Joy Ride (2023) | Now playing in theaters| 92% on RT

genetic fail

They are dragging that man :dies: of course Jesus revolution is his #3 best film of the year so far

3 hours ago, fridayteenage said:

this loser hating it for not worshipping white men makes me even more hopeful its excellence will prevail:

The ratio. :deadbanana4:

9 hours ago, fridayteenage said:

this loser hating it for not worshipping white men makes me even more hopeful its excellence will prevail:

"Targets wild people" is the wildest set of words to come out of a critic's mouth :bibliahh:

• Confused 1

not the emily in paris annoying actress :dancehall3:

looks cute tho

The movie was good. I hated the trailer but the final result is better than that at least.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Johnny Jacobs said:

looks cute tho

correct, she is not annoying.

she is the tony and grammy nominated excellent actress who is on emily in paris.

• Like 2

On 7/6/2023 at 6:25 AM, Johnny Jacobs said:

looks cute tho

she is most definitely not annoying.

enjoyed the societal commentary and it was surprisingly grounded. loved the emotional final act. plenty of funny moments.

the overreliance on crude/sex jokes is unfortunate because it didn't strike the right balance with me. other comedies in the same vein did a better job.

On 7/6/2023 at 3:25 PM, Johnny Jacobs said:

looks cute tho

she carried the movie

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator

I’m beyond perched to watch this. I just know it’s going to have me in stitches :wanda:

When does this release in Europe/U.K.?

B- Cinemascore compared to B+ for No Hard Feelings... not so hot. 

Edited by Kylizzle

9 hours ago, Peroxide said:

When does this release in Europe/U.K.?

UK is August 4.

1 hour ago, Kylizzle said:

not surprised, like I said above it didn't strike the right balance and went a bit overload, so it was bound to put some people off

B- is still good for crude comedies but honestly they could've easily gotten an A considering it pull at one's heartstrings

Loved this! The perfect mixture of comedy and heart.  The K-Pop scene is much funnier in the movie than the trailer :ahh: Ashley Park is having a great year with this,  Beef, and Emily In Paris. Stephanie Hsu was of course great,  and Sherry Cola was hilarious too.

Hopefully it won't be another 30 years before Hollywood gives us another asian female ensemble.

What Joy title will be next? 

• 3 weeks later...

This, no hard feelings and the blackening it's really the return of the r rated comedies renaissance and I'm here for it

On 7/8/2023 at 12:46 AM, Kylizzle said:

Sounds like xenophobia me thinks, NHF was good and funny but it felt very uninspired and a typical American comedy; Joy Ride was unapologetically Asian and R-rated with a lot of sex jokes yes but also a touching plot about cultural roots and a nice message about friendship and I found me laughing more with this that NHF and the dumb side characters of JLaw characters and the dumb dads of the kid. I would have put:

NHF - B

Joy Ride - B+

And Ashley Park was so amazing here and I’m so happy that she had a vehicle to shine for herself and also Stephanie Hsu after EEAAO, love to see it for them.

I thought this was okay some parts were really funny 

I watched this last night and… sorry but this is one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen :skull:

None of the jokes were landing (except the Splinter one that was funny), the acting was very subpar, the sensitive plotlines (being adopted, internalized racism, being on the spectrum) were handled extremely carelessly. The emotional bits were just forced. It felt like a 14 yo wrote this and I felt that the actresses deserved way better material 

I was really shocked to see the audience and critics score afterwards 

13 hours ago, Cain said:

I watched this last night and… sorry but this is one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen :skull:

None of the jokes were landing (except the Splinter one that was funny), the acting was very subpar, the sensitive plotlines (being adopted, internalized racism, being on the spectrum) were handled extremely carelessly. The emotional bits were just forced. It felt like a 14 yo wrote this and I felt that the actresses deserved way better material 

I was really shocked to see the audience and critics score afterwards 

677286433_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1).gif.c38

I'm sorry that the us rejected asian excellence so hard.

Seeing asian women center a Hollywood movie was too much for them to handle.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.