96th Academy Awards | Top Winners: Oppenheimer 7x, Poor Things 4x

WildAmerican

6 hours ago, Donquizote said:

Payne is OUT.

Cillian rises. Imagine the awkwardness if Giamatti won SAG/Oscar and he thanked Payne in his Oscar speech :rip: 

I have a feeling Giamatti might surprise and win the Oscar. He is beloved and it could be seen as overdue moreso than for Cillian who has mostly played supporting or in genre pics (not the Academy's taste) up until now

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hausofdave

• WildAmerican

• Donquizote

• Almodusa

20 minutes ago, MatiRod said:

I have a feeling Giamatti might surprise and win the Oscar. He is beloved and it could be seen as overdue moreso than for Cillian who has mostly played supporting or in genre pics (not the Academy's taste) up until now

I think the Academy will really love Oppenheimer (picture and director) and i mean Cillian is Oppenheimer so he stays stronger. 

And The Holdovers has a kinda of locked winning in the supporting actress so a Major award should be there.

As I already said It's RDJ that could lose Power cause now Barbie can't win screenplay seems more and more like Gosling is the only Major win with the right push could still happen. 

Or Barbie risks to win just for a Song. 

Edited by vale9001

Is "Origin" original or adapted? I thought the latter but Gold Derby has it on original. 

Original is so weak this year it could sneak in if its considered original.

3 hours ago, wesleywalrus said:

Is "Origin" original or adapted? I thought the latter but Gold Derby has it on original. 

Original is so weak this year it could sneak in if its considered original.

It was indeed moved to Adapted a couple of days ago by the Writer’s Branch Executive Committee. Odd that goldderby hasn’t updated it yet.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/oscars-ava-duvernay-origin-script-adapted-screenplay-academy-1235779045/amp/

The fact that Gerwig is not only the first woman to direct a billion-dollar grossing blockbuster, but the biggest cinema event of the last few years that showcased a unique vision (that was also co-penned by her) and was received so well critically (MC 80, RT 88%), only to likely miss out on a Director nom is low-key a crime. Especially after her Little Women snub. If a man had done all this, he'd be at least the 3rd in the running after Nolan and Scorsese, I'll tell you. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Oh and not to mention that it's also in the run for BP, BA, BSA(ctor, sorry Miss Ferrero) and a couple other categories. 

6 hours ago, EnigmaticAndroid said:

I disagree. Joker was Todd Phillips' first attempt at a serious film. He wasn't in the club prior to that film. Gerwig has already been nominated for Lady Bird, therefore being a member of the "club" going into this season.

im talking about Phillips being a dude which automatically made it easier for him plus having a whole euro-centric appeal benefited the film further

3 hours ago, Liafen said:

The fact that Gerwig is not only the first woman to direct a billion-dollar grossing blockbuster, but the biggest cinema event of the last few years that showcased a unique vision (that was also co-penned by her) and was received so well critically (MC 80, RT 88%), only to likely miss out on a Director nom is low-key a crime. Especially after her Little Women snub. If a man had done all this, he'd be at least the 3rd in the running after Nolan and Scorsese, I'll tell you. 

Yeah the tokenism that’s happening in the discussion boards by Oscar pundits is disgusting. “Omg Triet just won Screenplay so that means  Gerwig  is out in  Director!” *** off.

• Haha 1

Some interesting People's Choice Award Nominations:

THE MOVIE PERFORMANCE OF THE YEAR

America Ferrera, Barbie
Charles Melton, May December
Danielle Brooks, The Color Purple
Jacob Elordi, Saltburn
Melissa McCarthy, The Little Mermaid
Natalie Portman, May December
Simu Liu, Barbie
Viola Davis, Air

THE MOVIE OF THE YEAR

Barbie
Fast X
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
Oppenheimer
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
TAYLOR SWIFT | THE ERAS TOUR FILM
The Little Mermaid
The Super Mario Bros. Movie

4 hours ago, Liafen said:

Barbie was just ok-ish. Oscars shouldn’t be a popularity contest.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

4 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Barbie was just ok-ish.

To You GIF - To You GIFs

Two random thoughts:

1) Is American Fiction worth seeing in the theatres? Seems like a film to watch on streaming, but it’s the only Oscar-coded film I haven’t seen that is showing in my area.

2) If you want to watch Rosamund Pike be in her utmost MOTHER form, I highly recommend the series Wheel of Time on Prime Video. It gets hokey at first before it gets deliciously good. The plot is like Game of Thrones and Harry Potter, but with women ruling the world. So many strong female characters. Rosamund is one of the main leads.

Edited by ALittleGauche

10 minutes ago, Liafen said:

To You GIF - To You GIFs

Well yes. I found the film dumb, unfunny, poorly written, and painfully average overall, with a very superficial message. It’s pretty much a mattel advertisement.  Even considering the self-awareness and subversion, it's effectively a toy company trying to humorize and therefore somewhat trivialize their capitalistic exploitation of bodily insecurities for decades with some obligatory ham-fisted commentary on sexism :michael:

I loved Gerwig’s previous works andI went to theater expecting an intelligent, deep, bold, feminist satire and left the theater disappointed because I didn’t get any of that.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

this made me sad

but i don't think the movie's even been released in the US yet? i think it's coming out in a few weeks... a wacky distribution plan that didn't cater to the awards schedule ig 

• Like 2

Elemental and Wish missed. This is the first time ever this category had no Disney or Pixar movie.

On 1/10/2024 at 5:24 PM, vale9001 said:

I still don't get why Emily Blunt gets all these nominations for a very standard and boring 5 minutes role.

I keep forgetting which category she and Carey are in cus they’re just there as checkbox exercise even though I love both. 

12 minutes ago, Hector said:

the CORRECT Supporting Actress winner from last year, i fear...

• Thanks 1

Hopefully people hold the same energy for Aunjanue that they did for Andrea

8 hours ago, Liafen said:

"Endgame" was a two-billion-dollar grossing blockbuster, but the biggest cinema event of the last few years that showcased the clumination of the biggest cinema franchise and was received so well critically (MC 78, RT 94%) and it didn't get any award recognition, so stop making it all about gender. I know Avengers would never get some serious award recognition, but both Barbie and Avengers are based on popular kids franchises, so it's a valid comparision.

Edited by Mr. Loco
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, hausofdave said:

Elemental and Wish missed. This is the first time ever this category had no Disney or Pixar movie.

This wasn't the best year for Disney, but Elemental deserves at least a nom, specially over Ninja Turtles or Suzume

Well Oscar voting begins today :dancehall: Closes next Tuesday the 16th

Just watched Holdovers because of Da'Vine. What a mid movie :skull: I suppose the last 20%-ish was fine. Giammati was great (idk if I'd put him over Cillian tho), Da'Vine was excellent (to me it felt like her part was as substantial as Gladstone's), and I cringed at Sessa's acting for the most part (though he was good in the last fifth).  

20 minutes ago, Mr. Loco said:

"Endgame" was a two-billion-dollar grossing blockbuster, but the biggest cinema event of the last few years that showcased the clumination of the biggest cinema franchise and was received so well critically (MC 78, RT 94%) and it didn't get any award recognition, so stop making it all about gender. I know Avengers would never get some serious award recognition, but both Barbie and Avengers are based on popular kids franchises, so it's a valid comparision.

I know some of y'all have problems with Barbie's easily digestable feminism but you did not just compare a bloated MCU movie to Barbie. :ghostface: It's not a valid comparison by any means. You convenietly skipped over the artistic vision which Endgame just lacks :sorry: What Scorsese said

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.