Rita Ora - 'You & I'

kyliefever2002

First impression - 7/10. A perfectly serviceable pop album, nothing downright terrible but nothing really outstanding either. Generic but that's to be expected from Rita.

Why tf was there an edited version of Don't Think Twice? Listening to the full thing made the song finally click for me; the strings make it sound like a good opening track.

Highlights: Girl In the Mirror (!!) and Notting Hill. GITM in particular was a standout

Lowlights: Nothing particularly bad, but apart from the singles and a couple of tracks everything sounded very same-y

A step down from Phoenix, but still a decent album nonetheless. Hyping this up as Rita's most personal and full-bodied work to date does it a disservice though

• Like 1

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SchmoodRing

• Nashe

• YoungDreamer

• SomeGirl

Girl in the Mirror reminds me of another song but I can't think what. Any suggestions/ ideas?

The melody of Shape of Me reminds me of Diamonds & Dancefloors (the song) :skull:

This album is so bad! I don't understand what's goin' on with Rita, but it looks like this new album is unfinished, it feels like there are just demos, the production sucks!!!

The Man Who
39 minutes ago, Mordecai said:

Highlights: Girl In the Mirror (!!)

spacer.png

• Like 1

This is a very weird album for me. I LOVED Phoenix, also lowkey stanned Ora. But everything about this album as a whole feels like a very bland inoffensive collection of pop songs.

But it misses some clear standouts. Even the singles released from this kinda never completly grabbed me. Overall a 6/10

• Like 2

You & I is a great song imo, but the album... :skull:! I like the effort, but there is nothing which sounds like a standout other than the singles. Had to give her credit though that her voice sounds the best she ever sounded. 

I finally listened the whole album. It's not as bad as some of y'all claimed to be, lol. Idk, but it feels kinda disconnected....?...sonically?

I felt that the first part isn't connected to the second half. Like, Girl in the Mirror between Look at Me Now and Notting Hill....it feels out of place, idk how to explain properly :michael:

Also, her voice in Shape of Me and Look at Me Now sounds so differently, it doesn't sounds like Rita's voice at all.

But still, I don't hate it. It's a ok and safe pop album but we all know Rita is capable of so much more tho 

• Like 1

Unfeel it is a bop! I agree that the album feels disconnected compared to her last efforts tho. Bonus tracks aren't on streaming yet right?

6 minutes ago, totofogo said:

Unfeel it is a bop! I agree that the album feels disconnected compared to her last efforts tho. Bonus tracks aren't on streaming yet right?

Not yet, at least not in Spotify Brazil.

im listening and yes, its weird, def the least good album by her. to me she had flawless discography.

unfeel it sounds super demo-ish. like it wasnt even taken 2 days to make that song.

you & I sounds like rita herself is not connected to the music at all.

i dont know what happened and what was the process of making this project like, but i never heard rita ora record like this. and i love bops.

thats not the problem.

album sounds like these demos were for other people and they got rejected and she put all that in 'collection' naming it album not working any further or deeper on them.

girl in the mirror is the best song on the album imo :gaynetcat4:

starts off painfully generic but those last few songs are just laughable and so unserious :rip:

Of the new songs,  Unfeel It and Waiting For You Are great. That Girl is a bop, utilized the Eddie Murphy sample better than I thought though still kinda jarring.

Shape Of Me, You & I, Look At Me Now, Notting Hill, I Don't Wanna Be Your Friend are nice though very middle of the road. Girl In The Mirror brings me back in though and would make a great single choice. 

Overall, a pleasant but not extraordinary listen. Listening to this album is how I imagine J.Lo's next album This Is Me... Now to sound like. 

• Like 1

maybe it’s bc my expectations were extremely low but this is pretty fine. def the kind of album i’ll use for a few weeks and then forget it exists but for now im at least not bored by it like i expected. she really just needs to give it up and go back to giving us superb pop bops like Anywhere and LYLM

also why is she giving Duffy in shape of me :rip:  and the “personal” 2nd half are just movie soundtrack ballads with basic cliched lyrics, they’re giving Rina

Edited by Scandalous

#23 on Apple Music UK

yikes...

She better sell those vinyls.

On 7/13/2023 at 10:10 PM, misterdede said:

That Girl samples 

Just started listening to the album, but I can say TASTE.

If girl in the mirror is the best song on this then :rip:

I refuse to believe this is the best she can offer after phoenix

The album might not be her best but one thing she got it right was with the packaging :jonny: this looks beautiful, so many pictures and there’s also the lyrics and bonus tracks included. It’s more like a book than a zine imo

Glad I bought a copy of this :duca:

23 minutes ago, Lady Claire said:

The album might not be her best but one thing she got it right was with the packaging :jonny: this looks beautiful, so many pictures and there’s also the lyrics and bonus tracks included. It’s more like a book than a zine imo

Glad I bought a copy of this :duca:

It's just a common BMG thing. All of Kylie's packings are superb also.

Just now, prézli said:

Why isn't this the cover, like seriously.

9spMHOLB_o.png

Because this is cheap and tacky. The one with her laying in a red leather dress in her garden is gag worthy. 

• Thanks 1

It’s a cute album, I prefer the first half with Unfeel It being a highlight.

The second half kinda fell flat for me. That BOP however, slaps hard. The bass sounds so good with headphones!

The first few seconds of Waiting For You sounds like the start of Lana Del Rey’s Radio :skull:

Edited by Adam’s Eve

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.