• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountain

• Aurora

• Legend E

• Invisibility

1 hour ago, Legend E said:

sent my poptimism masterpiece :wave2:

Ngl was low key hoping you’d pick my challenge, I feel like you have so many different characters from songs that would be fun to revisit (Desolation for example deserves redemption, I already gave the original a 9.9 tho :celestial5:)

however here for your pop era

• ATRL Moderator
2 minutes ago, fountain said:

Ngl was low key hoping you’d pick my challenge, I feel like you have so many different characters from songs that would be fun to revisit (Desolation for example deserves redemption, I already gave the original a 9.9 tho :celestial5:)

however here for your pop era

I initially wanted to but the inspiration is just flopping lately :'(  I felt like whatever I would continue might steer too much away from the original. Desolation was also a bit panned by the others as well :michael: 

Maybe if inspiration strikes me more until the deadline I can try something :'( 

24 minutes ago, Legend E said:

I initially wanted to but the inspiration is just flopping lately :'(  I felt like whatever I would continue might steer too much away from the original. Desolation was also a bit panned by the others as well :michael: 

Maybe if inspiration strikes me more until the deadline I can try something :'( 

Nooo don’t worry stick with your song, I was just sharing my own ideas hehe. Since you write very character driven songs 

The others panned Desolation was highly undeserved and I’ll stay by that :fish2:

• ATRL Moderator
15 minutes ago, fountain said:

Nooo don’t worry stick with your song, I was just sharing my own ideas hehe. Since you write very character driven songs 

The others panned Desolation was highly undeserved and I’ll stay by that :fish2:

I mean I don't really believe that much in the flop song I just wrote so :skull: I just feel I've been a bit basic this season but oh well :'(

29 minutes ago, Legend E said:

I mean I don't really believe that much in the flop song I just wrote so :skull: I just feel I've been a bit basic this season but oh well :'(

I wouldn’t really agree with that, I think you’ve been pretty consistently delivering this season. While this season you might not have (thus far) had a smash like “Spa Night”, you also don’t have anything like “It’s My Time To Go” or “Talk of the Town” which remain your lowest scoring songs. Since those two are exclusively from season 1 and you haven’t come close to anything like that since, id actually argue that this shows the growth you’ve had since then. And I don’t mind spilling that your current average for the season is on par with season 2, which obviously had the smash Spa Night uplifting it, so to be honest even though it might not feel like it I think you’re doing great and definitely giving consistency. It’s all relative anyway, writing is very dependent on a lot of things and the timing is ultimately either right or wrong, and if you feel the inspiration is lacking this season maybe the timing is just more on the wrong side (or, alternatively, maybe our challenges aren’t stimulating enough). Regardless you continue to show yourself to be a talented writer, I hope you know that and are proud of it :hug:

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, fountain said:

I wouldn’t really agree with that, I think you’ve been pretty consistently delivering this season. While this season you might not have (thus far) had a smash like “Spa Night”, you also don’t have anything like “It’s My Time To Go” or “Talk of the Town” which remain your lowest scoring songs. Since those two are exclusively from season 1 and you haven’t come close to anything like that since, id actually argue that this shows the growth you’ve had since then. And I don’t mind spilling that your current average for the season is on par with season 2, which obviously had the smash Spa Night uplifting it, so to be honest even though it might not feel like it I think you’re doing great and definitely giving consistency. It’s all relative anyway, writing is very dependent on a lot of things and the timing is ultimately either right or wrong, and if you feel the inspiration is lacking this season maybe the timing is just more on the wrong side (or, alternatively, maybe our challenges aren’t stimulating enough). Regardless you continue to show yourself to be a talented writer, I hope you know that and are proud of it :hug:

the song i just seint will cancel all of this but thank you for the essay and the sweet words :hug: , it means a lot, and it's absolutely fine if i flop this time or not. life has been a stressful mess lately, so that explains it.

54 minutes ago, Legend E said:

the song i just seint will cancel all of this but thank you for the essay and the sweet words :hug: , it means a lot, and it's absolutely fine if i flop this time or not. life has been a stressful mess lately, so that explains it.

