Disney Strips DeSantis' Board of Power in Secret Deal

Mr. Mendes

wirestory_65ba19dd7af7927b07185f52d0a6e2a7_16x9_992.jpg

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Board members picked by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis to oversee the governance of Walt Disney World said Wednesday that their Disney-controlled predecessors pulled a fast one on them by passing restrictive covenants that strip the new board of many of its powers.

The current supervisors of the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District said at a meeting that their predecessors last month signed a development agreement with the company that gave Disney maximum developmental power over the theme park resort's 27,000 acres in central Florida.

The five supervisors were appointed by the Republican governor to the board after the Florida Legislature overhauled Disney's government in retaliation for the entertainment giant publicly opposing so-called “Don’t Say Gay” legislation that bars instruction on sexual orientation and gender identity in kindergarten through third grade, as well as lessons deemed not age-appropriate.

In taking on Disney, DeSantis furthered his reputation as a culture warrior willing to battle perceived political enemies and wield the power of state government to accomplish political goals, a strategy that is expected to continue ahead of his potential White House run.

The new supervisors replaced a board that had been controlled by Disney during the previous 55 years that the government operated as the Reedy Creek Improvement District. The new board members held their first meeting earlier this month and said they found out about the agreement after their appointments.

“We’re going to have to deal with it and correct it,” board member Brian Aungst said Wednesday. “It’s a subversion of the will of the voters and the Legislature and the governor. It completely circumvents the authority of this board to govern.”

Under the terms of the agreement, the district is prohibited from using the name “Disney” or any symbols associated with the theme park resort without the company's permission, nor can it use the likeness of Mickey Mouse, other Disney characters or other intellectual property in any manner. The company can sue for damages for any violations, and the agreement is in effect until perpetuity, according to the declaration.

If the agreement is deemed to violate rules against perpetuity, it will be in effect until 21 years after the death of the last survivor of the descendants of England's King Charles III, the declaration said.

In a statement, Disney said all agreements were above board and took place in public.

“All agreements signed between Disney and the District were appropriate, and were discussed and approved in open, noticed public forums in compliance with Florida’s Government in the Sunshine law,” the statement said.

JustLikeHoney

Disney swiftly kicks DeSantis in the balls. :clap3:

I think this fight between Disney and DeSantis is far from over. Disney is probably prepared to ruin him. 

Edited by JustLikeHoney

10 minutes ago, JustLikeHoney said:

Disney swiftly kicks DeSantis in the balls. :clap3:

I think this fight between Disney and DeSantis is far from over. Disney is probably prepared to ruin him. 

Dear God I hope so :clap3:

You don’t go against Disney and live to tell the story 

Home Run Birthday GIF by Mickey Mouse

Disney has been around longer than Ron has been alive.  He’s a fool if he thinks he can control them, which is also ironic because the GOP is supposed to be all about big business small government.

Imagine being a republican and picking a fight with one of the worlds biggest monopolies 

Corporate hegemony is evil but desantis is morer eviler I fear. :giraffe:

I can't wait to see how this dick-measuring contest plays out. Florida needs Disney more than Disney needs Florida, so I'm perched :jonny:

It’s a subversion of the will of the voters

***** where lmao. Y’all were appointed by DeSantis, you weren’t elected for this.

Disney is a monopoly that needs to be broken up, but until then, they can go about dismantling DeSantis :gaygacat6:

3 hours ago, Black Jesus said:

I can't wait to see how this dick-measuring contest plays out. Florida needs Disney more than Disney needs Florida, so I'm perched :jonny:

Disney would outlast his entire bloodline. Even if the mouse takes an L now, they would still always win the long war. They literally only need to handpick a pro-Disney governor from now on. DeStupid is so dumb for poking the behemoth into getting involved in local politics.

Disney’s far from a saint so I can’t praise them here, but I thought the line about the descendants of King Charles III was trolling until I actually read the reporting :skull: It’s actually in the contract :deadbanana4: This is like Veep on crack :rip: 

14 minutes ago, Rep2000 said:

Disney would outlast his entire bloodline. Even if the mouse takes an L now, they would still always win the long war. They literally only need to handpick a pro-Disney governor from now on. DeStupid is so dumb for poking the behemoth into getting involved in local politics.

Literally, they could just up and move to another state and Orlando would cease to exist. 

Our Lord & Savior - Legend Lilibet Diana

FscAo3HaAAAJLa3?format=jpg&name=small

Mickey Mouse GIF by Walt Disney Records Dont mess with Mickey~!

9 hours ago, Moloko Plus said:

The first and only time I’ll ever root for Disney lmao.

!!! 

Let me give Disney+ some COINS (until they get DeSatan) 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.