96th Academy Awards | Top Winners: Oppenheimer 7x, Poor Things 4x

WildAmerican

I don’t think Spaeny is happening at the Oscars. It’s giving random Volpi win like fellow The Craft star Robin Tunney’s.  

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hausofdave

• WildAmerican

• Donquizote

• Almodusa

Oh wow at Priscilla's Spaeny. Poor Things. :clap3:

6 hours ago, GraceRandolph said:

I don’t think Spaeny is happening at the Oscars. It’s giving random Volpi win like fellow The Craft star Robin Tunney’s.  

The last English-speaking Volpi win to not make it was almost ten years ago (and that was an Italian film). Blanchett x2, Cruz, Kirby, Colman, Stone, Mirren, Staunton, Moore have all made the Oscar lineup since 2000.

However, I do see this as the year the trend breaks unless the raves continue and the film does fairly well commercially. The field is so competitive.

On 9/9/2023 at 3:02 PM, Antisocialites said:

Every English-language Volpi Cup Actress winner performance from this century has made it to the Oscars (except Rose Byrne in 2000). At this point, it's an undeniable stat to not predict Spaeny tbh. I can see her snatching some cute critics awards too.

Help, I didn't see you said this too. 

The male Volpis have missed a few times.

27 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

The last English-speaking Volpi win to not make it was almost ten years ago (and that was an Italian film). Blanchett x2, Cruz, Kirby, Colman, Stone, Mirren, Staunton, Moore have all made the Oscar lineup since 2000.

However, I do see this as the year the trend breaks unless the raves continue and the film does fairly well commercially. The field is so competitive.

Sure, I think Spaeny could make it, but it’s a competitive field. Priscilla is hurt by coming out right after Elvis. 

Poor Tingz keeps winning. This makes COMPLETE sense with my fantasy.

Past Lives already feels forgotten :deadbanana:should've saved that movie for a later release. Teo Yoo >>> everyone in best actor but of course will get 0 push because his performance is in Korean. 

Spaeny is happening. She has that acclaim, biopic role, and newcomer status that tick all the boxes for Oscar nomination.

She's going to fill in that "newcomer welcome to the club" slot whether you like it or not.

bSh1Oy5.thumb.gif.6b741c3cd7b018ef5471ce

7 minutes ago, Kylizzle said:

Poor Tingz keeps winning. This makes COMPLETE sense with my fantasy.

Past Lives already feels forgotten :deadbanana:should've saved that movie for a later release. Teo Yoo >>> everyone in best actor but of course will get 0 push because his performance is in Korean. 

maybe they didn't want the movie to make 2 dollars like some last minute films. for example in the us, it outgrossed

tar

to leslie (lol)

eyes of tammy faye

parallel mothers

spencer

when greta lee is an unknown.

19 hours ago, EnigmaticAndroid said:

The first reactions to Lee...

Another year, another Winslet Oscar bait flop :priceless:

i saw it at tiff and it was mid. There was a good movie somewhere in there, Kate was good tho!

Seen a bunch at TIFF, in the spoiler lmk if you have questions about any of them :bird:

Spoiler

* Woman of the Hour 7.5/10
    * Finestkind 6/10
    * His Three Daughters 8/10
    * Mother, Couch 6.5/10
    * Lee 7/10
    * Dumb Money 8/10
    * The End We Start From 8/10
    * Boy Kills World 7/10

• Like 2

Watching In The Mood For Love.

One of the best love movies I've ever watched.

Can't believe Academy SNUBBED this movie at gunpoint.

Wong Kar Wai should have won Best Director and both leads should have been nominated for their respective acting categories.

bSh1Oy5.thumb.gif.6b741c3cd7b018ef5471ce

• Like 1

22 hours ago, WildAmerican said:

Seen a bunch at TIFF, in the spoiler lmk if you have questions about any of them :bird:

Hide contents

* Woman of the Hour 7.5/10
    * Finestkind 6/10
    * His Three Daughters 8/10
    * Mother, Couch 6.5/10
    * Lee 7/10
    * Dumb Money 8/10
    * The End We Start From 8/10
    * Boy Kills World 7/10

I’ve been hearing mixed things about TEWSF. What did you like about it?

spacer.png

15 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

I’ve been hearing mixed things about TEWSF. What did you like about it?

spacer.png

i liked the way it explores the climate crisis from a super intimate and human perspective, not focused on disaster per se. it also had a very clear directorial vision, and Jodie was great (per usual). Was a touch under written, and think it might have limited appeal bc of that. 

Spaeny will be a threat to win Best Actress if her movie is a box office success.

https://deadline.com/2023/09/anna-kendrick-woman-of-the-hour-movie-netflix-deal-1235542423/

Anna Kendrick's solid directorial debut which I saw at TIFF was acquired by Netflix. Probably not doing anything awards wise, but will be great that a lot will see it. It will be interesting to see what she does next!

Who needs a second Oscar when you already WON Grammy, 2 Emmys, and Oscar Lead Actress :worship:

I want Jodie Comer to finally get nominated for an Oscar.... what are the chances? 

I also really want Mulligan and Winslet to be nominated. (I haven't seen basically ANY of these movies.)

I don't know anything about Maestro but Mulligan going lead is giving me the same energy as Michelle Williams going lead for Fablesman

8 hours ago, Riot said:

I don't know anything about Maestro but Mulligan going lead is giving me the same energy as Michelle Williams going lead for Fablesman

People are saying it's a lead role, and she has a ton of scenes in the second half.

9 hours ago, Riot said:

So both being definite leads, got it

Taika’s Next Goal Wins is getting mixed reviews, right what he deserves! Honestly I always found him annoying and then even Chris Hemsworth got tired of him after the flop of Thor 4.

Reminder Jojo Rabbit is TRASH. Waititi getting pan after pan is DESERVED. 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

MIchael Wifebeater is so over. :rip:

16 hours ago, Dark Phoenix said:

Taika’s Next Goal Wins is getting mixed reviews, right what he deserves! Honestly I always found him annoying and then even Chris Hemsworth got tired of him after the flop of Thor 4.

i don't think the AMPAS will allow this, probably get relegated to Adapted similar to Whiplash and Moonlight

19 hours ago, wesleywalrus said:

Reminder Jojo Rabbit is TRASH. Waititi getting pan after pan is DESERVED. 

well he already has greta gerwig's oscar

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.