Not essay fjdjdjdj drag me

:emofish: that sucks. Well, I hope things will get better soon, and at the very least that this has been/is a fun little distraction from it in the mean time :bird:

• ATRL Moderator
10 minutes ago, fountain said:

Not essay fjdjdjdj drag me

:emofish: that sucks. Well, I hope things will get better soon, and at the very least that this has been/is a fun little distraction from it in the mean time :bird:

It was not a drag :heart: and of course, it is always enjoyable to participate :heart: 

42 minutes ago, Legend E said:

It was not a drag :heart: and of course, it is always enjoyable to participate :heart: 

:heart2: :heart2:

Struggling rn but I want to keep trying for this star consuming demon concept :hippo:

Struggled with my song like I had so many options that I wrote but nothing outstanding came out so I went with the song I think it felt more unique without being so basic and also has some of my own spark that judges seem to love. But not expect anything tbh 

it’s a bad liar kind of bop, minimalistic, experimental but catchy and infectious song that could sound good on the radio :WAP:

Edited by Julia Fox

I tried pop, but I mean... it seems more pop rock and angry... but also maybe not pop idk. I might have to write another 15 minute song.

Last reminder for Round 5! Please try to get any remaining submissions sent in today, thank you:heart:

:bird:

@Kylie Jenner @worldwide angel @JonginBey @Hooker Barbie @XO_Life @Remmy @Element @Invisibility @Blue. @TruGemini @8thPrince @mxtthewdelrey @beatinglikeadrum @EpicSongFan  @JoeAg  @DatChickDoe @Augmented @sugarshine  @Prisoner 

I actually dont hate what i have :redface: picked prometheus as my inspo and its actually coming along quite well. But we'll see hmmm hmmm

ack sorry had a busy week, i’ll get it in after work

@fountainoh sh*t i never saw your review of my most recent one :rip: thanks so much babe, yeah i think i might’ve thrown the other judges for a curveball with this one with how it wasn’t quite as metaphorical off the bat as my previous ones had been! but i really was still going for quality so i’m glad you recognized it :heart:

yeah last week’s was an anomaly for me, i’m going back to my classic style for this week’s

anyway here’s last weeks, i realize i probably never posted it? idk i’m kinda hungover so maybe i’m just forgetting 

Spoiler

When I took Josey there that one night, we wrestled

Our eyes glazed over from the old fashioneds

Classic cigarettes and the taste of whiskey still lingering in our mouths

We kissed deep and got grass stains on our shorts

I can’t be subtle, these vibes still ring true 3 years later

And every Valentine’s since, I’ve thought of his emerald green eyes

When I took Diego there that one night, we kissed under the stars

Not too long after my rendezvous with Josey

We stood the same height, and we couldn’t stop staring at each other

The warmth of his breath on my unshaved cheeks

The softness of his ponytail when I held him in my arms

I can’t lie, I think of him too

By the time Miles moved out to be with me, we had already loved each other for months

I missed his beard those first few months of school

His hands smaller than mine, but mightier

More manly and sturdy

Every inch of him felt so good in me

Every inch of me brought him to his personal heaven 

Hunter was my best friend, but one of my favorite lovers as well

His body resembled mine in almost every area

Smoother than I, though, and he liked it rougher than I did

I liked it soft, vanilla so sweet, the sensual sugar rush

And the starkness of those nights resounds like my voice

Filling up a cathedral hall, my first sold out show

I wish I could be with all of them at once, arms entangled

Legs wrestling gently

The smell of sweat, the crispness of a chilled kiss

Ice cubes melting, snow accumulating

Nothing ends my rapture

Roaring carmine passion, engrossing me with every inch

I plunge deeper and deeper

Til there’s no more hardness in my memory

And the gentle souls I cling onto

Fill up the depths of my heart with warm blood

The memories of them spiral and crash

Somewhere in front of me

Their legs wrestling gently with mine

The beads of sweat, the hills that turned greener

After they heard my moans of pleasure

Boulder aches with my love to this day

Every Valentine’s Day reminds me of those men

And how I’ll never be the boy I once was

All because of them

25 minutes ago, JoeAg said:

@fountainoh sh*t i never saw your review of my most recent one :rip: thanks so much babe, yeah i think i might’ve thrown the other judges for a curveball with this one with how it wasn’t quite as metaphorical off the bat as my previous ones had been! but i really was still going for quality so i’m glad you recognized it :heart:

