96th Academy Awards | Top Winners: Oppenheimer 7x, Poor Things 4x

WildAmerican

On 12/30/2023 at 9:03 PM, McNulty said:

Great lineup, 0 Supporting Actress tho

And no crossovers with the LA roundtable iirc. 

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hausofdave

• WildAmerican

• Donquizote

• Almodusa

Not Liddos already conspiring in here for next season's thread when SAG hasn't even announced their nominees for the current awards season. Can y'all maybe get your own separate thread so the rest of us can follow and support/occassionally shade in peace? Koombayah

• Thumbs Down 1

Anybody else feel that Netflix fumbled the bag with The Society of the Snow?

It could've been mimicking an All Quiet type of run if it was released earlier and had time to grow organically; the reviews are good and I feel it will be a hit on Netflix, but it's getting released too late for it to be noticed even if it makes noise. I guess they counted on May December and Maestro but those two are having a mid-off, I'm just surprised they didn't even try to position it as a possible underdog organic hit spoiler

Although even All Quiet caught them by surprise last year and they were originally pushing, ermm... Glass Onion instead (:priceless:), they just don't have faith in intl movies ig?? Which is weird since intl films are getting more and more recognition each year and they have a unique platform that's optimal for putting them in the spotlight.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wesleywalrus said:

Ready for the Globes to be messy and give Rosamund Pike the win 

GG win + BAFTA / SAG noms, she's happening :clap3:

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, wesleywalrus said:

Ready for the Globes to be messy and give Rosamund Pike the win 

after Angela Bassett last year its possible... Globes do interesting things.... but I think we'll be seeing a Da'Vine straight shot to the Oscars

Reflecting on last year, I do think Angela Bassett would've won the Oscar if EEAAO wasn't so strong, Jiè Mi Lê definitely got swept up in the momentum 

Edited by WildAmerican
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

QueenofCopyPaste

Sandra Huller ALL THE WAY.

QueenofCopyPaste

Also I think

Margot Robbie will be in. :dancehall:

I saw The Color Purple yesterday. I was rooting for the film to be good, but it was very mediocre. There were a lot of… choices.

The pacing, characterization, and shots still very much felt like the entire film was confined creatively in an onstage musical. There were multiple character viewpoints, with the secondary characters outshining the drab protagonist. Shots were static when they shouldn’t have been. (I heard a lot about Fantasia’s “I’m Here” performance but that was more of a whimper than a banger of a performance. That could’ve been more impactful with a more astute directional choice. Instead, she just sings in front of a door for most of it.) The consecutive reconciliations at the end, especially with the abusive character all of a sudden having a turnaround moment, felt unwarranted. But again, onstage musicals usually wrap things up for a happy ending in the last 10 minutes, and that’s what it felt like. Even the performances and choreographed sequences either felt small-scale or merely a distraction from the emotional weight they were working towards.

Even Fantasia’s Ceily was very much… okay. Taraji and Danielle definitely outshone her. It didn’t help that her character was so one-note all throughout. Yeah, we get it, she’s abused. Repeatedly. And we get consecutive sequences of her just tolerating the abuse. So what? There was nothing about her character to root for the majority of the film. The bombastic supporting characters came and went, and Ceily’s disposition stayed the same.  There were no nuggets of transformation for the audience to hang onto. Fantasia also could’ve enunciated a little bit more, and I think it should’ve been the director’s job to nudge her towards that direction. The accents already made the film poorly intelligible, so having Fantasia not speak in a breathy voice would’ve helped. (I was an American Idol kid growing up so her final performance was reminiscent of a grand finale performance where the choir would   appear behind her.) 

Some other random notes:

-Mary Agnes played by HER was a sack of potatoes. Why was she there?

-Ceily’s ~moment~ at the dining room table didn’t feel impactful. I blame the delivery. Danielle Brooks’s laughter in that scene was what hit home for me and very much felt like a catharsis from what her character was going through at the time.

-Taraji lip syncing not to her own voice was distracting and is probably what would cost her a nomination.

-Most of the film felt like it was shot in a studio. 

3/5

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

1 hour ago, ALittleGauche said:

Taraji lip syncing not to her own voice was distracting and is probably what would cost her a nomination.

Taraji does her own singing in the film.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lovett said:

Taraji does her own singing in the film.

Right :rip:

4 minutes ago, monologueNacafe said:

Right :rip:

Are you agreeing or being sarcastic? Because she did... :deadbanana2:

Just now, Lovett said:

Are you agreeing or being sarcastic? Because she did... :deadbanana2:

agreeing 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, monologueNacafe said:

agreeing 

I couldn't tell with the :rip: emoji, it was throwing me off!

QueenofCopyPaste

Emma Stone

Lily Gladstone

Carey Mulligan

Sandra Huller

Margot Robbie/Greta Lee

imo.

28 minutes ago, QueenofCopyPaste said:

Emma Stone

Lily Gladstone

Carey Mulligan

Sandra Huller

Margot Robbie/Greta Lee

imo.

Natalie Portman :gaycatina1:

It'd be weirder than not if Barbie maxes out on noms but Robbie, as the central/titular performance, doesn't go along with it

margot is getting nominated (sadly). really hoping A24 pulls out all the last minute stops to get greta in over her but i don't see it happening. 

1 hour ago, hausofdave said:

It'd be weirder than not if Barbie maxes out on noms but Robbie, as the central/titular performance, doesn't go along with it

to be fair, for best picture winners, the

titular slumdog millionaire & the

titular last emperor

missed. though they weren't white so there's that.

Just saw The Holdovers at Davine needs to win something. Its so good.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, Elusive Chanteuse said:

Just saw The Holdovers at Davine needs to win something. Its so good.

Bby she's probably the biggest lock in any of the above the line categories, she's taking it.

Which got me thinking, considering she's very likely taking sup. actress and Giamatti is apparently win competitive in BA, shouldn't Sessa sneak in BSA as well? I know he's a newcomer and that category is stacked, but he's getting praised in the same sentences as the other two, it'd be weird they make it and he doesn't. However I need to see him appear somewhere relevant before predicting him, SAG especially. 

• Like 1

Barbie seems like TG: Maverick.

I think Robbie will be snubbed for Greta/someone else. We'll see.

QueenofCopyPaste
1 hour ago, Donquizote said:

Except Barbie will get into Best Picture, Best Director etc

and Margot and America even appearing on critics list 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, QueenofCopyPaste said:

Except Barbie will get into Best Picture, Best Director etc

and Margot and America even appearing on critics list 

TG MAVERICK also was nominated for multiple categories including BP, Screenplay, Original Song, technical categories.

Both are box office juggernaut.

Robbie will be this year Cruise.

There's no passion for her performance.

Greta Lee will get lots of #1 votes for nomination.

4 hours ago, teresaguidice said:

margot is getting nominated (sadly). really hoping A24 pulls out all the last minute stops to get greta in over her but i don't see it happening. 

Oh god please no. 

Greta deserves to get nominated. 

5 hours ago, Donquizote said:

i think there's a lot more love/excitement for barbie. they wanted to give top gun it's due for "saving cinema" but there wasn't real passion for it and tom cruise is still a weirdo to many despite his perma A list status and he didn't campaign because he's scared of the media. on the other hand, greta gave barbie academy pedigree, it has the kind of safe political message the academy loves, and margot is campaigning nonstop and is well liked (her nomination for bombshell was insanely unearned). i don't know, definitely possible they snub her for a more deserving performance but i err on the side of the academy botching it. 

Edited by teresaguidice

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.