Why is Taylor Swift so massive?

Habibro

Because white girls are getting dumped left and right so they crave relatedness 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Badgalbriel

• PoisonedIvy

• Aristide

• The Music Industry

1 minute ago, WeFoundTrouble said:

People saying she’s an inoffensive white woman, as if there aren’t dozens of those women in the industry.

Norah Jones

Norah Jones, as in, Geethali Norah Jones Shankar? Daughter of Ravi Shankar?

14 minutes ago, WeFoundTrouble said:

People saying she’s an inoffensive white woman, as if there aren’t dozens of those women in the industry. Julia Michaels, Colbie Caillat, Norah Jones, etc all scored a hit era or two, a hit single here and there, but never reached global heights or toured monstrously in the way Taylor has been able to.

Taylor’s success is not just her inoffensiveness but her strategic reinventions. As much as y’all think her music sounds the same, it’s the complete opposite. Like others in here have said, there’s something in her catalogue for everyone, from the gays who stan reputation to the white girls who LOVE to love Lover, to the Filipino swifties with nostalgia for Fearless era, to the bro-rock/indie dads who respect the folklore & evermore eras. 

Other “inoffensive” girls have nothing else going for them. Taylor and her team have managed every career shift wonderfully. Her marketing and business sensibilities are on point.

Norah Jones isn’t white sis :rip:

I don’t really get the magnitude of her success, but it is what it is. The most successful artists have always came off a bit bland to me if I’m honest (Barbra Streisand, Taylor Swift, The Beatles, Garth Brooks) the exception seems to be Madonna up until the late 00’s. 

11 minutes ago, More Than A Melody said:

Norah Jones, as in, Geethali Norah Jones Shankar? Daughter of Ravi Shankar?

4 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Norah Jones isn’t white sis :rip:

Sorry I meant Susan Boyle, I get them mixed up because they both randomly had one MASSIVE album in the 2000s :rip: 

28 minutes ago, Buffy said:

Ok

I don't know what are you trying to prove with this? Are you implying that Look what you made me do was risky? a song that has a chorus that samples a huge hit from the past? that's like the easiest way go get a hit nowadays.

57 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

She is first and foremost a songwriter recognized for her skill and talent in that field since she was still a child. Her catalog is full of albums and songs recognized for not just their songwriting quality, but especially for their ability to speak to the universal experiences of millions of young people throughout the world. Through that confessional songwriting, she forged an incredibly strong bond with her fanbase that I would argue is different from some of the other artist-fanbase relationships we see in the modern music market. Throughout all of this, she has demonstrated exceptional skill as a businesswoman and it's clear that she is to at least some extent more motivated by success than some other music stars. She wants it, and she works hard for it, and she's really not ashamed to admit those things (I'm sure many people have heard the story about doing 1989 in part because Red lost AOTY, or seen the clip of how she felt about Reputation's lack of nominations). When you have skill and talent, create excellent material, cultivate a loyal fanbase, and deftly maintain the status of your brand as a business - that's the perfect recipe for success.

There are, of course, areas where some might think she falls short: certain elements of live performance and not being born with the same vocal talents as some other incredible women in music. Those perceived shortcomings simply fall by the wayside and no longer matter when you have the other things. And we should mention that of course it's no small thing that she has intentionally kept her brand relatively modest, or that she benefits from white privilege and from other societal structures that not everyone has in life - these are all ingredients in the recipe, some that she can control and some that she can't. But the dismissal of her success by attributing it solely to her being a "safe" white American girl is shortsighted; there are thousands of such artists who never make it a tenth as far as Taylor has. Some element of that must be attributed to her abilities and to her ambition and work ethic.

You always spill :clap3:

Love the part about success being a drive for her. Haters think we as fans dismiss that but we know that to be true. And we love that shes obsessed with success. 

Why do u think Madonna is biggest female artist of all time and was still smashing 10 albums in? 

