Angela Bassett: "I guess Angela Bassett did the thing".

PlERRE

She confirms she did the thing while accepting the ‘Entertainer of the Year’ award at the NAACP Image Awards. 

I still think it’s weird that she is getting all these awards for a superhero movie. It feels cheap for an actor of her caliber. She should be nominated for a meaty role, not for some token nomination from a token movie.  

4 minutes ago, Pleighboy said:

I still think it’s weird that she is getting all these awards for a superhero movie. It feels cheap for an actor of her caliber. She should be nominated for a meaty role, not for some token nomination from a token movie.  

it's a career award pretty much, everyone's accepted that.

it is a good role tho too and it is deserved.

Glad she supported her here. A good idea just poorly executed :clap3:

8 minutes ago, Pleighboy said:

I get your take, but it can also be seen as how good of an actress she is and the prestige her performance is bringing to a “superhero” film.

11 minutes ago, Pleighboy said:

well it worked for joaquin phoenix

3 minutes ago, toxicLambBot said:

I get your take, but it can also be seen as how good of an actress she is and the prestige her performance is bringing to a “superhero” film.

No, it’s tokenism. 

Well, just call it a career award like @WildAmericansaid. 

12 minutes ago, Pleighboy said:

No, it’s tokenism. 

Please elaborate 

And did!!!

53 minutes ago, Pleighboy said:

The real question is why didnt she get nominated for any of her other roles? :confused:

3 minutes ago, Helios said:

The real question is why didnt she get nominated for any of her other roles? :confused:

She was nominated for her iconic performance in What’s Love Got To Do With It, but the win was stolen from her by a white actress in a movie no one has seen. That was 30 years ago. This win for a supporting role in a comic book movie is just a late apology.

Just now, Mitsouko said:

She was nominated for her iconic performance in What’s Love Got To Do With It, but the win was stolen from her. That was 30 years ago. This win for a supporting role in a comic book movie is just a late apology.

Why hasn't she been nominated for anything since? :confused:

Well if yall gave laura dern a oscar for that HORRIBLE PERFORMANCE. than angela definitely deserves hers

44 minutes ago, Pleighboy said:

No, it’s tokenism. 

I was talking about the acclaim she has been receiving this award season not this award in general 

59 minutes ago, Pleighboy said:

I read a comment somewhere that said that if you take away the superhero aspect of the film, she's essentially playing a grieving mother who has just lost her son, which is pretty on brand for the supporting actress category. I do agree though, she was good but not awards worthy but I'm okay with the win being a career achievement award.

4 minutes ago, Helios said:

Why hasn't she been nominated for anything since? :confused:

She was a black woman who broke through in the 90s. Roles of substance for POC were hard to come by then, unless they play into stereotypes or are biopics. She was originally offered the role in Monster's Ball (the movie which Halle Berry won the oscar for) but turned it down.

8 minutes ago, Mordecai said:

I read a comment somewhere that said that if you take away the superhero aspect of the film, she's essentially playing a grieving mother who has just lost her son, which is pretty on brand for the supporting actress category. I do agree though, she was good but not awards worthy but I'm okay with the win being a career achievement award.

She was a black woman who broke through in the 90s. Roles of substance for POC were hard to come by then, unless they play into stereotypes or are biopics. She was originally offered the role in Monster's Ball (the movie which Halle Berry won the oscar for) but turned it down.

So in your opinion she has never deserved another nomination?

Edited by Helios

9 minutes ago, Helios said:

So in your opinion she has never deserved another nomination?

I'm not super familiar with her work (maybe she could've gotten another nomination for Malcolm X idk) but the point I was trying to make is that her having so few nominations is not because she wasn't talented or good enough, it's because the industry didn't offer award winning roles to someone like Angela during that time (compared to now).

43 minutes ago, Mitsouko said:

She was nominated for her iconic performance in What’s Love Got To Do With It, but the win was stolen from her by a white actress in a movie no one has seen. That was 30 years ago. This win for a supporting role in a comic book movie is just a late apology.

mmm...the piano is a classic and one of the first female directing noms ever, and actually made more money than What's Love.

it's not like it's Tar or Eyes of Tammy Faye. 

1 hour ago, Pleighboy said:

This 

12 minutes ago, Mordecai said:

I'm not super familiar with her work (maybe she could've gotten another nomination for Malcolm X idk) but the point I was trying to make is that her having so few nominations is not because she wasn't talented or good enough, it's because the industry didn't offer award winning roles to someone like Angela during that time (compared to now).

Hmm I can think of many supporting actress noms that were much more mediocre than this one but maybe thats just me.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.