96th Academy Awards | Top Winners: Oppenheimer 7x, Poor Things 4x

WildAmerican

1 hour ago, Komet said:

??? Pulling out a racisme! card for what now? Mentioning a popular kids show where they famously address the audience? Being chronically online is rotting yalls brain, please touch grass and gtfo my notifs 

At what point in America's speech does she address the audience? :celestial5: Or are you comparing a Latina actress to Dora the f*cking Explorer for another reason? The way you're so blatant with your racism and then immediately start playing the victim card when you're called out on it.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hausofdave

• WildAmerican

• Donquizote

• Almodusa

3 minutes ago, WildAmerican said:

Ahr Dè Jé might start a sweep this weekend...

Ryan Gosling is going to eat I fear.

11 minutes ago, WildAmerican said:

Ahr Dè Jé might start a sweep this weekend...

Loves it.

44499c05fb5b81a603d7e7dbc00b346e23f9bfeb.jpg

could people stop..."engrish"-ing white people's names because they...think asian names are exotic and funny or whatever the eff this is?

we're not in 1961 with mickey rooney or 1937 with luise rainer.

863176400_JxPHkiL-Imgur.thumb.png.450751

image.thumb.gif.fe71e4714d2dbf948a18b88a

chuck.thumb.gif.124c199be9fb4de6f43661c6

989285272_ezgif.com-gif-maker(8).thumb.g

thank you. 

Edited by fridayteenage
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, fridayteenage said:

could people stop..."engrish"-ing white people's names because they...think asian names are exotic and funny or whatever the eff this is?

we're not in 1961 with mickey rooney or 1937 with luise rainer.

863176400_JxPHkiL-Imgur.thumb.png.450751

image.thumb.gif.fe71e4714d2dbf948a18b88a

chuck.thumb.gif.124c199be9fb4de6f43661c6

989285272_ezgif.com-gif-maker(8).thumb.g

thank you. 

I guess as a South East Asian with Chinese ancestry that just wanted to have some fun banter without malicious intent is not allowed by Asian excellence gatekeeper fridayteenage.

Qng magahimu man lng gajud na xa nga naai ginagmai gajud napagkahalipay. Ampu.an na lng na jud naq ni xia bah. :cm:

• Haha 2

I've been such an advocate of Everything Everywhere All At Once and Past Lives for Asian Excellence, especially Yeoh and Ke as a fellow South East Asian who are, let's face it far underrepresented from other Asian demographics. 

Ginahatagan ganeh ug pagalamag unja gina away. :cm:

• Like 2

not surprised certain individuals can’t pertain themselves a good harmless laugh, guess we gotta make it swift about the consequences of these so called imperative slandering names 

spacer.png

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, hausofdave said:

not surprised certain individuals can’t pertain themselves a good harmless laugh, guess we gotta make it swift about the consequences of these so called imperative slandering names 

spacer.png

It's really weird. I appreciate fridayteenage's advocacy for Asian representation but it's just playful banter unless the nicknames have been severely butchered to the point of offensiveness.

Has he seen the K-Pop thread moderated by none other than ATRL Admin Ryan? Nicknames there run abound more offensive than our phonetic splice of nicknames.

I could run an essay here how in the Asian community it's always the East Asian that are highly favoured than South East Asians and how they see us as inferior to them but I'm not gonna go open that can of worms on a thread celebrating the excellence of the art of filmmaking.

Yes, there is much to do more about Asian representation but don't equate the silly names to the yellow face of Hollywood. But if others find it offensive then I'll stop.

Kanang pwede ra gajud mu.lugar qng asa ka nagapangitag away biyernesngaulitawo. Sanaol maghunus.dili gamai :cm:

Anyway, 

Georgia Film Critics Association (GAFCA) Winners:

Best Picture
“Oppenheimer” (WINNER)
“Past Lives” (RUNNER-UP)

Best Director
“Oppenheimer” – Christopher Nolan (WINNER)
“Barbie” – Greta Gerwig (RUNNER-UP)
“Killers of the Flower Moon” – Martin Scorsese (RUNNER-UP)

Best Actor
Cillian Murphy (“Oppenheimer”) (WINNER)
Jeffrey Wright (“American Fiction”) (RUNNER-UP)

Best Actress
Lily Gladstone (“Killers of the Flower Moon”) (WINNER)
Emma Stone (“Poor Things”) (RUNNER-UP)

Best Supporting Actor
Robert Downey, Jr. (“Oppenheimer”) (WINNER)
Charles Melton (“May December”) (RUNNER-UP)

Best Supporting Actress
Da’Vine Joy Randolph (“The Holdovers”) (WINNER)
Emily Blunt (“Oppenheimer”) (RUNNER-UP)

Best Original Screenplay
“The Holdovers” – David Hemingson (WINNER)
“Past Lives” – Celine Song (RUNNER-UP)

Best Adapted Screenplay
“Oppenheimer” – Christopher Nolan (WINNER)
“American Fiction” – Cord Jefferson (RUNNER-UP)

Best Cinematography
“Oppenheimer” – Hoyte Van Hoytema (WINNER)
“Killers of the Flower Moon” – Rodrigo Prieto (RUNNER-UP)

Best Production Design
“Barbie” – Sarah Greenwood, Katie Spencer (WINNER)
“Poor Things” – James Price, Shona Heath, Szusza Mihalek (RUNNER-UP)

Best Original Score
“Oppenheimer” – Ludwig Göransson (WINNER)
“Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse” – Daniel Pemberton (RUNNER-UP)

Best Original Song
“What Was I Made For?” – Billie Eillish, Finneas O’Connell (“Barbie”) (WINNER)
“I’m Just Ken” – Mark Ronson, Andrew Wyatt (“Barbie”) (RUNNER-UP)

• Like 1

National Society of Film Critics winners in a few hours :duca:

I'm thinking Randolph and The Boy and The Heron will sweep TRIFECTA critics :duca:

It took the Oscars 20 years to award another WOC in Best Actress, it will be surprising if they do it again so soon to an unknown actress but Lily will probably sweep.