Yeah I guess it might have been a bit of a curveball, but personally I found it really refreshing. For me it was very much a type of song where I feel that I will only read something like it once, in the sense that the personal content was so in depth and diary entry like, that there is nothing that could be compared to it. It was very vivid and easy to connect to due to this nature and it totally took me there, while still remaining really beautiful and well written even though the focus wasn’t on being as metaphorical as you typically are; I loved it :heart2:

allegedly let work responsibilities get

in the way of songwriting dot dot dot :cries:

i'll be ready to submit for the next round tho

8 minutes ago, worldwide angel said:

allegedly let work responsibilities get

in the way of songwriting dot dot dot :cries:

i'll be ready to submit for the next round tho

Noooo :gaycat7:

Ngl though most people are late and have not submitted yet so maybe it’s not over yet… even if it’s something unfinished I guess that’s better than nothing. But if you do not have the time I understand :jonnycat:

Just now, fountain said:

Noooo :gaycat7:

Ngl though most people are late and have not submitted yet so maybe it’s not over yet… even if it’s something unfinished I guess that’s better than nothing. But if you do not have the time I understand :jonnycat:

i'll try and look through the archives :party: 

Q4avFq2c3CxaDM_jRbPETQ6lQtpQh1z2msDmRkLJiV_gce3y7DTDIuMG0wNMkixadH3uHzhNiA5sFiCT9-Pi2H4ofFZaOb-wL5LWmLYJC0Mc4EIdofRE797fWOjrlIPOGaI1FRlp1pMl0-cSvToje24

Round 5: Judge’s Choice

@Julia Fox - Distracted - (Poptimism)

I definitely agree with your description of this song! It really does fit the vibe of the singers that you mentioned and I can totally picture what this would sound like and the type of person it would resonate with. It has that certain viralability factor where I could see this getting traction on Tik Tok with people using the sound to complain about their ex or whatnot. It’s very trendy and a very specific style, but I think you really nailed it. In terms of the challenge this is definitely a success in my mind, it feels like a very contemporary/Gen Z take on pop and I really could envision this playing on radio and what not. Lyrically, I found it entertaining. It’s got that sassy nature and angst that this type of song embodies, and I think overall you really just fully delivered on what your aim was with this song. The chorus is definitely catchy and there are many quotable, Instagram caption ready lyrics here. It’s obviously not the most poignant or complex song in the world like you said but that’s of course not what it was trying to be, and in terms of the poptimism challenge I think it’s strong enough that it stands on its own without being too generic, but it is still a very identifiable and accessible sound. Good job!

@Legend E - See You Again on Tinder - (Poptimism)

I mean, for ten minutes, it could definitely be worse. 

I guess I will start by pointing out the obvious that this is clearly not your best. However like I said in the thread, writing is very dependent on a lot of things, so when it comes down to it it’s unfair to always expect the very best because there are so many things that go into writing a song. So, with that out of the way, for what this is I think it’s marginally a success. I definitely can see the pop influence and feel in this, it definitely gives me a specific dark/clubby pop song feel to it, I guess I would say I picture it kinda in the vein of Tove or something like that. What I will say is that even in this more throwaway song it’s still very evident that there is a great writer at heart behind it. Even here you still manage to really succeed in crafting a very character driven song, I would say this is something that I have absolutely noticed as one of your strongest aspects that we have seen. Your songs always seem very well conceptualised, you always provide a very clear image of who your song is about and you always craft entertaining narratives around these characters. I don’t know if it’s something you are totally conscious about or if it’s something you actively strive for, but if you look back I think you will see this is a common trend in your entries and it really does provide a certain style and polished factor to your entries. While this isn’t the best example purely from a lyrical or conceptual standpoint, this song still demonstrates that innate writing skill that you have and should be proud of regardless. 

@Euterpe - Worthless - (Sequel/Poptimism)

I think I do like this more viewing it with the poptimism interpretation as opposed to a potential sequel to your last entry, just because I don’t really think it’s specific enough to be tied to the last entry. While it might not be the most straight, bubble gum pop song I do think this kind of angsty interpretation still has its place because I think the lines are more blurred in music (and especially songwriting) than people realise, so I don’t really have any issue seeing this fitting the poptimism challenge. I can easily picture it matching Demi’s current vibe for example, or even something like Paramore. Regardless, for something you describe as written in fifteen minutes, there’s nothing that particularly stands out to me as bad. I can still picture somebody singing this and I can imagine it resonating with a group of people. It’s not the most inspired we’ve seen from you, but you are a great writer, so even if you struggle you still manage to get something out that is pretty well formed and complete regardless. This might not have been your challenge or your week but I definitely still commend you on getting something sent in regardless, so thank you. 

