Best Drama: Origin
Best Comedy: American Fiction
Best Musical: The Color Purple
Best Director: Ava DuVernay – Origin
Best Screenplay: American Fiction
Best Actor: Colman Domingo – Rustin
Best Actress: Aunjanue Ellis-Taylor – Origin
Best Supporting Actor: Sterling K. Brown – American Fiction
Best Supporting Actress: *TIE* Danielle Brooks – The Color Purple & Da’Vine Joy Randolph – The Holdovers
Best Ensemble: The Color Purple
Breakout Performance: Lily Gladstone – Killers of the Flower Moon
Emerging Filmmaker: Cord Jefferson – American Fiction
Best Independent Feature: A Thousand and One
Best Animated Feature: Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
Best Documentary: Stamped from the Beginning
Best Music: The Color Purple
Best International Film: Io Capitano
Best Short Film: The After

• Thanks 1

Emmy's tonight, no rest for the awards girls :gaycat4:

I would love a surprise Rachel McAdams nom in BSA. It's the most boring category because DaVine is winning and the other four nominees are just a guessing game at this point. Danielle + Emily are locks I believe. I would love Rachel and Jodie to round out the top 5. Julianne Moore or Sandra Huller may have a bigger chance than Rachel though.

Music City (Nashville) Film Critics Association Awards Winners:

Spoiler

Best Picture: Oppenheimer

Best Director: Christopher Nolan – Oppenheimer

Best Actress: Emma Stone – Poor Things

Best Actor: Paul Giamatti – The Holdovers

Best Supporting Actress: Da’Vine Joy Randolph – The Holdovers

Best Supporting Actor: Robert Downey Jr. – Oppenheimer

Best Young Actress: Abby Ryder Fortson – Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret.

Best Young Actor: Dominic Sessa – The Holdovers

Best Acting Ensemble: Killers of the Flower Moon

Best Music Film: Maestro

Best Animated Film: Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

Best Documentary: Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie

Best International Film: Godzilla Minus One

Best Screenplay: The Holdovers

Best Original Song (TIE): “I’m Just Ken” – Barbie and “What Was I Made For?” – Barbie

Best Score: Oppenheimer

Best Sound: Oppenheimer

Best Cinematography: Oppenheimer

Best Production Design (TIE): Barbie and Poor Things

Best Editing: Oppenheimer

Best Comedy Film: Barbie

Best Horror Film: Talk to Me

Best Action Film (TIE): Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves and Mission: Impossible Dead Reckoning: Part One

Best Stunt Work: John Wick: Chapter 4

The Jim Ridley Award: Poor Things

15 hours ago, EnigmaticAndroid said:

The Gladstone/Yeoh comparisons crumble when you look at the fact that:

1. Yeoh was an extremely respected industry veteran who had been snubbed before AND built up a sense that she deserved a moment of recognition

2. She was the indisputable lead of EEAAO with a showy role, not the 3rd most important character who looks around and reacts for most of the film

3. Her film completely swept and she was partially carried to a win. She wasn't fighting to be the sole win of her film.

Yeah the only thing they have in common is that they’re both women of colour, but people overestimate how much Yeoh’s narrative helped her win.

If she had Gladstone’s profile and a weaker film I doubt she would’ve beaten Blanchett. 

Still, the BFCAs are a joke and don’t mean much. Stone will probably win the BAFTA and Gladstone could still win with SAG and then the Oscar. 

15 hours ago, fridayteenage said:

yeah, in recent years scorsese's had:

0x winner irishman

0x winner silence

0x winner wolf of wall street

in fact, in the last 30 years the only acting winner scorsese's had was...Blanchett. so if Lily won she would join Blanchett.

Mess, didn’t know it was that bad :skull: 

It has been known for years that Oscars throw tons of noms at Scorsese movies, but they almost never win, since you also need voters to love ur work and not just respect it

29 minutes ago, CaptainMusic said:

Yeah the only thing they have in common is that they’re both women of colour, but people overestimate how much Yeoh’s narrative helped her win.

Agreed that the Gladstone-Stone dynamic is very different from Yeoh vs Blanchett, but the thing is, the narrative helped her massively and was a prominent talking point in the last two weeks of voting - remember her Instagram post? There's this prevalent hindsight bias even among die-hard GoldDerby commenters that Yeoh's name already was engraved on the statuette before the night started because how EEAAO swept everything. In reality, it was a really tough race for her, nobody could make up their mind about EEAAO's support or if it's a bit too out there for the Academy, and the only lock we knew was Ke Huy Quan. Up until then, Blanchett's performance (hailed as a career-best) won GG, CC, BAFTA, with almost as many critics awards as Yeoh, including LAFCA, NSFC and NYFCC. What really turned the tide for Yeoh was the last weeks with a SAG win and the sudden uproar for the urgency to reward her due to it being seen as as a career-capping achievement and an important first Asian win. 