Poor Things might be a bit too weird for the academy, though I still need to watch it.

The Best Actress race this year might be akin to the Anthony Hopkins-Chadwick Boseman race from several years back. Everyone predict Boseman to win because of xyz reasons, but, ultimately, the better performance was awarded. I see something similar happening this year—Emma Stone’s superior performance will win.

i think part of it is that the father opened at the last second, in so few theaters that we don't actually have any reported #s for the first 2 weeks. 

we didn't have much to go off of for so long, not being able to see it till march, by which time it seemed like chadwick was a lock. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fridayteenage said:

i think part of it is that the father opened at the last second, in so few theaters that we don't actually have any reported #s for the first 2 weeks. 

we didn't have much to go off of for so long, not being able to see it till march, by which time it seemed like chadwick was a lock. 

Exactly,

Plus Anthony Hopkins is an acting legend who played a man suffering from Alzheimers and he hadn’t won an Oscar in 30 years. In the end he had a much stronger performance AND film than Boseman who was relying mainly on narrative. 

Emma won less than a decade ago and is playing some weird female Frankenstein character, to win a 2nd Oscar for this kinda film and role she needed to sweep the critics and should be undeniable but she’s not.

I think Lily takes it in the end. 

• Like 1

wet blanket wet blanketting again

spacer.png

also not Ahr Dè Jé :bibliahh:

1 hour ago, ALittleGauche said:

The Best Actress race this year might be akin to the Anthony Hopkins-Chadwick Boseman race from several years back. Everyone predict Boseman to win because of xyz reasons, but, ultimately, the better performance was awarded. I see something similar happening this year—Emma Stone’s superior performance will win.

I hope so. emma stone is leagues above any other actor in her cohort (as shown with her performance in Poor Things and The Curse) and deserves to be recognised as such with her strongest performance thus far. that being said I wouldn't be mad if gladstone took it, because stone's second win is inevitable

Happy if Lily/Emma takes Best Actress Oscar :jonny4:

The one I'm rooting the most is for Legend Miyazaki to win his second Oscar for The Boy and The Heron :jonny5:Legend just ate and left no crumbs :jonny2:

I want Legend Miyazaki to win his second Oscar too, but Across the Spider-Verse is getting a lot Best Picture nods :dancehall:

I don't know if I'm in a minority here but I think that Across the Spider-Verse was actually a let down compared to the first one

QueenofCopyPaste

:clap3:

QueenofCopyPaste

When Sandra Huller wins the Golden Globe Drama this Sunday :jonny5:

NYFCC, NSFC, LAFCA, NBR SWEEP

Won Oscar
Sally Field, Norma Rae
Meryl Streep, Kramer vs. Kramer
Sissy Spacek, Coal Miner’s Daughter
Meryl Streep, Sophie’s Choice
Jack Nicholson, Terms of Endearment
Anjelica Huston, Prizzi’s Honor
Emma Thompson, Howards End
Holly Hunter, The Piano
Nicolas Cage, Leaving Las Vegas
Helen Mirren, The Queen
Forest Whitaker, The Last King of Scotland
Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk

Lost Oscar
Michelle Pfieffer, The Fabulous Baker Boys
Willem Dafoe, The Florida Project

TBA
Da’Vine Joy Randolph, The Holdovers

anigif_sub-buzz-2228-1572296229-1.gif

As for the Best Actress race, my biggest doubt with Gladstone has always been her lack of “name” / status in the industry. Lead acting races greatly favor famous people. But I think the unique factors of her campaign negate a lot of that. Gladstone is the critical favorite, she’s in a Scorsese film and she’s the strongest aspect of the film on the awards circuit. Plus it just wouldn’t look good if any white people win for Killers but she goes empty-handed.  

It goes against conventional thinking at this point, but I feel her only competition for the win is actually Margot Robbie (even if there’s a possibility Robbie won’t even be nominated). But there is absolutely a nightmare timeline where she wins some precursors and/or she gets carried along in a Barbie sweep.

I don’t see any of the others contending for the win at all. Greta Lee can’t get ahead of Gladstone as the top woman of color in competition, and Sandra Huller won’t get ahead of her as the top “no name” actress in competition. Maestro will win for Cooper if anything, no matter how hard people have pushed the “it’s Carey’s movie, actually” narrative. And I have this suspicion that Poor Things is gonna underperform expectations in terms of wins. 

• Like 2

Actress:

Huller - NSFC, LA

Gladstone - NY, NBR

Stone - LA, NSFC 2nd

S Actress:

Randolph - NSFC/LA/NY/NBR

McAdams - LA

Cruz - NSFC 2nd

Actor:

Scott - LA runner up/tied top male, NSFC

Wright - LA runner up/tied top male, NSFC 2nd

Rogowski - NY

Giamatti - NBR

S Actor:

Melton - NSFC, NY

Gosling - LA runner up/top male, NSFC 2nd tie

Ruffalo - NBR

Downey - NSFC 2nd tie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.