The Weeknd is officially the world's most popular artist, according to Guinness WR

Montreal

littlebodybigheart
4 minutes ago, Yuanyu said:

What I see is that he's the artists with most monthly listeners on Spotify 

this

How is most monthly listeners on Spotify = most popular artist in the world?

He only got those monthly listeners thanks to autoplay. That horrendous remix terrorised my spotify and there was no way to stop it. Did they mention this in the “statistics” :redface:

Monthly listeners are all about playlisting so it’s kind of a useless statistic. He’s definitely the most popular male artist rn though. I would say Taylor is right now and before that it was Adele. 

4 minutes ago, Sscorpionn said:

Monthly listeners are all about playlisting so it’s kind of a useless statistic. He’s definitely the most popular male artist rn though. I would say Taylor is right now and before that it was Adele. 

you spilled

i think its actually taylor swift 

The most playlist payolad artist in the world too

Global King of Pop! Thank you How Do I Make You Love Me?

SBEBwgh.thumb.gif.d2123482f29d5316044a49

57 minutes ago, Orsay said:

Do we have any idea how Spotify even calculates that number

People who listen to said artist in a month..

It’s deserved I think. But the Die For You remix with Ariana was a disappointment, and made me like the song less, when DFY was my favorite on Starboy. 

of course, the stans of certain local acts started fuming, as if we didn't know that Blinding Lights is bigger than their entire career.
anyways, king we know it :sistrens:

SBEBwgh.thumb.gif.d2123482f29d5316044a49

1 hour ago, Orsay said:

Do we have any idea how Spotify even calculates that number

It's simply the number of individual users that listened to at least 1 song (collaborations included) of the artist in the last 28 days. 

Edited by Klein

It’s either him or Taylor

But honestly I think blinding lights was so so big the last few years globally that he has definitely reached more people.

Edited by Trent W

35 minutes ago, Distantconstellation said:

That would be Sabrina Carpenter, whose payola was good enough to milk out a half-hit.

Abel scored 2 Top 3 hits (including a #1) with a 6-year-old song and a cover of a 2004 song. His success is legitimate, and not a result of payola.

Do Spotify Monthly Listeners only count for lead and co-leads, or also if an artist features on a song ?

But ATRL said monthly listeners were irrelevant. Truly in a bubble :lmao: 

31 minutes ago, ariananext said:

People who listen to said artist in a month..

12 minutes ago, Klein said:

It's simply the number of individual users that listened to at least 1 song (collaborations included) of the artist in the last 28 days. 

ohp :) well it still doesn't reflect overall consumption and idg how a spotify record = "most popular artist in the world" since there are obviously tons of other streaming services esp if we're talking globally

10 minutes ago, Orsay said:

ohp :) well it still doesn't reflect overall consumption and idg how a spotify record = "most popular artist in the world" since there are obviously tons of other streaming services esp if we're talking globally

Oh I definitely don't think "most monthly listener" = "most popular artist". 

It's a cute statistic, but it doesn't say that much about an artist's true popularity. All you need is a hit song, heavy playlisting or a  big event to rack up monthly listeners.

I do think that a stable amount of monthly listeners is reflective of a strong popularity though.

Edited by Klein

1 hour ago, Distantconstellation said:

His second name should be Payola

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.