(Full disclosure: Though I liked Blanchett's performance better and still think that it was the 'best', I ultimately wanted Yeoh to win. Legend Cate is capable of collecting her third sometime later.)

Edited by Liafen

28 minutes ago, IBelonginYourArms said:

It has been known for years that Oscars throw tons of noms at Scorsese movies, but they almost never win, since you also need voters to love ur work and not just respect it

I think it's more that there's no urgency to reward Marty. He's already known as the GOAT and is consistently stellar. People are not surprised by the quality of his output - thus his releases lack real passion. It's a bit like with Meryl

Edited by Liafen
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Liafen said:

Agreed that the Gladstone-Stone dynamic is very different from Yeoh vs Blanchett, but the thing is, the narrative helped her massively and was a prominent talking point in the last two weeks of voting - remember her Instagram post? There's this prevalent hindsight bias even among die-hard GoldDerby commenters that Yeoh's name already was engraved on the statuette before the night started because how EEAAO swept everything. In reality, it was a really tough race for her, nobody could make up their mind about EEAAO's support or if it's a bit too out there for the Academy, and the only lock we knew was Ke Huy Quan. Up until then, Blanchett's performance (hailed as a career-best) won GG, CC, BAFTA, with almost as many critics awards as Yeoh, including LAFCA, NSFC and NYFCC. What really turned the tide for Yeoh was the last weeks with a SAG win and the sudden uproar for the urgency to reward her due to it being seen as as a career-capping achievement and an important first Asian win. 

(Full disclosure: Though I liked Blanchett's performance better and still think that it was the 'best', I ultimately wanted Yeoh to win. Legend Cate is capable of collecting her third sometime later.)

I didn’t say her narrative didn’t help, I said it was overestimated as the ONLY reason she won. Whenever a minority wins something that’s how it always is when there wouldn’t be a need for racial narratives in the first place if white actors didn’t have the clear upper hand :skull: 

White actors are always “undeniable” and the most deserving every single year. :zzz:You can’t win solely based on narrative, if that was the case then Davis, Close, Boseman, etc would’ve won. 

Blanchett simply wasn’t as undeniable as everyone thought she was, the CCs just followed the inaccurate predictions at the time like they did with Portman in 2017 and the BAFTAs are extremely racist so it was no surprise Yeoh lost there - all the acting winners were white and this is the same award show that never nominated Denzel Washington and still has yet to award a WOC in lead. 

EEAAO sweeping without Yeoh would’ve made no sense and in the end voters realised that. Her win was a perfect combination of the narrative, role, film and performance. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, CaptainMusic said:

I didn’t say her narrative didn’t help, I said it was overestimated as the ONLY reason she won. You can’t win solely based on narrative, if that was the case then Davis, Close, Boseman, etc would’ve won. 

Oh yeah, absolutely agreed.

it helped halle berry in her historic win that her main competition was a supporting wife with barely half the screentime of her co-lead (i.e. sissy spacek).

this year, that kind of role is being filled by lily.

like that year, it's likely both films will win 0-1 oscars.

Edited by fridayteenage

Emma winning the awards feels so right, she was amazing in the movie, really one of the best performances I’ve seen recently :clap3:

QueenofCopyPaste

Unpopular opinion

Saltburn >>> Poor Things

• Thumbs Down 1

The big difference between Yeoh and Gladstone is that Yeoh was the core of EEAAO, if you loved the movie, you couldn't without loving her performance as well, all the movie was centered on her character(s) and so performance, her win wasn't about narrative only, there was clearly passion for the movie, whereas Gladstone was basically a supporting character in fuction of the Di Caprio one, clearly this is not the actress fault but more the fact Scorsese did wrong that character that basically disappear in the second half of the movie.

I haven't seen Stone yet, I don't doubt she's amazing, however for how much good she can be, I'm not sure if the Academy is willing to give her a second lead Oscar this soon given she's still young, so this plays in Gladstone's favour, however it's a totally different scenario from last year race.

6 hours ago, QueenofCopyPaste said:

Still hoping for a Sandra Oscar win

Performance, not politics :clap3:>>>

:)

I think it's too late, she needed to win the Globe at least, assuming she could upset a BAFTA, I'm not sure if a BAFTA alone could be enough, I think whoever takes SAG is gonna take the Oscar also this year.

North Dakota Film Critics Society Winners:

Spoiler

Best Picture

OPPENHEIMER
Emma Thomas, Charles Roven, Christopher Nolan
(Universal Pictures)

Best Director

Christopher Nolan
OPPENHEIMER
(Universal Pictures)

Best Actress

Lily Gladstone
KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON
(Apple Original Films)

Best Actor

Cillian Murphy
OPPENHEIMER
(Universal Pictures)

Best Supporting Actress

Da’Vine Joy Randolph
THE HOLDOVERS
(Focus Features)

Best Supporting Actor

Robert Downey Jr.
OPPENHEIMER
(Universal Pictures)

Best Screenplay

ANATOMY OF A FALL
Justine Triet, Arthur Harari
(Neon)

Best Cinematography

OPPENHEIMER
Hoyte van Hoytema
(Universal Pictures)

Best Costume Design

BARBIE
Jacqueline Durran
(Warner Bros.)

