Golden Hit: Season 3 📀 Congrats to TruGemini! ✨

fountain

sugarshine - Dolphin Dive

Welcome to Golden Hit, first of all! Happy to have you around~ Now, you mentioned that this could be interpreted in different ways, and if I were to take a guess, I’d have assumed this is about the life of a famous celebrity. A high-profile performer that’s always in front of cameras and the public having to constantly put on an act and never really lead a normal life. That’s the impression I got, anyway! I love that this could have multiple interpretations and any of them could work very well. To me, that’s a sign of a strong writer that you can allow others to have their own interpretations of things, with their own evidence to support it. I also felt, just on a technical level, this was well-written. The title itself is really nice to speak, it has a pleasant ring to it, so making that your title was a strong choice. Overall, I thought this was a great first outing for you and I’m excited to see what else you bring to the table.

Thank you for this review!! :heart:

Yes, yes, yes!! I wanted to say it without saying it. :celestial: Part of the reason why I mentioned that Dolphin Dive is like the perfect MARINA & Britney collab is because they both have a lot of songs that speak on this topic of celebrity life and the bizarre nature of it. I felt like the dolphin metaphor was perfect to expand upon this idea. Dolphins and humans are similar but treated differently, like celebrities and "regular" people. Humans could very easily be in the same situation as dolphins if an alien race decided to assert their dominance over us so I thought this would be an illuminating topic to write about! Dolphins are one of the most intelligent animals, close to humans, so it's a great mental exercise to chew on.

I feel like a good lyric that showcases this interpretation of the song would be: They pay to watch a dream but do they really see me? and of course the pre-chorus.

OOH written well on a technical level? I was nawt expecting that :blush: I actually didn't pay too much attention to the technical side because I didn't want it to stifle the creative process, especially for my debut single. I wrote it in a way where I followed a rhythm that I was feeling while singing and writing it even if it was a little sloppy. I prioritised the natural flow rather than polishing it too much basically, so I am pleased that it didn't come across as clunky :jonny6:

11. sugarshine - “Dolphin Dive”

Title: A bit basic as song titles about water songs go, but let’s dive in! (3)

Lyrics: Welcome to the tournament, and ATRL in general! The formatting is giving fun, so there’s that! This song definitely didn’t give off serious energy, but it was seriously good. There was a really good balance of humour and commentary, using the funny moments to make the deeper messages hit even harder by comparison. The standout lyric in this song for me was definitely, “Dancing for the world is not like dancing for me / Doing something so natural so unnaturally,” which was a complete scalp. This was a very good example of how you can combine literal elements with metaphorical water imagery and make a song that could be interpreted as just a song about a dancing dolphin on the surface, but if you really read it and think, the themes such as animal exploitation and affirmation seeking become clear. This was clever writing wrapped up in a way that almost conveyed you as oblivious to how great this truly is, but I fear you know exactly what you’re doing.

Thank you!1 :heart:

That's so interesting that you mention the formatting because I intentionally made the font be Comic Sans MS and another font to create a childlike atmosphere. I increased the size too. :johnald: And the title gives colouring book teas. :wave2: I feel like dolphins are very playful and childlike, and the lyrics speak a bit about flying from the nest. I really wanted to sell it. I even tried to make the lyrics the colour of a dolphin (but it ended up showing up differently on the ocean blue background nnnn Google's sabotage! :cold2:)

The first section I wrote was the intro - I was definitely playing up the campiness and make it humorous but also enjoying the more thought-provoking parts too:gaycat1: The song kinda gives "my brain is a chocolate truffle - it may look crunchy or smooth on the outside, but it got all the juices flowing on the inside hunny - TAKE A BITE! :gaynetcat4:"

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/LateDiscreteKusimanse.webp

Oop we both got the same standout lyric! It's so simplistic yet effective which was done on purpose. I definitely could've gotten out a thesaurus but I feel like the simpler writing style fit the dolphin more, made the song more effective and it is kinda a kii when the dolphin randomly uses big words like "evolutionary" :celestial5: which is serving [INTELLIGENCE IS NOT JUST FOR HUMANS]. :fish1: I also wanted the dolphin to drag humans a bit :oh:, hence the shade about four limbs and a pointy nose which is wordplay for how nosey human beings can be as well. :redface:

I researched a couple facts about aquatic life too. I find it so interesting how dolphins have to hold their breath to swim which I felt was an emotional part of the song :'( and shows a greater similarity yet difference between the dolphin and humans. We breathe the same air, but one has to hold their breath in order to live in their natural habitat.

