Why is Taylor Swift so massive?

Habibro

Her music is deep but at the same time easy to resonate with. I hate when she does campy stuff like Me or Bejeweled. But her serious songs are so damn good :gaycat7:

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Badgalbriel

• PoisonedIvy

• Aristide

• The Music Industry

3 minutes ago, Aristide said:

Straight men do not listen to Taylor Swift. Yes maybe she has some gay fans here and there but her success is entirely attributed to the straight white women audience.

Studies show that this is factually false. 

https://resources.audiense.com/blog/taylor-swift-red-album-success-what-you-can-learn 

this one was published around the time of the release of Red TV, and shows that her audience was 55% female and 45% male. 

I also can't find the link to the one that was very recently published and discussed on this forum that showed her audience was 52% female and 48% male. 

She's a really good writer, very talented in that regard and she's ambitious which many girls lack. Many of these girls reach some highs and then settle with what comes after it but she keeps pushing and try to better herself in terms of writing and sucess and doesn't settle for less. And also helps she keeps her fan fed and actually shows she cares for them.

Great songwriting, amazing branding and marketing, and a ton of ambition and drive. Literally no other artist is as driven and workaholic as her. The only one that is (kind of) never not working is Weeknd

25 minutes ago, Aristide said:

Straight men do not listen to Taylor Swift. Yes maybe she has some gay fans here and there but her success is entirely attributed to the straight white women audience.

Any survey you take , Taylor will always have the highest % of straight male listening to her

Don't know where this myth came from

Just because some mpg don't have straight male fanbase doesn't mean she is same

6 minutes ago, Alex21kw said:

Great songwriting, amazing branding and marketing, and a ton of ambition and drive. Literally no other artist is as driven and workaholic as her. The only one that is (kind of) never not working is Weeknd

And Ed Sheeran after seeing that latest thread in the Music section :rip:

4 hours ago, *-ChriZ-* said:

Her beauty is average

ARFaJO9.gif

Her songwriting is good to basic

ARFaJO9.gif

Her vocals are beyond average

ARFaJO9.gif

Her shows are average

ARFaJO9.gif

Those who claim her success is only because of privilege or basicness have never been able to explain why when there are thousands of basic white girls with rich dads who have tried to enter the music industry, only she was able to become biggest female artist of all time while the rest all flopped.

Like no one has ever denied that her family having money helped her situation, but if it was the only reason we would see hundreds of Laikynns and Braeleighs topping the charts :skull: 

26 minutes ago, Klein said:

Studies show that this is factually false. 

https://resources.audiense.com/blog/taylor-swift-red-album-success-what-you-can-learn 

this one was published around the time of the release of Red TV, and shows that her audience was 55% female and 45% male. 

I also can't find the link to the one that was very recently published and discussed on this forum that showed her audience was 52% female and 48% male. 

Yeah Taylor really does have a lot of straight male fans (in the US). I think the people who say this aren't American so it might sound silly to them that straight men would listen to her, since I think there's less straight Swifties internationally. My office's Teams has a Swiftie channel (yes it's a bit cringe) and there are more than a few men over 30 at my company with wives who are genuine fans of her music. It's definitely not on the same adoration or connection level as women or gays, like they wouldn't go buy a merch t-shirt unless their wife did too or something. But they do listen to her and generally enjoy her.

Are y'all gonna make a new "Taylor Swift is annoying and overrated" thread every day till the tour ends? 

She’s basic and easily digestible. Her “controversy” in her career is incredibly non-controversial compared to other stars. She’s very calculated in her image and music. She never tries to rock the boat with anything so she never alienated any part of the public. 

She’s the epitome of basic white girl and she embraces it and basic white girls have always been popular.

Katy Perry was in the same realm but she tried too hard to not be basic and it completely killed her image and appeal. Taylor excels at sitting and eating her food and it’s paid off

1 hour ago, Aristide said:

I can find you dozens of anecdotal tweets, videos, and pictures that prove otherwise but I’ll start here: 

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRvJ9DRN/

Listen to the way he talks about her. That is a common level of respect and admiration that straight men hold for her. I’m not saying straight men are her primary or even secondary target audience, but ever since folklore and evermore there’s been a lot more of them publicly vouching for their love of her music. If you really want me to sift through a lot more evidence I will, but something tells me you’re not really an open minded person looking to have a discussion that could potentially change your opinion. 

1 hour ago, Planet Mars said:

Are y'all gonna make a new "Taylor Swift is annoying and overrated" thread every day till the tour ends? 