@JoeAg - Relish the Thought - (Sequel)

It’s such a left of field and interesting choice to write a sequel to Nightlife Empress tbh. I feel like most people would automatically think “omg I should write a sequel to my highest scoring/ranking song” but here, looking back, you’ve actually picked your second lowest scoring song which I think is a bold choice. I’m actually very here for it because, without being shady, I do think Nightlife Empress was one of your less memorable entries and by revisiting it like this and building upon it you can potentially turn that around, which was definitely part of my intention with picking this challenge. And I would say… it’s definitely a success! I really love how you have built upon the original and really fleshed out the character and their persona with this song. In the original the character is (again not to be shady) a bit faceless and like you mentioned very boastful which really goes along with the living in the moment/nightlife vibe of the original, however showing the aftermath of this behaviour and the contemplation that comes along with age was a really strong choice, and I think it’s a really great interpretation of my challenge. This song much more thoroughly and eloquently explores the character and adds a great level of depth so this is a very successful sequel in my eyes and an overall improvement in the concept and execution. Lyrically this is definitely stronger than the original song also, very grand and metaphorical with a lot of intrigue. Overall another good job from you!

@Invisibility - Feasting on Dead Stars - (Demonic Compendium)

Okay, if you hadn’t already, then you have definitely solidified yourself as the concept queen of the season. I mean, my god, how did you even come up with this ajdjskskd. Like… your mind. This is clearly highly conceptual and really in-depth, even just from reading your description of the song you can see how much thought and research went into this. You truly went all in and I absolutely commend you for that. In a way this seems kinda like the perfect challenge for you, and it was absolutely a fantastic pairing. You’ve created something quite special here, it’s honestly very artistic, I feel like I could read it a dozen times and get a different interpretation and a new light each time. This is very much high conceptual songwriting of the utmost creativity and it’s just kinda a marvel to read and experience. I would be lying if I said I completely understand all aspects of it, but I don’t think we are supposed to, I think the abstract nature of it only makes it more interesting and much more distinctive. Lyrically conceptually, everything is so grand and one of a kind. This is definitely a stand out and another fantastic entry from you, really great job. 

@Prisoner - These Walls - (Demonic Compendium)

Oh this is… fantastic. Your writing here is so eloquent and vivid, and the concept so inspired. I can definitely say that this is my favourite song you’ve submitted during Golden Hit. The exploration of themes here was just really interesting and articulated fantastically, I think this is the strongest example of your writing that I have personally seen. This review is on the shorter side but that should speak to my enjoyment of the song, this was just overall a really polished and strong entry with great inspiration. Really good job!

@TruGemini - The Calling - (Sequel/Demonic Compendium/Poptimism)

Okay… okay. I’ll say it. You own these multiple choice challenges. You do. You’ve hit it out of the park, again. In Season 1’s Judge’s Choice you earned a 10 from me (and of course ranked #1 that round), and in Season 2’s Mix n Match Final you also earned a 10 from me… and I’m happy to say, it’s third times the charm here. It’s another 10. The absolute ambition to take on each individual challenge combined in one song, again, is just amazing on its own… but the fact that you so effortlessly do so and create such a polished, fantastic song out of multiple different briefs is pretty astonishing. I have no idea how you do it tbh, but you’ve absolutely demolished this again in my opinion. Following up Sweet Release with a sequel was definitely a bold and risky choice since the original is your highest scoring songs (and one of the highest scoring songs in Golden Hit, period), but you absolutely aced it; The Calling perfectly follows up on that narrative by offering this additional perspective and feels just as touching as the original did. Secondly, incorporating the demonic compendium through the inspiration of Thanatos is just wild… like, it fits SO PERFECTLY it is honestly just genius, it fits the story of Sweet Release so well and as a response to that character adds so much further depth and poignancy. And lastly, the incorporation of the poptimism challenge is done so well too. The chorus sections here are great and I absolutely love that you put a slightly different spin on each one lyrically, it definitely kept the intrigue and momentum of the song up and was also incredibly catchy. I know I gave you some constructive criticism in regards to choruses in my last review, and I can see that you have taken that and applied it here because these sections are really well elevated here. Overall, just such a stellar job. This simply comes together perfectly and effortlessly, in an almost fateful way. 

Edited by fountain
consolidation

i have an interview for a receptionist job at a tattoo parlor and then i’ll finish up sorry y’all 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.