Best Film Editing

OPPENHEIMER
Jennifer Lame
(Universal Pictures)

Best Makeup & Hairstyling

BARBIE
Ivana Primorac
(Warner Bros.)

Best Original Score

OPPENHEIMER
Ludwig Göransson
(Universal Pictures)

Best Original Song

BARBIE
”What Was I Made For?”
Billie Eilish, Finneas
(Warner Bros.)

Best Production Design

BARBIE
Sarah Greenwood, Katie Spencer
(Warner Bros.)

Best Sound

OPPENHEIMER
Richard King, Gary A. Rizzo, Kevin O’Connell, Willie Burton
(Universal Pictures)

Best Visual Effects

OPPENHEIMER
Andrew Jackson, Giacomo Mineo, Scott R. Fisher, David Drzewiecki
(Universal Pictures)

Best Animated Feature

SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE
Joaquim Dos Santos, Kemp Powers, Justin K. Thompson, Avi Arad, Phil Lord, Christopher Miller, Amy Pascal, Christina Steinberg
(Sony Pictures)

Best Documentary Feature

20 DAYS IN MARIUPOL
Mstyslav Chernov, Derl McCrudden, Michelle Mizner
(PBS)

Best International Feature

ANATOMY OF A FALL
France
(Neon)

• Thanks 1

Though it indeed plays in Gladstone's favour, the 'willing to give her a second lead Oscar this soon' reasoning is kinda already refuted. Academy voters don't care, see Legend Frances most recently (2nd in '18, 3rd in '21)

3 minutes ago, Leptine said:

I think it's too late, she needed to win the Globe at least, assuming she could upset a BAFTA, I'm not sure if a BAFTA alone could be enough, I think whoever takes SAG is gonna take the Oscar also this year.

I think she's far from winning too but Globes are 1) not industry 2) known starf**kers. She wasn't expected to win there and she's not really hurt by losing. Her base is the European bloc of AMPAS voters. BAFTAs will be a real indicator whether she could upset or not. Would love it if she won at least there!

QueenofCopyPaste

I think SAG would likely be Emma than Lily

there's no passion for killers of the flower moon, its true, but there's passion for gladstone. she's getting long, thunderous standing ovations at every function she goes to which is not the norm by any means. 

21 minutes ago, Liafen said:

I think she's far from winning too but Globes are 1) not industry 2) known starf**kers. She wasn't expected to win there and she's not really hurt by losing. Her base is the European bloc of AMPAS voters. BAFTAs will be a real indicator whether she could upset or not. Would love it if she won at least there!

The Globes in the past have awarded foreign performances see Isabelle Huppert or Marion Cottilard, Gladstone isn't a big star either so it's not that they went the bigger star, a win for Huller with them wouldn't have been that shocking in fact there were people predicting an upset with her and she needed that push since SAG was expecting to snub her.

A BAFTA win alone I'm not sure if it's possible in her case to pull a win, only Frances managed to do that in lead in a very different scenario and position, beloved veteran in a best picture contender.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leptine said:

The Globes in the past have awarded foreign performances see Isabelle Huppert or Marion Cottilard, Gladstone isn't a big star either so it's not that they went the bigger star, a win for Huller with them wouldn't have been that shocking in fact there were people predicting an upset with her and she needed that push since SAG was expecting to snub her.

A BAFTA win alone I'm not sure if it's possible in her case to pull a win, only Frances managed to do that in lead in a very different scenario and position, beloved veteran in a best picture contender.

It wouldn't have been shocking, that's true, it was in the realm of possibility, but it also wasn't an expected win. Everyone already kinda knew Lily would take it. She could've used the visibility of course, but losing there doesn't mean she's done. Days after her loss, she suddenly gained a huge momentum with PGA noms for both Anatomy and Zone. 

With BAFTA, what I'm saying is that there's actually a membership overlap there with AMPAS, and a win could indicate that the British/International bloc stands behind Hüller. I'm not saying it will be enough for her to pull through, but If she doesn't win that, she's out in 99.99% of the possible scenarios come Oscar night.  

1 hour ago, Liafen said:

Though it indeed plays in Gladstone's favour, the 'willing to give her a second lead Oscar this soon' reasoning is kinda already refuted. Academy voters don't care, see Legend Frances most recently (2nd in '18, 3rd in '21)

You can't compare an established veteran like Frances McDormand with +40 years of career and Emma Stone, it took her +20 years to win the second, 2 totally different positions and scenarios.

The last time a young actress pulled a double win in lead with few years of distance is Jodie Foster +30 years ago in a movie that was frontrunner to win best picture and that it was the movie case the year that became an instant cult with a big box office, definitely not the case of Stone.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.