You know that's not what the title was implying. I like Taylor and it was a genuine question

18 hours ago, Cruel Summer said:

She is first and foremost a songwriter recognized for her skill and talent in that field since she was still a child. Her catalog is full of albums and songs recognized for not just their songwriting quality, but especially for their ability to speak to the universal experiences of millions of young people throughout the world. Through that confessional songwriting, she forged an incredibly strong bond with her fanbase that I would argue is different from some of the other artist-fanbase relationships we see in the modern music market. Throughout all of this, she has demonstrated exceptional skill as a businesswoman and it's clear that she is to at least some extent more motivated by success than some other music stars. She wants it, and she works hard for it, and she's really not ashamed to admit those things (I'm sure many people have heard the story about doing 1989 in part because Red lost AOTY, or seen the clip of how she felt about Reputation's lack of nominations). When you have skill and talent, create excellent material, cultivate a loyal fanbase, and deftly maintain the status of your brand as a business - that's the perfect recipe for success.

There are, of course, areas where some might think she falls short: certain elements of live performance and not being born with the same vocal talents as some other incredible women in music. Those perceived shortcomings simply fall by the wayside and no longer matter when you have the other things. And we should mention that of course it's no small thing that she has intentionally kept her brand relatively modest, or that she benefits from white privilege and from other societal structures that not everyone has in life - these are all ingredients in the recipe, some that she can control and some that she can't. But the dismissal of her success by attributing it solely to her being a "safe" white American girl is shortsighted; there are thousands of such artists who never make it a tenth as far as Taylor has. Some element of that must be attributed to her abilities and to her ambition and work ethic.

So glad this post made first page because it explains it perfectly 

atrls constant fixation to diminsh her unique success because she is white is so tiring

Let's look at reality. 13 percent of America is black, and guess what. 13 percent of Taylor fans are black. So what? She can't help being white. It's the way she was born. The point is that she has the average American in her fan base. So, think about the stats next time you call Taylor Vanilla or white. And using the word 'mediocre' is your go-to word, but do you know what that word means? No one can be both mediocre and on top of the mountain simultaneously; if that were true, then there would be a lot of other white pop stars on that mountain with her. 

I like a single or two, but listening to a full album of Taylor Swift is such a chore. It's dull and boring and way too long. It doesn't help that every song sounds the same. I don't get it either. I tried really hard to get into her because of 1989 and Reputation, but something just isn't clicking.

Edited by Monday Night Messiah

You might as well ask why ALL your favorites were or are massive.

I think she's smart and ambitious but of course it also helps that she appeals to the biggest, most loyal audience in pop (straight white girls).

Edited by Aristide

People saying because she’s inoffensive and white, if that were to be the case every inoffensive and white woman would be as successful.

The real answer is her TABS.

K bye for now, Sunshine. <3

She's mediocre, aware of it and knows how to capitalize on it to all the mediocres who see themselves on her, which is a lot of people

She knew how to turn her fanbase into a cult rather than focus on the general public. It's a dangerous move but she worked well to keep the interest going.

Also her main demographic is made of single white girls and that crowd tends to be very loyal unlike the gays or the general public

Massive loyal fans, relatable songs, good marketing strategies, talent, catchy songs, etc.

On 3/21/2023 at 12:55 PM, Bang Up said:

Why do people act like it's hard to understand why people like Taylor Swift? She's not my cup of tea, but I totally get it. One listen to her discography and it becomes quite clear why millions of other white women relate to her. She solidified a dedicated fanbase very early on in her career and many of the people who love her now loved her 17 years ago and have grown with her. She writes about things that most people like her can relate to. She doesn't use convoluted metaphors, she doesn't try to be "different" or "outside the box". She's just her. She sells herself very, very well and she is above all else "basic". And I don't mean "basic" in a mean or bad way necessarily, I just mean that she's very easy to relate to. She has crafted her image to be safe and to be the "relatable girl next door" and it has worked. She tells stories in her music that people can relate to and can sing along to. The people who love her love HER more than anything else, which is exactly why they can watch her walk back and forth on stage for three hours and be mesmerized. It's about her as a person and her music more than anything else. And tbh, that's impressive. Not many artists can say they succeed on music alone.

Like, this isn't rocket science.

On 3/21/2023 at 1:04 PM, Badgalbriel said:

Yep, this is a pretty good take on it. We love her for her and for her music.

In the immortal words of Delicate, “you must like me for me.”

And “ME!” heee heeeeee, hooo hoooo!

We sure do love her. The things we honestly tolerate though :rip: ME! needs to be unwritten and erased from history.

On 3/22/2023 at 9:05 PM, The_Bling said:

She's mediocre, aware of it and knows how to capitalize on it to all the mediocres who see themselves on her, which is a lot of people

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.