Should I quit or wait to be fired?

BionicWooHoo

Being fired means you’ll have severance…

And being fired (contrary to popular belief) isn’t the end of the world. I’ve been there… fortunately I was able to get another job pretty soon and since then I’ve had a really great run career wise.

I know it’s different for everyone, but a LOT of people go through this and come out the other end… 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BionicWooHoo

• dabunique

• Oktober Knight

• Raptus

Stick it out, contact HR immediately regarding bullying. Have it on record so they’re scared to fire you lol. 

They sound horrible to work with.  For your benefit, save copies of your performance review and negative communication if possible via a cloud storage service, USB drive, or print out.  Honestly, even if they don’t fire you, finding a better company to work for is probably best for your well-being.  

Just remember that if people give you problems like this again, try to say as little as possible and just let them talk so you can record these conversations.  Use your iPhone/Google audio recording app so you have everything just in case you need to go to HR.

Edited by Archetype

You WILL find a new job no matter what happens. Take video of your email correspondence and Teams chats, and get on unemployment.

Your workplace sounds toxic and employee unfriendly.  I wouldn’t scream at a fellow employee - that’s just unprofessional 

5 hours ago, JustHoran said:

Wait until you're fired and collect unemployment. You should absolutely still be able to get unemployment if you're fired. I wouldn't quit.

:giraffe:

You never have to explain being fired? I legit got a job right after being fired and no one asked anything (this was a corporate legal job at that).

6 hours ago, Limitless said:

The one thing no one is saying in here, that is of utmost importance, if the job is manageable (as it pertains to stress) and doesn’t consume you, wait it out. 

IF you get fired, you’ll (hopefully) not only get paid your PTO/Sick Time, a severance and extended health benefits. On TOP of that, you can file for unemployment. 

If you quit, the ONLY thing you’ll get is your PTO/Sick Time paid out. 

This!  Just to emphasize this. 

Sorry you are going through this OP, toxic work environments are not it.

As for your question: 100% wait until you are fired to collect that unemployement. The economy is not good right now and you do not know how long you could be without a job. As others have said, take screenshots of everything if you cannot send emails to yourself, start recording the calls you are having with your boss, if she is actually screaming at you then it can be used against her when you file a case with HR which you should also be doing ASAP as she's essentially bullying you and workplaces have zero tolerance policies. 

I would start looking at jobs now too. Your resume can list this job as present and if you get a few interviews in, they will just see that you are currently working at Company X. If you are fired, then sure you need to state when you ended working with the company but with how things are, you can easily make up lies that you were part of a larger companywide layoff. Future employers do NOT need to know that you were fired especially with how you are describing things. Just remember not to trash talk them in interviews but go more along of the route of wanting to work somewhere that offers more room for growth, that has a clear company mission, more flexible WFH policies, etc. 

You've got this :hug: 

Document everything. Writing, photos if you can take some.

It's not right that they're yelling at you for opening an interview call late even though you were sent the invitation late.

At least if they try to fire you, you can threaten to sue for unfair practices.

Edited by St. Francis

The place sounds very toxic. I normally would say wait to get fired so you can collect unemployment but this sounds like you shouldn't give them the satisfaction of terminating you and you should just leave them hanging, suddenly. Beat them to the punch. 

7 hours ago, getBusy said:

Honest question: how would anyone know that you were fired?

I was imagining like when new employers ask why did you leave the previous company but I guess I can just fib

Also thank you all for the supportive comments. I’ve never been this scared in my life tbh. 

also what is everyone’s thoughts on this:

they are claiming I don’t respond to teams messages so I actually created an excel spreadsheet to calculate on average how long it takes for me to reply on teams. For me it’s 4.5 minutes. I also did a calculation of how long it takes for one of my team leads to reply on average, it’s 70 minutes. I am very tempted to email this spreadsheet but I am afraid of adding more fuel to fire but also I definitely want these numbers to be shown bc numbers don’t lie. I feel like my director will yet again be like “you sending me receipts is showing me you don’t accept accountability”

They are obviously setting you up for failure and they are hoping you quit so they won’t have to give you unemployment. 

Let dem fire u, but actively start searchin

quitting will not get u unemployment

as others have said, save those receipts, just in case hey try to fight ur unemployment

corporate world is such trash, i would kno, same thing happened to me

after working 10 years in a brand hotel, they said my work was lacking and made no advancement in my position (in da last year i went through 3 managers who didn't take da time to teach me anything) for it to come out that it was too expensive to keep me so they hired a new person to do my job for less pay and benefits

i at the end got da last laugh when i and other former employees got da HR Director, Rooms Exec and General Manager fired because they were in cahoots with ownership to fire long time employees to save money, da brand came in and cleaned house

4 hours ago, BionicWooHoo said:

I was imagining like when new employers ask why did you leave the previous company but I guess I can just fib

Also thank you all for the supportive comments. I’ve never been this scared in my life tbh. 

also what is everyone’s thoughts on this:

they are claiming I don’t respond to teams messages so I actually created an excel spreadsheet to calculate on average how long it takes for me to reply on teams. For me it’s 4.5 minutes. I also did a calculation of how long it takes for one of my team leads to reply on average, it’s 70 minutes. I am very tempted to email this spreadsheet but I am afraid of adding more fuel to fire but also I definitely want these numbers to be shown bc numbers don’t lie. I feel like my director will yet again be like “you sending me receipts is showing me you don’t accept accountability”

I think it's VERY unlikely that they'll find out you were fired. Even with a background check, most companies don't put that info out there because it can get them in trouble. I do understand you're trying to cover your ass though, and it's the smart thing to do. But honestly I think you can just lie about this if it ends up happening.

re: that spreadsheet, send it but ONLY WITH YOUR DATA. Don't include your lead's data. Don't compare yourself to anyone else unless they ask you to.

