• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jinzo

• Communion

• IBeMe

• Headlock

Disgusting. And I always thought the UK was not diverse enough :rip:

Edited by commander

Not surprised in the slightest, but I have to say them and their views will feel right at home in alt-right brit spaces.

Fear over "barbaric afghan men" that "hated women and gays" was a huge talking point during the discourse about afghan refugees fleeing the Taliban regime here. I remember very well certain members categorically opposed brown refugees being granted asylum by their european countries because they allegedly didn't align with "western values", so it'll be quite interesting to see their take on this.

Edited by Scars

39 minutes ago, Zack said:

You are making no point. So you're suggesting that "these threads" should just not be posted? That these issues should just not be discussed?

It's not a case of "Ukraine bad" at least not for me. That is an abstraction and not what I'm saying.

The reality is, there are certain people fleeing the warzone, moving to the U.K to accept safety placements and then throwing those placements back because "there are too many Muslims, too many black people" in the safe area they were placed. That is wrong. Period. The situation should not absolve those particular people of condemnation for prejudice of that degree. If you disagree, then there's not much more to discuss and that is a shame.

This particular thread yeah? I think about intent beyond just what’s posted. If someone started posting a bunch of “look at these gross slutty gays” thread, I’d question what the goal of those threads are. Exposing some famous person being bad? Great. Touching on broader inequality issues? Great. Posting a few tweets of random people being dicks and then making it about them being from Ukraine? What’s the point? What’s being achieved with that

Honestly to me this just sounds like you don’t follow general political discourse as much. There’s been a pretty deliberate effort online by Russia to spread a bunch of anti-Ukraine missives literally exactly like this thread

Edited by Redstreak

13 minutes ago, rickybaby said:

VICTIMHOOD is so corny. 

Weird of you to quote a member to say that while ignoring the OP, which has a video of an ukrainian woman claming she's scared because people in her neighborhood aren't white. Doesn't that meet your standards of "victimhood" or whatever?

2 minutes ago, Scars said:

Weird of you to quote a member to say that while ignoring the OP, which has a video of an ukrainian woman claming she's scared because people in her neighborhood aren't white. Doesn't that meet your standards of "victimhood" or whatever?

Oh sis. My point is clearly above you. lol 

2 minutes ago, Scars said:

Not surprised in the slightest, but I have to say them and their views will feel right at home with alt-right brit circles.

Fear over "barbaric afghan men" that "hated women and gays" was a huge talking point during the discourse about afghan refugees fleeing the Taliban regime. I remember very well certain members categorically opposed brown refugees being granted asylum by their european countries because they allegedly didn't align with "western values", so it'll be quite interesting to see their take on this.

Every ATRL thread about Muslims has several posts about how we shouldn’t allow Muslim refugees and they’re allegedly taking over Europe :rip:

The video is disappointing although not surprising. The woman hosting the workshops to allow them to better understand diversity is a saint.

I do think one thing worth noting is that a lot of racist views held in ethnically homogeneous countries are actually imported from perceptions/representations of minorities in Western media and I feel this is something not talked about enough.

32 minutes ago, Redstreak said:

This particular thread yeah? I think about intent beyond just what’s posted. If someone started posting a bunch of “look at these gross slutty gays” thread, I’d question what the goal of those threads are. Exposing some famous person being bad? Great. Touching on broader inequality issues? Great. Posting a few tweets of random people being dicks and then making it about them being from Ukraine? What’s the point? What’s being achieved with that

Honestly to me this just sounds like you don’t follow general political discourse as much. There’s been a pretty deliberate effort online by Russia to spread a bunch of anti-Ukraine missives literally exactly like this thread

Well, in case you hadn't noticed, ATRL is a discussion forum, otherwise your point could be taken to its ultimate destination, which is that no threads on anything could ever be posted, applying your logic.

I think from your point, it is showing quite a significant level of bias (consciously or unconsciously) and lack of understanding/research into the socioeconomic landscape of the U.K to simply dismiss this story as wholly "deliberate" by Russia or that it is just about "Ukraine bad". That's a very poor stance to take and the reality deserves more scrutiny than that. These issues are happening in real time, regardless of the political motivations for reporting on the story and...mirroring a historical pattern, non-white people are once again being actively marginalized/disparaged because of it...that is not a pointless issue to discuss.