Look at Drake, The Weeknd and Ed Sheeran those men are highly driven by success too. And no one says anything about that. As they shouldnt cuz there is nothing wrong with being highly ambitious. 

37 minutes ago, More Than A Melody said:

She's conventionally pretty, inoffensive, knows how to market herself, and isn't terrible at any part of being a musician, while excelling in songwriting and fan connection.

Why are you being nice suddenly? Has someone hacked your account?

Because she has the talent and she puts the work. She is not a lazy settler and she doesn't need to purchase songs and albums from actual songwriters, so she always has creative control and knows what to do and when. That's why she always bounces back after a misstep.

The general people just have subpar taste. Look at her and Adele.

Edited by duybeeGAshantiGA

59 minutes ago, Rv1709 said:

She’s relatable to the GP ie average singer. So anyone can sing her songs 

This. People wouldn’t like her if she could sing or if her lyrics weren’t inane. Her lack of talent (relative to the rest of the music market, that is) or really any outstanding qualities or features is actually her main selling point. Her fans think “she’s just like me,” because, well, she is.

15 minutes ago, JawBreaker said:

You always spill :clap3:

Love the part about success being a drive for her. Haters think we as fans dismiss that but we know that to be true. And we love that shes obsessed with success. 

Why do u think Madonna is biggest female artist of all time and was still smashing 10 albums in? 

Look at Drake, The Weeknd and Ed Sheeran those men are highly driven by success too. And no one says anything about that. As they shouldnt cuz there is nothing wrong with being highly ambitious. 

Why are you being nice suddenly? Has someone hacked your account?

I'm being fair. I always was. I can not like her and still find merit in her songwriting, and thinking anyone who's made it as massive as her is a bad musician is conceited. The rest is not even close to being in contention

Ricky Wilson

I would like to know too

Her music is mid, her quinceanera lyrics basic and voice below average

If she was so mediocre and inoffensive why doesn't everyone do what she does?

Cause she's that girl and always will be

43 minutes ago, WeFoundTrouble said:

People saying she’s an inoffensive white woman, as if there aren’t dozens of those women in the industry. Julia Michaels, Colbie Caillat, Norah Jones, etc all scored a hit era or two, a hit single here and there, but never reached global heights or toured monstrously in the way Taylor has been able to.

Taylor’s success is not just her inoffensiveness but her strategic reinventions. As much as y’all think her music sounds the same, it’s the complete opposite. Like others in here have said, there’s something in her catalogue for everyone, from the gays who stan reputation to the white girls who LOVE to love Lover, to the Filipino swifties with nostalgia for Fearless era, to the bro-rock/indie dads who respect the folklore & evermore eras. 

Other “inoffensive” girls have nothing else going for them. Taylor and her team have managed every career shift wonderfully. Her marketing and business sensibilities are on point.

Like you must be deaf to think Taylor Swift debut sound like 1989 sound like folklore.

The way she keep changing sound, not drastically but slowly and surely is what made us grow up with her music. For most other artists i love, i usually stan for some of their earlier albums and then that feeling fade away cause they are just doing the same stuff or their musical change is not the tea and im becoming their casual listener only. Taylor not making the same albums but all still have the essential Taylor`s writing are what keep me interested as a die-hard fan since 2008.

And the "white girls" comment in here have racial undertone lol. Now we just gonna ignore her die-hard fanbase in Asia just like that lol. 

Shes great song writer, beautiful and is likeable and im amazed how big she got too tbh. When I saw her with love story I knew she get far but never would think she became this successful 

Im even more mad I completely missed her concert back in 2015/2016 bc now it be impossible to get tickets.

Like I had front row and everything but I forgot the friggen day :redface:

2 hours ago, Habibro said:

Well what about Girls like Katy or Gaga that were pretty well liked by the GP

When was the last time that Katy was actually well liked by the GP? Neither is Gaga.

littlebodybigheart

trying to throw all kinds of shade in here but i love how nobody is questioning the fact that she’s massive :clap3: as long as we all agree on that :clap3:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.