96th Academy Awards | Top Winners: Oppenheimer 7x, Poor Things 4x

WildAmerican

i don't think barbie and purple have the same target demo and would take votes from each other.

purple not being a light comedy. 

it's actually not too common for this category to have 2 fictional comedies, so emma being a lock could be what boots margot. 

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hausofdave

• WildAmerican

• Donquizote

• Almodusa

On 12/24/2023 at 6:53 PM, fridayteenage said:

Lady Gaga - House of Gucci

It's no where near a snub. She wasn't stronger than anyone who got nom that year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny Jacobs said:

It's no where near a snub. She wasn't stronger than anyone who got nom that year. 

the list is not based on atrl user johnny jacobs' opinion of gaga's quality, it's based on globes/baftas/sags

• Haha 3

Just now, fridayteenage said:

the list is not based on atrl user johnny jacobs' opinion of gaga's quality, it's based on globes/baftas/sags

Okay. And? Why are you pressed? 

Real Housewives Of Atlanta Nene GIF by Bravo TV

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Johnny Jacobs said:

Okay. And? Why are you pressed? 

Real Housewives Of Atlanta Nene GIF by Bravo TV

They listed like 15 people and you picked out Gaga. She hit more precursors than others on that list but that was the one you focused on, I wonder why? Maybe you are the one that is pressed?

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Vroom Vroom said:

They listed like 15 people and you picked out Gaga. She hit more precursors than others on that list but that was the one you focused on, I wonder why? Maybe you are the one that is pressed?

I am not. And you thought you ate playing the victim card. It's not the fight you wanted to have so chill. Loved her in asib. She wasnt as good in hog. Anything else? 

• Thumbs Down 1

41 minutes ago, Johnny Jacobs said:

I am not. And you thought you ate playing the victim card. It's not the fight you wanted to have so chill. Loved her in asib. She wasnt as good in hog. Anything else? 

OP posted a list of people who have hit the precursors but got snubbed in the end. Snub being defined here not as an opinion but as a surprising outcome after hitting BAFTA, SAG, Globes, CC. And you decided to nitpick like it was an opinion lmao. I don't know what's so hard to process here

• Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Liafen said:

OP posted a list of people who have hit the precursors but got snubbed in the end. Snub being defined here not as an opinion but as a surprising outcome after hitting BAFTA, SAG, Globes, CC. And you decided to nitpick like it was an opinion lmao. I don't know what's so hard to process here

I don't see what's hard to understand either. Just like i explained two the other two LMs, i gave me opinion on it. What's not clicking? 

Move on :rip: 

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Jacobs said:

I don't see what's hard to understand either. Just like i explained two the other two LMs, i gave me opinion on it. What's not clicking? 

It's not about opinions, on awards discussions 'snub' is considered who hit all the precursors and then miss the final one (the Oscar), it's not about if somebody is deserving or not according to personal taste, but a statistic, Gaga missed nomination for HOG was referred as 'snub' to all the media outlets because of that, regardless if who wrote the articles thought she was actually deserving or not, that is another argument, a personal take indeed.

It's not a hard concept to understand either.

• Like 1

There isn't a thread for The Holdovers? Watched it last night, and what a MOVIE :jonny2: It felt so idk comfortable and leisurely; you look at the long runtime and the fact there's not a lot of action but it just flows and you're enjoying it the whole way. And it so unexpectedly poignant.

Anyway DaVine is TAKING IT :jonny5:What a performance, so natural, I felt the same vibes as when I watched Gladstone earlier this year. Hopefully the other 2 also get noms, they'd deserve it 100%.

• Like 6
  • Thumbs Down 1

killers 206

oppenheimer 180

holdovers 133

holdovers being the shortest of the apparent 'main' contenders could help it.

departed is the last winner to hit 2.5 hours.

QueenofCopyPaste

Watch Milo Machado Graner pull a "Marina de Tavira" :fonso:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, QueenofCopyPaste said:

Watch Milo Machado Graner pull a "Marina de Tavira" :fonso:

and the dog, iktr!

Spoiler

:santa:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Komet said:

There isn't a thread for The Holdovers? Watched it last night, and what a MOVIE :jonny2: It felt so idk comfortable and leisurely; you look at the long runtime and the fact there's not a lot of action but it just flows and you're enjoying it the whole way. And it so unexpectedly poignant.

Anyway DaVine is TAKING IT :jonny5:What a performance, so natural, I felt the same vibes as when I watched Gladstone earlier this year. Hopefully the other 2 also get noms, they'd deserve it 100%.

I still think this is taking it. Oppenheimer just has a lot of hype on the Internet because of the Nolan stans. 

holdovers just feels like a weird possible winner since it's less acclaimed and less successful than payne's main contenders so far (sideways, descendants) which won 1 oscar each.

sideways 94, $72 mil US

descendants 84, $83 mil US

holdovers 82, $18 mil US

(schmidt 85, $65 mil US)

it's also less payne-centric since he didn't write this one.

Edited by fridayteenage
  • Like 1

Hoping for multiple nominations for The Boy and The Heron :jonny5:

Best Music, Best Animated Feature, and Best Picture. Let's go.

oprah-winfrey-stunt.gif

that's no kind of comparison tho since payne already has 2 oscars vs. sian heder who's an unknown.

the closest equivalent we could possibly have would be, like, american fiction

13 hours ago, Johnny Jacobs said:

It's because you're trying to place your opinion above material analysis. :rip:

You're absolutely allowed to dislike Gaga's performance. But acting like your opinion is definitive, especially in the face of hard facts in regards to the progression of the season, is just not reality. 

• Like 2

The way Annette Bening is getting barely any buzz this season is very weird. It’s the type of performance that will 100% get her a nom IMO.

Da’Vine’s “he’s gone” moment bodied me.

The Holdovers in general was lovely and moving all round. A new seasonal classic.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

12 hours ago, wesleywalrus said:

The way Annette Bening is getting barely any buzz this season is very weird. It’s the type of performance that will 100% get her a nom IMO.

The movie had middling reception and Jodie Foster's performance seems to be what people are latching into, not to mention in the weeks leading up to it dropping on Netflix the actors were still on strike so she couldn't do press. I also don't think it got a theatrical push the way May December or Maestro got? I could see her sneaking in at SAG but Carey Mulligan and Natalie Portman are stronger acting contenders than Bening atp, so that's probably where Netflix is sinking most of their attention to

Edited by Blue Monday
  • Like 2

Was curious about original color purple

Was number four of 1985 in the us, basically Oppenheimer tier 

@Johnny Jacobs don’t get mad babe, we all can be loud and wrong and double down in it over multiple posts on one page, no need to go fishing for revenge dislikes when the conversation moves on like a petty bird brained loser. Decorum beloved. Pace yourself :heart:

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Jessie said:

@Johnny Jacobs don’t get mad babe, we all can be loud and wrong and double down in it over multiple posts on one page, no need to go fishing for revenge dislikes when the conversation moves on like a petty bird brained loser. Decorum beloved. Pace yourself :heart:

Look in the mirror love

Bird brain > lm brain 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.