Additionally...have you not considered just how disruptive/unhelpful this situation is to existing non-white populations in the U.K. who already struggle with integration and acceptance into wider society? Or does the very real plight of these non-white individuals being prejudiced against...not matter to you as much (or at all)? I can only assume yes, considering you have repeatedly suggested that discussion on it...should be shut down. :doc:

Edited by Zack

50 minutes ago, Robert said:

Every ATRL thread about Muslims has several posts about how we shouldn’t allow Muslim refugees and they’re allegedly taking over Europe :rip:

Exactly. For many ATRLers, the worth of the lives of racialized muslims is very often determined by their views on queerness - even when individuals from that community haven't voiced their opinions themselves. It goes beyond muslim refugees, it's insanely common to see people here claim (non-white) european-national muslims "should go back to their original countries". The complete disregard to citizenship status almost feels like a call for an all-white Europe. :deadbanana4:

Considering that discourses about refugees from the Global South are often centered around the anxiety of europeans about the safety of so-called "western values", but whenever those points are brought up in regard to ukrainian refugees people are often met with accusations of being a russian bot (:skull:), I'm intrigued to see how this thread it'll go on a site relatively more positive toward white refugees compared to other asylum-seekers. I guess some are a bit quiet yet.

50 minutes ago, Robert said:

The video is disappointing although not surprising. The woman hosting the workshops to allow them to better understand diversity is a saint.

I do think one thing worth noting is that a lot of racist views held in ethnically homogeneous countries are actually imported from perceptions/representations of minorities in Western media and I feel this is something not talked about enough.

Yes, partly. Those countries have their own history of racism (and fascism and neo-nazism) too, even if initially started by western supremacy, especially Ukraine, which is the one being discussed right now.

Having said that, no one is born inherently racist, misogynistic, islamophobic, homophobic and so on, but unfortunately some people seem to pick and choose which moments they have that in mind, especially while discussing public policies.

Edited by Scars

52 minutes ago, Redstreak said:

Yup

1 hour ago, rickybaby said:

VICTIMHOOD is so corny. 

So is racism dummy, so stfu.

2 minutes ago, satellites.™ said:

So is racism dummy, so stfu.

Be a victor, not a victim. 

1 hour ago, commander said:

Disgusting. And I always thought the UK was not diverse enough :rip:

it's Birmingham though. there are areas you can't even see any white person. 

1 minute ago, rickybaby said:

Be a victor, not a victim. 

Don't be a racist, that's simpler. 

OR, don't expect charity and goodwill from people.

We don't play that ****.

1 minute ago, satellites.™ said:

Don't be a racist, that's simpler. 

OR, don't expect charity and goodwill from people.

We don't play that ****.

Ok. This makes no sense and you’re boring me to tears. 

3 hours ago, satellites.™ said:

Told yall, this is why black people have to ALWAYS be cautious of where we send our loyalties and who we ally with. These same people will stab us right in the back when they feel comfortable enough to do so.

This. The entire European media have addressed the invasion of Ukraine initially as " This not Iraq, Afghanistan or Syria, This is a country in Europe" just blatant racism. 

But what else is expected from Europe? My friends went on a holiday in Europe and they were kicked out of restaurants and abused on the streets for being of a different background. 

Yikes, this thread is full of people telling people of colour to shut up and not complain about racism.

34 minutes ago, TouchinFree said:

This. The entire European media have addressed the invasion of Ukraine initially as " This not Iraq, Afghanistan or Syria, This is a country in Europe" just blatant racism. 

this blatant lie :biggrin:

1 hour ago, rickybaby said:

Ok. This makes no sense and you’re boring me to tears. 

Between this and your posts in the Candace Owens thread, you’re clearly an uneducated bigot yourself, an idiot or both. 

You don’t look edgy like you clearly want to, you look like a ******* clown. 

Just now, CaptainMusic said:

Between this and your posts in the Candace Owens thread, you’re clearly an uneducated bigot yourself, an idiot or both. 

You don’t look edgy like you clearly want to, you look like a ******* clown. 

Nothing I said was bigoted. You’re just mad I don’t think like YOU do. And that says more about you than me. “Edgy” is for followers like yourself. Now, go write a think piece about not being able to think for yourself. Good luck sis. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.