• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SchmoodRing

• Nashe

• YoungDreamer

• SomeGirl

21 hours ago, OhMyAlf said:

I know she said her album release shows tomorrow are her only headline shows this year.. hopeful she might do a small run next year though 

She needs to book more TV show appearances, main stage shows as well and book festivals asap. Unless she's gonna continue pumping out music regularly and what not she really cannot afford to slow down. Put out another single. Give us the deluxe. More features and collaborations for the rest of the year to hold us over for RO4

20 hours ago, wildthaughts said:

She said she’s going on tour after finishing the recording of RO4.:alexz:

I LOVE HOW SMART SHE'S BEING ABOUT THIS. She knows she's lacking the proper catalog to back up her time in the industry and being signed to a label like BMG will give her the creative liberty and license to own her artistry and put out as she can. This is a huge win for us fan of hers. The fact that she's already talking and working on the next album is major. She's inspired and always ready to work. Love that about her.

10 hours ago, wildthaughts said:

Calvin keeps fighting stans on twitter for 2014 album (and saying that the scrapped songs are bad as if we didn’t hear them in 2014:bibliahh:) and she ignored him when she was asked about his tweets. She doesn’t want any drama since people always dragged her. You will never see her talking about Roc Nation, Calvin or Atlantic drama.

Yeah ya don't know the half of the scrutiny she was put under the second she debuted. This girl was set up from the jump the second they tried to market her as a Rihannabe, Calvin is such a dick how he handled things with Rita which actually sabotaged her chances again at her breaking through, as far as Warner/Atlantic, what drama exactly transpired their? Thought that they parted ways amicably 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SomeGirl said:

Women aren’t obligated to go into detail about things that are traumatic for them just because it’d be entertaining for you. Especially because internet culture is pretty, if not entirely, incapable of empathy. If all someone wants to hear are juicy details and not about how someone else feels, then they lack empathy. I mean, she literally filed a lawsuit against Roc Nation with details that everyone could read and she was dragged for it/made fun of/not believed. I’m not sure what other details are needed. In general, I think pretty much everyone knows most of what’s been in the media. I don’t think she owes anyone specific details about what happened in personal relationships. (I mean she literally talked about feeling violated in those tabloid moments). I think what we don’t often hear from her is how she feels and what she goes through, and that was interesting to me and I empathize with a lot of what she was saying, especially as a woman. I don’t see how those discussions around anxiety, breakdowns, how she copes, and feeling the need to prove her worth aren’t relatable. I don’t think she needed to specify moments that broke her, at least some are certainly obvious. Now if she did want to go into a slightly more focused conversation on the way she’s been treated by the internet, that would be a great convo to have but this also wasn’t the place or host for that conversation. That belongs with a woman host like EmRata. Someone who is capable of understanding and sensitive to the subject, and she’d be comfortable with. (This host literally questioned whether she really could feel broken). And lbr, people aren’t going to be very receptive to hearing her because whatever happened with those exes, or whoever, was one part of the equation, and private, but how society responded was another and actually bigger issue and actual discussion to be had. And unfortunately things haven’t changed that much in 10 years. She’s very much still a favorite punching bag for people. 

I love you, couldn't have said it better myself. 

6 hours ago, Popboi. said:

No. Album extremely likely to debut top 10 at least.

any word on physical sales? u said she’s signing CDs

edit: #3 midweek not bad. she has a shot.

Edited by Saint James

5 hours ago, SomeGirl said:

