96th Academy Awards | Top Winners: Oppenheimer 7x, Poor Things 4x

WildAmerican

5 minutes ago, Achilles. said:

I don’t like Downey Jr much and he was fine but unremarkable in Oppenheimer, but I don’t really mind him winning because he’s destined to win one someday and I’d rather he take it now that possibly block someone I actually care about down the line. At least this way he’s saving us from Gosling (a better actor with a worse performance).

I personally wouldn’t nominate either. Sessa ought to be winning alongside his two co-stars. 

sessa is a lead so shouldn't be winning any supporting category

:gaycat1:

• Like 5

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hausofdave

• WildAmerican

• Donquizote

• Almodusa

19 minutes ago, WildAmerican said:

it's sooo serious to the anti-coopy's 

:rip:

Film Twitter is basically all Cillian Murphy (and Christopher Nolan) or bust (Paul Giamatti being the only other alternative they care about). 

Edited by Hector

8 minutes ago, fridayteenage said:

sessa is a lead so shouldn't be winning any supporting category

:gaycat1:

True that!

15 minutes ago, WildAmerican said:

it's sooo serious to the anti-coopy's 

:rip:

There's also the reality that people are doing wayyyyy too much on Bradley. Is the movie mediocre? Yeah. Is he pretty good? For the most part yeah. Carey was a lot better tho and I wish she'd get more love. The last like 20 minutes of that movie had me crying my eyes out :penguin:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eóghan said:

why is Maestro's awards season so overhyped here? 

the movie had okeyish critics and is panned by the general public. 6.7/10 on iMDb is worse than most Netflix movies, and netflix movies are already bad as a whole

Here? It was literally mentioned in all the sites and media outlet predictions the whole season and it has hit all the precursors so far, also 6.7 on IMDB is not "panned", some of you still don't know the definition of being panned, tones of movies who have been awarded in the past are in that score range on IMDB.

I think Bradley made the mistake of allegedly shading Cillian and being the insufferable theater kid-type in general so everyone's out to get him. :skull: 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Komet said:

I'm fine with 'lead -> supporting' fraud if it helps my faves 

I’m lazy so I’ve just stopped complaining and go along with whatever people campaign as. No sense stressing over it, and it keeps my personal lists tidier if they match with the actual award groups.  :michael:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Achilles. said:

I don’t like Downey Jr much and he was fine but unremarkable in Oppenheimer

Couldn't agree more, Hollywood pundits are pushing hard for him coz it's a clear career Oscar. Anyway, I'm rooting for Charles Melton, since his performance is much deeper and better in May December :gaycat2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

BAFTA next for Anatomy screenplay, then Oscars :gaygacat4:

Edited by hausofdave
  • Like 1

Where is this revisionist narrative that RDJ is not good in Oppenheimer? :toofunny3: He's literally leading Critics Awards and managed to get a prestigious NSFC runner-up mention. Be serious lol.

Yeah Ahr Dé Jé kinda ate. He's also helped by the fact that his role is pretty substantial, so as far as career Oscars go, at least this is not a Laura Dern kind of situation. 

• Thanks 1

One of the best things that happened when Oppie won BP Drama is that Emma Thomas got all the spotlight! A legend, glad she got her moment :clap3:Her and Nolan are a powerful duo

Laura Dern in Marriage Story > RDJ in Oppenheimer

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, TheDreamer said:

One of the best things that happened when Oppie won BP Drama is that Emma Thomas got all the spotlight! A legend, glad she got her moment :clap3:Her and Nolan are a powerful duo

Yes I loved this one too!

Also the way they praised each other in the acceptance speeches really strengthened the chances of the individual Oscar wins. Showcasing Emma for that BP push. Emma dedicating a large chunk of her speech to praise hubby Nolan's brilliance. Nolan humbly praising Cillian and RDJ. RDJ smartly referencing how it took Nolan and the ensemble  for Universal to greenlight a heavy drama project about the birth of the atomic bomb which grossed 1bn. Cillian again praising Nolan. 

A very smart, albeit not necessarily coordinated play. A sweep is imminent, methinks.

• Thanks 1

RDJ played Tony Stark with a raspy voice. The glasses didn't help. 

Why is A24 REFUSING to expand Zone of Interest :deadbanana2:

I'm literally on my knees begging to give those b*tches my money and see the movie. I'll drive an hour if I have to. :deadbanana2:

32 minutes ago, EnigmaticAndroid said:

Why is A24 REFUSING to expand Zone of Interest :deadbanana2:

I'm literally on my knees begging to give those b*tches my money and see the movie. I'll drive an hour if I have to. :deadbanana2:

Hmm, 20th Century Women got to 100+ theaters on 1/20/17. A Most Violent Year 1/30/15.

So it should be this month sometime.

• Like 1

Poor Things is still limited ~750-800 theaters showing great comps in dailies, studios are probably waiting till nomination week to expand 

Edited by hausofdave

2 hours ago, Liafen said:

Yes I loved this one too!

Also the way they praised each other in the acceptance speeches really strengthened the chances of the individual Oscar wins. Showcasing Emma for that BP push. Emma dedicating a large chunk of her speech to praise hubby Nolan's brilliance. Nolan humbly praising Cillian and RDJ. RDJ smartly referencing how it took Nolan and the ensemble  for Universal to greenlight a heavy drama project about the birth of the atomic bomb which grossed 1bn. Cillian again praising Nolan. 

A very smart, albeit not necessarily coordinated play. A sweep is imminent, methinks.

Very smart move indeed! It wouldn't have been the same look if Chris spoke for the BP-Drama win. Plus points for the optics! I don't think there will be any significant backlash to this film winning awards moving forward.

The Zone of Interest is excellent and I was surprised how much Sandra is in it. I expected a supporting performance but she felt like a co-lead.

I've yet to see all the movies but so far, the best male performance was absolutely Bradley Cooper.

oVf3NL0.gif

• Like 1

Gold Derby experts are still convinced that Cooper will win in the end :rip: 

We'll see.

7 minutes ago, Donquizote said:

Gold Derby experts are still convinced that Cooper will win in the end :rip: 

We'll see.

A free ride home, perhaps

i don't really care for murphy's performance. he was good but if they wanted to go for a less showy performance this award season i would've preferred teo yoo but that's obviously not happening

• Like 4

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.