STOP IT with the (Insert Act) During (Artist) Concert Threads

Does 'writing camp' really take away from Beyoncé's artistry?

AxelFox

I see this term being thrown around a lot, especially as of lately, and I never really understood why it's supposed to be the 'skull drag' that some pretend it is. 

We have seen time and time again how involved she is in the creation process of her music and literally everyone that has worked with her has praised praised her for how in control she is of everything. 

We all can agree on the fact that Beyoncé is not much of a composer, as she very rarely creates something from scratch. But it is also not a case where she is given a demo, is told what to sing, how to sing it and releases it as is. She is always changing stuff, adding stuff, re-arranging stuff, bringing new ideas into it, essentially giving her own touch to a record that would not have been the same without her contribution. 

The number of writers is always brought up, why is it that her choosing to collaborate with different people and getting ideas and inspiration from different sources is seen as a bad thing? If you look at the credits without the samples (that Beyoncé herself wants to add to a song) most of them are in the 5-6 range, which is pretty standard for most pop girls out there. 

The fact that she works with many different people yet still manages to make cohesive and wholesome bodies of works shows that it is indeed Beyoncé's own artistic vision that you get to experience while listening to her albums, not anybody else's, even though she didn't write all the words and melodies herself. The person who wrote the Love Drought demo would have never come up with an album like Lemonade. The people credited for the samples in Alien Superstar would not have come up with a song like that, let alone an album like Renaissance. That is Beyoncé's artistry through and through. 

Lastly, I just want to bring up a point that I read in a comment on one of her videos that has stayed with me. That is that Beyoncé is one of the best directors out there. Movie directors usually tend to get all the credit for films, but they are always helming massive teams of creatives. The best directors are great leaders who know how to manage these teams, including giving direction where needed and stepping back when it's not. Beyoncé also happens to be the product of this directing. 

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• swissman

• Josh

• slw84

• Nippy'sReceipts

Personally, I always treated writing as a bonus, but for me it doesn't take much away, if the artist doesn't write. As long as the music is good, that's all I care about. Who wrote the song doesn't change my personal experience of the song, so I don't really put that focus on it.

people on here and in general are too dumb to understand how credits work and/or are dense on purpose. but who cares, at the end of the day her music is more acclaimed and awarded than any of the girls that are stanned on here so she wins :zzz:

and for the "the writers are making  the music for her :isudumblmao:" crowd, how come y’all faves don’t have the same acclaim and quality body of works then ? if anyone can have a lemonade, selftitled or renaissance how come your fave does not have one let alone 3 of them ? 

Edited by ScorpiosGroove

4 minutes ago, ScorpiosGroove said:

people on here and in general are too dumb to understand how credits work and/or are dense on purpose. but who cares, at the end of the day her music is more acclaimed and awarded than any of the girls that are stanned on here so she wins :zzz:

and for the "the writers are making  the music for her :isudumblmao:" crowd, how come y’all faves don’t have the same acclaim and quality body of works then ? if anyone can have a lemonade, selftitled or renaissance how come your fave does not have one let alone 3 of them ? 

because our fave's PR teams didn't spend the last decade forcing the idea that if you don't like them or praise them to the high heavens, you are racist. it is "uncool" to criticize beyonce so these journalist don't dare. the fact that beyonce continues to lose these big awards (oscars and grammys) goes to show this is the truth. when people are able to let their thoughts be known anonymously and without backlash, they show they are not here for beyonce and her writing camps. if these music reviewers were able to review beyonce anonymously, we would see them treat beyonce the same way the grammys have.

//

1 minute ago, Bears01 said:

Lol at the end of the day nobody outside of ATRL cares 

she literally just lost AOTY yet again because the voters (outside of ATRL) do in fact care. it's obvious beyonce's reputation within the industry is nothing close to what we see on stan twitter.

///

and of course. what kind of question is this? someone who pays others to create their art is not an artist in and of themselves. she's an aggregator of talent, but not the talent herself (writing, composing-wise). 

Her output is way better than the people that don’t use camps, no one needs self written garbage 

Her artistry is in the vocals and her vision, she knows she can’t do it all herself so she gets people who CAN make it sound the way she wants :giraffe:

No it doesn’t. She’s an amazing curator and she’s already proved to be able to write as far back as her DC days. Some of the biggest and greatest artist of all time contributed little to their writing. As long as the music is good there’s no reason to drag.