Women aren’t obligated to go into detail about things that are traumatic for them just because it’d be entertaining for you. Especially because internet culture is pretty, if not entirely, incapable of empathy. If all someone wants to hear are juicy details and not about how someone else feels, then they lack empathy. I mean, she literally filed a lawsuit against Roc Nation with details that everyone could read and she was dragged for it/made fun of/not believed. I’m not sure what other details are needed. In general, I think pretty much everyone knows most of what’s been in the media. I don’t think she owes anyone specific details about what happened in personal relationships. (I mean she literally talked about feeling violated in those tabloid moments). I think what we don’t often hear from her is how she feels and what she goes through, and that was interesting to me and I empathize with a lot of what she was saying, especially as a woman. I don’t see how those discussions around anxiety, breakdowns, how she copes, and feeling the need to prove her worth aren’t relatable. I don’t think she needed to specify moments that broke her, at least some are certainly obvious. Now if she did want to go into a slightly more focused conversation on the way she’s been treated by the internet, that would be a great convo to have but this also wasn’t the place or host for that conversation. That belongs with a woman host like EmRata. Someone who is capable of understanding and sensitive to the subject, and she’d be comfortable with. (This host literally questioned whether she really could feel broken). And lbr, people aren’t going to be very receptive to hearing her because whatever happened with those exes, or whoever, was one part of the equation, and private, but how society responded was another and actually bigger issue and actual discussion to be had. And unfortunately things haven’t changed that much in 10 years. She’s very much still a favorite punching bag for people. 

No, No, No. 

This misses the mark on almost every note and comes off as fan-bias. 

At the end of the day, this is the music BUSINESS. Rita is tasked with selling albums. This week especially. 

As many have said here and beyond, one of her biggest issues is coming across as faceless, basic, and generic (musically and personality). We know she can sing, but that's not enough.

Doing an interview on a platform where most guests have historically shared really resonating stories and detailed examples of overcoming, only to talk around almost every serious/interesting topic related to HER and her career is not maximizing the platform IMO. 

Yes, she covered a handful of interesting topics but in almost every instance failed to dive into the "why" of it all. People gravitate to stories, they gravitate to detail. Rita covered most things topically (very topline) but never went into much definitive detail. 

Made it all rather hollow IMO. It's not the end of the world, but we all know her predicament with the public and that it needs to change.

Again, there is an album to sell and a GP to get back on board. It's a BUSINESS. Wanting her to hit her marks and genuinely connect with the audience is not "lacking empathy", it's called being smart, roping in viewers, and rebuilding a stronger and more engaged fanbase. 

Edited by Cbreezy
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

The first half of the album isn't that bad, but I'm bored of the ballads in the second half.

Ava Max and Kim Petras released the better generic pop albums this year.

3 hours ago, Cbreezy said:

No, No, No. 

At the end of the day, this is the music BUSINESS. Rita is tasked with selling albums. This week especially. 

As many have said here and beyond, one of her biggest issues is coming across as faceless, basic, and generic (musically and personality). We know she can sing, but that's not enough.

Doing an interview on a platform where most guests have historically shared really resonating stories and detailed examples of overcoming, only to talk around almost every serious/interesting topic related to HER and her career is not maximizing the platform IMO. 

Yes, she covered a handful of interesting topics but in almost every instance failed to dive into the "why" of it all. People gravitate to stories, they gravitate to detail. Rita covered most things topically (very topline) but never went into much definitive detail. 

Made it all rather hollow IMO. It's not the end of the world, but we all know her predicament with the public and that it needs to change.

Again, there is an album to sell and a GP to get back on board. It's a BUSINESS. Wanting her to hit her marks and genuinely connect with the audience is not "lacking empathy", it's called being smart, roping in viewers, and rebuilding a stronger and more engaged fanbase. 

Fan bias? No. I am a woman, and I am tired.  

And I don’t think I missed the mark at all. I don’t at all see how you can look at how she, and other women, have been treated and responded to over the years at every turn and not realize the larger conversation to be had with her.

She gave many examples of “why”. The only thing she didn’t give were juicy details about her breakups or Roc Nation (which, first of all, they settled out of court so there is absolutely an NDA). (Frankly, please specify what else it is you’d like to hear/know the “why” about that she missed?) Going into juicy tabloid grabbing details (especially when it involves men with fan bases) does not gain her sympathy and fans. It gets her branded an attention seeker and a complainer. It becomes a conversation defensive of those men. (I gave a concrete example that you didn’t respond to, but I can give more if need be). And it’s clear from what she’s said that she doesn’t want those headlines. She’s not a new artist with a story and a clean slate. The public doesn’t see her as “faceless” when it comes to her portrayal in the media. They see her as noted above, someone who is over-exposed, unlikeable, salacious, devoid of real human emotions.