1 hour ago, Sergi91 said:

they are hoping you quit so they won’t have to give you unemployment

absolutely

NEVER quit without another job lined up + quitting might make you ineligible for unemployment 

Let them fire you and collect that free money until they do, babe :katie2:

1 hour ago, CBC said:

NEVER quit without another job lined up + quitting might make you ineligible for unemployment 

spacer.png

Do not quit. As other people have stated, they are setting you up to fire you. 

Continue doing your job, try and be as transparent and proper as possible, screenshot all the important information that could potentially help your case. 

If they fire you, you will receive unemployment benefits.

Is there any compensation agreement in your contract in your contract? If yes, and they fire you for no valid reason, they must pay you your salary for 1-2 months, depending on your contract. At least that's what I know about a lot of corporate companies. 

Start actively looking for a new job. And don't worry about the interviewing process. You can be transparent in your interview and explain what happened. You don't have to 'bad mouth' them, but explain that the reason they fired you is due to revenue losses which forced them to make cut backs and fired a lot of employees. You can be respectful and honest. That's not a bad thing and I doubt that would look 'bad' in any interview. 

10 hours ago, CBC said:

While it's better to have a secure job and benefits, sometimes, a job can absolutely wreck your mental health. I declined a job offer after 2 weeks of training because the expectations/demands of the job were so unrealistic and time-consuming that I declined the offer without another job lined up. Fortunately, I had benefits from my last job that rolled over & I was paid for my training. I also got lucky in that I secured a job just 2 weeks later. But still, I am extremely happy I turned down that job offer. That job made me so anxious it worsened my insomnia, I hyperventilated once at work, and my GI issues were crazy bad. I said, "Nope. This is absolutely not worth it for me," and I haven't looked back. 

As someone that has also experienced workplace harassment and actually was told I was ineligible for contract renewal for the following year, if your mental health and ego can take it, I'd stick the job out. While my contract wasn't renewed, I still had great benefits and pay for the remaining year. If I didn't have that, as horrible as that job is, my mental health would've truly taken a hit. 

That being said, even if you showed these people documented proof, for some reason, they have it out for you. Maybe it's your demeanor? Maybe they're homophobic? We will never know. While you are still at this job, if you are comfortable with it, I'd definitely contact HR with evidence that PROVES workplace harassment. 

If I remember correctly, if there is not concrete evidence of harassment toward race/religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, etc. it is hard to prove workplace harassment, especially if you don't have lawyers. 

What you could do-- if you decide to work there-- is to set firm boundaries. The next time your boss screams at you or says something inappropriate about your work performance, say, "I understand you are my boss. But please do not speak to me like that." Even if your boss were to record you saying that, there's no way you would get in trouble because nothing offensive was being said. If your boss is insistent, I'd say, "Sir. I understand what you're saying, and as your employee, I am here to work for you. However, this language is not productive to my performance" or something similar. 

While you're under your boss, you absolutely have a voice and can boundary-set. When I think back to my job with the 2 bosses from hell, I only wish I stuck it to them harder.

Valid ur mental health is very important, i would start documenting everything, just in case u do quit, u have proof of a hostile work environment, showcasing why you quit, they won't deny unemployment, also as much as i hate saying this, HR is not to be trusted at ALL

they only here to make sure whatever da company does it doesn't break any laws, they truly not in it for the employees and will actively work against u

56 minutes ago, zasderfght said:

While it's better to have a secure job and benefits, sometimes, a job can absolutely wreck your mental health. I declined a job offer after 2 weeks of training because the expectations/demands of the job were so unrealistic and time-consuming that I declined the offer without another job lined up. Fortunately, I had benefits from my last job that rolled over & I was paid for my training. I also got lucky in that I secured a job just 2 weeks later. But still, I am extremely happy I turned down that job offer. That job made me so anxious it worsened my insomnia, I hyperventilated once at work, and my GI issues were crazy bad. I said, "Nope. This is absolutely not worth it for me," and I haven't looked back. 

u r absolutely correct, my roommate went through the same thing

he moved back to Miami after finding a dream job, we told him move in with us while u get on ur feet, but after a few weeks he literally quit

he was doing da job of 2-3 people and doing things that were never explained to him during the employment process and severely stressing himself out

he luckily found a quick job to hold him down until a better opportunity came along (which it did, thankfully)

2 hours ago, zasderfght said:

Oh I totally get you I did the same thing and don't regret it but I was fortunate to have a safety net

Look for a new job while you do this one! And better to wait for them to fire you, you're not going to use them for a reference anyways so you could always just tell a future employer you were "let go" (vs. fired) 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.