All of Us Strangers | Gay Drama | Paul Mescal, Andrew Scott | Dec 22 | 96% RT, 90 MC

Gossip_Boy

53 minutes ago, Hobbes said:

I really wanted to enjoy this but it took the direction I dreaded it would. Can’t we have a happy ending for once?

It did, in a way. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gossip_Boy

• Lovett

• kandicha

• Mr. Loco

Just left the cinema and I could not stop crying. I related to so many things, the moments between the two main characters especially felt so real they were almost intrusive to me. And even though I always had a great relationship with my parents I've been thinking often about them passing away as they are getting older and not seeing them much (I live in a different country).

Everything about the movie broke me :sosad:

Spoiler

I'm seeing a lot of comments asking if it's a ghost story, I don't think so, I think it's just Adam writing his memories and re-imaging events.

He says he's a screenwriter and the movie kinda opens with him opening a box with his parents' pictures, probably reigniting his imagination.

I think he works through the grief with his parents through the writing and feels like he can move on and let Harry in so he goes to his apartment and finds him dead cause he rejected him in the first scene.

Thoughts?

Edited by toy soldier.

Such a beautiful and emotional movie. Acting and writing was so good.

Spoiler

The scenes are so well acted and good, him coming out to his mom was so well done. His talk with his dad, his dad apologizing and also saying he’d probably be one of the boys bullying him and he had to reconcile with that. Him in bed with his mom dialogue with it ending with him shaking his head saying he’s not OK. The American style restaurante scene was heartbreaking.

Harry saying why didn’t anyone find me and Adam comforting him it was all so good. It was also so emotional, a lot of relatable things. 

I do wish he had a happier ending, but was a solid movie.

On 2/18/2024 at 6:54 PM, toy soldier. said:
Just left the cinema and I could not stop crying. I related to so many things, the moments between the two main characters especially felt so real they were almost intrusive to me. And even though I always had a great relationship with my parents I've been thinking often about them passing away as they are getting older and not seeing them much (I live in a different country).

Hide contents

I'm seeing a lot of comments asking if it's a ghost story, I don't think so, I think it's just Adam writing his memories and re-imaging events.

He says he's a screenwriter and the movie kinda opens with him opening a box with his parents' pictures, probably reigniting his imagination.

I think he works through the grief with his parents through the writing and feels like he can move on and let Harry in so he goes to his apartment and finds him dead cause he rejected him in the first scene.

Thoughts?

Spoiler

That’s my read too, he was fantasizing about his parents and processing his grief, while he was also thinking about what if he had let Harry in.

• Like 2

I went into this with literally no context and assumed it would be a cute gay romance film. Well... :toofunny2:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, glitch said:

I went into this with literally no context and assumed it would be a cute gay romance film. Well... :toofunny2:

Same :skull:

Just watched this on Hulu and I’m devastated. Even though it was nearly two hours, I wanted more. :cries:

All four actors were amazing. 

Help. Just finished this. 😭😭😭

i watched this in theaters, cried there, i just rewatched this on hulu, cried again :snowball:

i think it's my personal #1 movie of the year.

• Like 2

So I just read spoliers before seeing the film on Monday. :ace: Still can’t wait to watch it.

The movie debuts at #10 on Hulu in the US today :clap3:

Watched the movie a third movie and the story still hits deep along with the music :jonny5:

Such a beautiful, beautiful movie. This and Past Lives deserved much more this award season

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2024 at 3:09 AM, HonourableVomit said:

Yes, there's continual references to him being ill through the movie. 

Wow I missed that =/

Everything about this is :cries:. From brilliant acting to poignant music and scenery is breathtaking. Literally can’t stop thinking about it while crying in my bed.

Edited by M.R.
  • Like 2

On 2/18/2024 at 12:54 PM, toy soldier. said:

Hide contents

Thoughts?

Spoiler

Yeah I too feel that same way. He is piecing together all of these from dreams and memories and its moving across all these from reality.  So in a sense, the ghost story is within his reality. Overall though think the director leaves that ambiguous for the viewers to have their own interpretation, whichever makes sense to the viewer. But the blurred reality is more intriguing to me, like Mulholland Drive and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, because it has so many layers.

• Like 1

the editing in this movie was genuinely unbelieveable, and added such an extra layer of tension and emotion throughout. absolutely loved each emotional beat with his parents, and the ultimate twist at the end.

i was so affected by scott's performance in particular, though everyone is fantastic. i hope mescal is great in gladiator 2 because he deserves to be more well known. both this and aftersun...holy hell.

The restaurant scene… and the twist at the end…

This broke me, I cried so much. Fantastic film, I love the acting so much. Andrew Scott, Paul Mescal, Jamie Bell and Claire Foy should have been award contenders. I can’t stop praising the movie, it’s too good and too painful.

The music too, brilliant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh my gosh… I just finished this and I’m not okay :chick3:

It was so emotional all around. I started crying around the 30 mins mark and never stopped until the end. 

The restaurant scene is so candid and beautiful. I think this goes straight into one of my favorite movies of all time. Just amazing. 

• Like 3

"Why did nobody find me?"

😢😢

On 2/29/2024 at 7:33 PM, harwee said:

"Why did nobody find me?"

😢😢

That line alone was so powerful and had me crying for hours after the film ended :weeps:

are we still doing gay dramas? is this 2012?

bring on the gay villains please.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 4

Watched this on Hulu a few days ago and loved it so much I went to catch it at the theater last night. Think I loved it even more the second time around.

This has to be one of the most profoundly empathetic and affecting films I have ever watched. It captures familial trauma, its resulting alienation, and the power of genuine human connection in a way I'm not sure I’ve ever seen before. Tonally flawless, perfect soundtrack, and all of the actors NAILED the emotional complexity of this story. Instant all-time favorite for me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, BeachRat said:

are we still doing gay dramas? is this 2012?

bring on the gay villains please.

We never had such impactful gay drama in 2012 like this one

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.