I thought she did a good job, and gather from the comments section others did too, of showing that she’s a real person with feelings. Those moments are what make her relatable. And again, this conversation in general was better had with a woman. For this interviewer, noting the differences between how men and women respond and how being a woman relates to difficulties she’s had were an after thought. And that to me, and I’m sure to many other women, was one of the most relatable moments/parts of the conversation. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cbreezy said:

No, No, No. 

She's not legally allowed to talk about most of her "serious/interesting" topics. It's not a question of she should or should not talk about them, she can't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Popboi. said:

She's not legally allowed to talk about most of her "serious/interesting" topics. It's not a question of she should or should not talk about them, she can't.

On the Roc Nation tip, I hear that and in hindsight understand. But I still stand by the fact that a lil too much of the interview felt meh and non-descript.

As a viewer, I'm way more likely to connect with:

"I was going through a tough time BECAUSE ______ and ________ were happening at the time. I made a conscious choice after that to ______"

than I am:

"I was going through a tough time and it was hard."

I get that she's in a predicament where there's probably a lot of red tape/restrictions around the more compelling corners of her story, but if she's to ever overcome the "who is she?" "what does she even do?" "I couldn't tell you a thing about her" that are thrown her way by the public ALL THE TIME then she needs to seize instances like this to find ways to share more about herself and her career. 

Not to give sis a script, but even something as simple as:

"I see what people say. Those who say they don't know what I "do". But let me break it down for you. Most artists don't make money from actual music anymore. I sure haven't. I made a decision after ____insert interesting narrative___ to impact as many mediums as possible. Because I'm good at them and also for $$$ security. You have to wear many hats these days to have a long career"

Not salacious, not dramatic, but...interesting.

This interview (like most of hers (and I say this as someone who likes her) was just full of monosyllabic nothingness. "It was hard. It was tough". WHAT WAS HARD AND WHAT WAS TOUGH?! Sell yourself! Sell your story! Sell...albums!

Churning out the cliche "this is my most personal album yet" tripe in every interview is so blah and these days is ineffective.

Edited by Cbreezy

3 minutes ago, REL said:

FIRO killed it

she is so mother god i love her

#1 & #50 on UK iTunes following the discount. Hopefully the top 3 debut is secured.

I saw an Insta post about the deluxe tracks but they aren't on Spotify?

I've heard Praising You in my local pop radio station. I was surprised cuz I haven't heard Rita playing in radios in Brazil since....idk? R.IP.?

It sounds heavenly in radio tho. :smitten:

She performed "You & I" for the first time tonight

On 7/19/2023 at 1:55 AM, Cbreezy said:

Was really looking forward to this and was totally underwhelmed. 

I always find shows that are "supposed" to be "deep" and "reflective" kinda risky as it doesn't really account for the fact that not every guest will have the most "deep" or "reflective" story.

With Rita, she does have the story and this was a good opportunity to score relatability points and show personality beyond being a slightly faceless GP music jukebox, but neither she nor the host went THERE. 

I imagine a combination of legal reasons and industry etiquette had her avoid certain topics, but for her not to address what happened with Roc Nation (even slightly), specificities about her boyfriends (e.g. Calvin drama), or any real issues behind the scenes (like what happened with Atlantic) was disappointing. There was so much talking around things and indirects that it made the whole thing...blah.

Like, girl, you have an album to sell. Get the headlines.  

Yeah the interview was disappointing... Nothing newsworthy came out of this

Have to say I was at the Kingston show last night and she smashed it, really hoping this can hang onto a top 5 position today :jonnycat:

After listening to this for a week I'm taking Waiting For You, Girl in the Mirror and Notting Hill and running

Don't Think Twice & Unfeel It should've been the first two singles.

They were so dumb

I'm in love with I Don't Wanna Be Your Friend :jonny5:

#6 on the UK Official Albums chart - 6,227 units [3,895 CDs, 950 vinyl, 529 downloads, 853 streaming]
You & I tops the Official Record Store Chart as the most purchased album of the past 7 days in the UK’s independent record shops.

Edited by Nefertiti0
  • Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.