Why Has Nicki’s Greatest Hits Album Been So Unstable?

wehavetostan

• ATRL Moderator

The first greatest hits album by Nicki, Queen Radio: Volume 1, has had an unstable chart run since it’s release. It was released in late August, and debuted at #10 on the Billboard 200. It performed pretty well until Christmas, and since then, unexpectedly increases 80 positions on the charts, and then goes down again. Why is it’s charting trajectory so unstable?

Here is the album’s charting timeline since release (so far):

10-20-16-30-21-36-34-50-96-103-164-OUT-OUT-OUT-59-122-83-139-33-39-33 -88-101-95-99-110-46-94

This is probably a result of stream and track equivalent units being attributed to the best selling album on which the song appears; the same thing happens with The Weeknd and his album The Highlights. When the original album for a particular song sells more that week, that album spikes on the BB200 and The Highlights drops.

Aren't greatest hits albums sometimes done in by the OG albums? I think The Weeknd's GH album and Starboy have had a similar situation that's happened 

Edited by Blue Monday

It depends on how much it sells compared to her other albums. The is this weird Billboard rule.

If Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded sells more in a week than the GH album, all the streams of Starships and Pound The Alarm for that week count for PFRR.

If GH sells more the following week, the streams of Starships and Pound The Alarm for that week count for GH. It goes the same for her other studio albums, hence causing massive fluctuations for the GH album.

The Weeknd has the same issue with his Greatest Hits.

All the logic in this thread has me thinking I wasn’t on ATRL for a second :rip:

4 minutes ago, WeFoundTrouble said:

All the logic in this thread has me thinking I wasn’t on ATRL for a second :rip:

:skull: 

Not what I was expecting either lol

7 minutes ago, WeFoundTrouble said:

we love growth :clap3: 

9 minutes ago, WeFoundTrouble said:

:ahh:

14 minutes ago, blown away said:

It depends on how much it sells compared to her other albums. The is this weird Billboard rule.

If Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded sells more in a week than the GH album, all the streams of Starships and Pound The Alarm for that week count for PFRR.

If GH sells more the following week, the streams of Starships and Pound The Alarm for that week count for GH. It goes the same for her other studio albums, hence causing massive fluctuations for the GH album.

Weekend fluctuating is shown when original parent album move up, and GH tumbles down. 

Nicki has no other album charting, meaning GH have been best selling album during all its chart run. 

• ATRL Moderator
21 minutes ago, blown away said:

Oh wow, that’s an odd and interesting rule. Thank you (and everyone who replied) for explaining!

5 minutes ago, zoldyck said:

Weekend fluctuating is shown when original parent album move up, and GH tumbles down. 

Nicki has no other album charting, meaning GH have been best selling album during all its chart run. 

One of her other albums can receive the streams in a week where it sells more than the GH but still not chart. The GH can stay charting (but likely drop) because it's still getting streams from the other songs not from that aforementioned studio album. (i.e. Pink Friday sells 500 copies and GH sells 450, all PF single streams go to the parent album but that still may not be enough for it to chart, we would only see the GH drop on the BB200.)

1 minute ago, Royal Culture said:

One of her other albums can receive the streams in a week where it sells more than the GH but still not chart. The GH can stay charting (but likely drop) because it's still getting streams from the other songs not from that aforementioned studio album. (i.e. Pink Friday sells 500 copies and GH sells 450, all PF single streams go to the parent album but that still may not be enough for it to chart, we would only see the GH drop on the BB200.)

You beat me to it :-*

2 minutes ago, wehavetostan said:

Oh wow, that’s an odd and interesting rule. Thank you (and everyone who replied) for explaining!

You're welcome :heart2:

I didn’t know she had a compilation out :rip:

poor-to-non-existent marketing + “this one’s for the barbs” bs probably

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.