" food. This country really is the pits when it comes to cuisine :skull:

I've tried some well known American snacks and they are just not worth the consumption of banned chemicals, sugar overload and the shortened lifespan as a whole. 

Pop Tarts, Tootsie, Skittles and Reese's were below average. My country's local candy and snacks are ten times better than these.

I had Five Guys when they opened in Europe, waited 30 mins for a cold burger, on top of being expensive, a FLOP

My dad went to the states and brought some candy

Reese. Theyre too overly sweet. 
Hersheys. Meh. Loved more the artisan chocolate he brought from a place called Hansel and Gretel
Starburts And Skittles. They taste exactly like two brands of candy in my country. Looks like my country copied them lmfao. So, it was like eating familiar candy. 
Takis. Omg these things are impossible to eat. Too overly spicy. 

Sunchips. Delicious. Wish they would sell those here

Mike Ike. This is the best candy i ever eaten. Even favorite than some of my country. 
Airheads. Loved this one a lot. 

Tacobell. Closed all the stores in my country but it was really good and miss it. 

Edited by AvadaKedavra

On 3/30/2023 at 7:24 AM, Marvin said:

This thread just confirms that most people dragging the US know nothing about it :rip: 

This. American chocolate is vile? Like there is only one type of chocolate available throughout the entire country:bibliahh:

DR Pepper was turrible your honor:ghostface:

Liked almost everything else tho, especially Flaming Hot Cheetos, I wish we had them here  

17 hours ago, TaggedGalaxy said:

This. American chocolate is vile? Like there is only one type of chocolate available throughout the entire country:bibliahh:

going to the US and thinking the chocolate there tastes weird/vile is a pretty common experience for tourists. the same company probably has two different recipes for the same bar of chocolate, depending on if it's being distributed in the America or Europe. it all boils down to the source of cacao and abiding by the law to meet the threshold of cacao solids to label something as "chocolate." there's also the fact that there's an acid in Hershey's recipe that comes from milk that actually tastes like vomit. read up on it if you want: Why Hershey's Chocolate Tastes Like ... Well, Vomit | HuffPost Life

Edited by Sombre

for the most part, american sweets are vile. those poor trick-or-treaters :rip:.

i actually don't find Hershey's too bad but i can see why people taste "vomit".

Pop Tarts

Idk what I expected but I guess at least a little bit of flavor and not just sugary cardboard :rip:

On 3/30/2023 at 1:17 AM, Jotham said:

Lol @ some of these replies. Who hyped corn dogs and meatloaf for y'all? :toofunny2:

mte :ahh: 

I agree with mac and cheese & Hershey's chocolate being meh.

But I do like Taki's and Reese's.

Honestly pop tarts 

reese's peanut butter cups

way too sweet even though I liked the peanut butter flavor

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.