6 minutes ago, Bang Up said:

because our fave's PR teams didn't spend the last decade forcing the idea that if you don't like them or praise them to the high heavens, you are racist. it is "uncool" to criticize beyonce so these journalist don't dare. the fact that beyonce continues to lose these big awards (oscars and grammys) goes to show this is the truth. when people are able to let their thoughts be known anonymously and without backlash, they show they are not here for beyonce and her writing camps. if these music reviewers were able to review beyonce anonymously, we would see them treat beyonce the same way the grammys have

any proof of that other than your own delusions ? :deadbanana4: i know monsters aren’t familiar with acclaimed music but c’mon try something better 

without mentioning she was more acclaimed two decades ago than your fave will ever be when online stan culture and the "your racist for not liking her music" card didn’t even exist, try again:)

btw where’s gaga’s aoty ? or general field grammy ? by your own stupid logic she’s just a talent aggregator and not the talent itself :foxaylove2:

Edited by ScorpiosGroove

14 minutes ago, Bears01 said:

Lol at the end of the day nobody outside of ATRL cares 

This is what this site fails to understand each and every time.

No. Off the top of my head...Lady Gaga and Jennifer Lopez use writing camps too but they both haven't been able to reach a great Beyoncé album quality wise. You can't call it luck either after the BEYONCÉ/Lemonade/Renaissance streak.

Lots of artists do, yet don’t hit the highs Bey has with her albums. You have to ask why is that? If J Lo could come up with good music, she would be one of the top stars, yet she can’t get a good song from her camps.

7 minutes ago, Bang Up said:

and of course. what kind of question is this? someone who pays others to create their art is not an artist in and of themselves. she's an aggregator of talent, but not the talent herself (writing, composing-wise). 

But this is exactly the point I was trying to get across. So according to you, just because she does not compose herself it means she lacks musical talent and artistry?

Going by this logic, I assume you also believe Peter Jackson is a talentless hack because he did not personally write the whole script for LOTR, filmed and edited the entire 3 movies by himself, am I right? :celestial5:

I mean there’s people who are good song writers who would do anything for Beyoncé sing their songs and elevate them with her complex harmonizations and overall vocal production. Not many MPGs who write catchy pop songs are on her level in that department. (I’d argue that some should consider gathering a team of experts to up their overall quality) Beyoncé can put out an album of random harmonies and operatic vocals without any lyrical content and still be praised for her musicality. She’s capable of writing songs and did a lot of the writing in Destiny’s Child, but she’s just no lyrical genius and that’s ok when you’re a vocal genius. 

12 minutes ago, Bang Up said:

because our fave's PR teams didn't spend the last decade forcing the idea that if you don't like them or praise them to the high heavens, you are racist. it is "uncool" to criticize beyonce so these journalist don't dare.

Y’all already starting with the dog whistles :bloo:

6 minutes ago, Love Again said:

No it doesn’t. She’s an amazing curator and she’s already proved to be able to write as far back as her DC days. Some of the biggest and greatest artist of all time contributed little to their writing. As long as the music is good there’s no reason to drag.

But those artists like Whitney didn't have their PR team telling the world that their artist is the GOAT like Beyonce's

If it doesn't, then it shouldn't for other artists

that are mainly dragged for that - like Rihanna

To the people who actually care about the music.... not at all.

Some artists (who will not be named here) are so focused on working alone, that they forget the music is the most important puzzle-piece.

Her writing camps challenge her previous music with new structure, different writing styles, etc.

Thank God she isn't creatively stuck in 2011 like those artists I mentioned above.

If those writing camps are coming out with albums like ST, Lemonade, and Renaissance then more of ATRL faves should get on that. Let's see how they fair :rip: 

No, because she delivers... She's a masterful performer, great vocalist & she's commits to the concepts. So, no.

2 minutes ago, Rev8 said:

If it doesn't, then it shouldn't for other artists

that are mainly dragged for that - like Rihanna

Anti is the first Rihanna album that can be described as quality, cohesive, and critically-acclaimed. When she can thread 3 or 4 of those projects together you'll see some movement in that convo.

i dont mean this as a drag but beyoncé is a brand. but the music is polished and impeccable and at the end thats what matters. everything beyonce touches feels very beyonce, no one else can do it like her :michael:

25 minutes ago, Bang Up said:

because our fave's PR teams didn't spend the last decade forcing the idea that if you don't like them or praise them to the high heavens, you are racist. it is "uncool" to criticize beyonce so these journalist don't dare. the fact that beyonce continues to lose these big awards (oscars and grammys) goes to show this is the truth. when people are able to let their thoughts be known anonymously and without backlash, they show they are not here for beyonce and her writing camps. if these music reviewers were able to review beyonce anonymously, we would see them treat beyonce the same way the grammys have.

sounds like something a racist would say :supaspaz:

OT: no

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.