Another part I like about my song is I ride the waves until I can please the gods of persistence because it shows the dynamic between the dolphin and humans aka "the gods". And also the line Every day they watch my every move like I’m the only fish in the room but the dolphin clocks ha and says But I’m a mammal too, have you forgotten our evolutionary roots? It can be interpreted in an LGBT+ way where many people think they know about us, but they really don't know. That kinda experience - being the only LGBT+ person and a crowd around you judging you but also being strangely enamoured because we SERVE. :gayorkcat2: :gaynetcat4: :gayalipacat3: :clap3: Swish swish bish! Like y'all think tomatoes are vegetables? I'm a mammal gw0rl. The dolphin might be the unicorn of this generation. :gaygacat4:

I’m a star but I only shine for others
I wanna love but I only see them love each other

are also another favourite lyric of mine! :allears: It goes with the LGBT+ commentary too :whistle2:

//

I'm so curious to see where I rank in the results :beatfreak: :gaycat3:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountain

• Aurora

• Legend E

• Invisibility

The Round 3 results are in! I’ll be hosting them today at 5PM eastern time, which is a little bit under 6 hours from now, here is a countdown to when results will be starting so you can see what time it will be in your own timezone:

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/afootball?iso=20230212T17&p0=179&msg=Golden+Hit+Round+3+results+&font=cursive&csz=1

One thing I really want to drive home from this round is just how well everybody did, all of the scores this round are really high so instead of focusing on just your ranking please take into account your score because I think that’s a more accurate representation of how well everybody did! The lowest ranking song this round would’ve been #7 in Round 1 and #8 in Round 2, and the average score this round is an 8.7 which is way above the other rounds, so I hope this shows that you really did all do great. It may not feel that way if you focus only on the ranking, but if you appreciate your scores instead you will see they are much higher. 

Anyway, I’ll be here with these results later on so join if you can! 

@DatChickDoe@Julia Fox@Legend E@Invisibility@beatinglikeadrum

@worldwide angel@JoeAg@Euterpe@Element@TruGemini@sugarshine

We all slayed this round :clap:, I can see Ariel and Flounder putting our songs on their playlist already :smitten2:

That's a very excellent point about rankings vs scores. I mean, being realistic, we're not all gonna tie for #1 every week :hoetenks: (it ain't impossible though :oh:). So the scores are a better indicator it seems. :wave2:

//

My love song Love Across the Universes is unintentionally giving me 2PM's Again & Again :rip:

It kinda gives late 00s/early 2010s eurodance bop with some rock influences. I wasn't writing it like a rock song but girrrrrl when I started singing it with some power rock Linkin Park vocals, key changes, the works? :flame: I gotta drink some tea now lol. I think I've discovered a talent for fusing genres that you don't typically see together :foxaylove2: :duca: The chorus I wrote is so catchy with the melody I sing it with. I feel like I could twerk to this song too lmaooo

Some songs that sound similar to mine:

Let me give y'all a snippet after talking so much about this song, my name is not badgalriri :fan:

If God planned this, are we really free to love?
I don’t know the answers but I know I'm ready to love you again
Until this world ends
When we travel into death
Our love will resurrect
I’m ready to love you now
Again and again and again and again and again

btw I am LIVING for the Everytime We Touch music video :ahh: come on librarian fantaC :celestial5: :blush:

8 minutes ago, sugarshine said:

We all slayed this round :clap:, I can see Ariel and Flounder putting our songs on their playlist already :smitten2:

That's a very excellent point about rankings vs scores. I mean, being realistic, we're not all gonna tie for #1 every week :hoetenks: (it ain't impossible though :oh:). So the scores are a better indicator it seems. :wave2:

//

My love song Love Across the Universes is unintentionally giving me 2PM's Again & Again :rip:

It kinda gives late 00s/early 2010s eurodance bop with some rock influences. I wasn't writing it like a rock song but girrrrrl when I started singing it with some power rock Linkin Park vocals, key changes, the works? :flame: I gotta drink some tea now lol. I think I've discovered a talent for fusing genres that you don't typically see together :foxaylove2: :duca: The chorus I wrote is so catchy with the melody I sing it with. I feel like I could twerk to this song too lmaooo

Some songs that sound similar to mine:

Let me give y'all a snippet after talking so much about this song, my name is not badgalriri :fan:

If God planned this, are we really free to love?
I don’t know the answers but I know I'm ready to love you again
Until this world ends
When we travel into death
Our love will resurrect
I’m ready to love you now
Again and again and again and again and again

btw I am LIVING for the Everytime We Touch music video :ahh: come on librarian fantaC :celestial5: :blush:

Okay I am here for your emo Linkin Park esque serve… take me back to 2010! :loud:

23 minutes ago, fountain said:

Okay I am here for your emo Linkin Park esque serve… take me back to 2010! :loud:

Yaaaas :loud:

I'm in such a weird era in my life right now. I'm loving the rainbow dance vibes but I also feel emo with a throat that needs some ginger tea nnn and combining them together is so fresh to me :allears: It's like the best of both worlds, like Wednesday Addams and her roommate. My song is not too emo though because I really want to sell the romantic vibe. The characters in my song are more emo about other things but they loveee each other :smitten: but I guess that could still be emo? Lol I don't even know what emo means anymore :dies: the emo gw0rls are gonna gather me. I kinda identify as emo in a way though. Anyway :dies: (I feel like I'm saying emo too much :skull:)

We need more 2010 throwbacks, I feel like no one ever references that era anymore (except the YouTube comments section on Black Eyed Peas music videos fff) - it feels like a fever dream :chick3: We only get 80s, 90s, a couple 2000s references and from around 2016 to now. It's like the world has erased 2008-2015. But I guess that era is starting to make a comeback with Avatar and some other stuff. Although I would really want some more futuristic stuff and for the 2020s to really serve a signature statement of its own for sure.

Edited by sugarshine

Oop :duca: I'll scream if after these glowing reviews I still get last place :deadbanana2: my stomach is churning but that might just be digestive issues

//

I'm giving y'all a full chorus to chew on with Love Across the Universes. We've had enough of these anti-climatic "choruses" with no melody. I will change the music industry.

I highkey need a Linkin Park-inspired group that mixes rock pop with dance/edm now. Sounds like heaven :loud: It's like my song sounds better when I shred my vocals to oblivion. Xtina knows! fffff :fan:

thanks for the reviews btw y'all :heart2: I've had kind of a busy weekend but i was able to at least skim through them, I'm glad y'all liked my submission! I wrote it in like 8 minutes so it wasn't quite as well thought out as my past two weeks, but I think the subtlety was a nice change of pace, personally

WdZ_p0lb3ziSzpSrbLDC9of2YJ2cJPqGQiBmhHBqmxyR_lTxnSW1vegSil3KPiZV7ogFs8ZX0k6QeT5ssN168s31bwFczF9gY-CLqRHMbsm7B39KQMeaQem4antcel1hohYThd0IYFnGESadlBEaUeI

Round 3: Way of Water Challenge Results

This was such an amazing round and let me say a big thank you to everybody who submitted this week! The entries were so strong this round and the judges were all super impressed by the displays of talent this round, there were so many fun and touching songs this week and it was an amazing showcasing of all of your writing. You should all be equally proud! :clap3:

This round has a fantastic average score of 8.7, and has by far the highest scores we have seen thus far in the game. I hope everybody will focus more on their score as opposed to their ranking as I believe it will be a better indication of how much we liked these songs! :heart2:

Also as a reminder, this is the last round where scores will be revealed. As we are now at the halfway point, in anticipation for the finale from here on the scores will not be revealed in future rounds until the end of the game. I’m glad that this round will be the final one with revealed scores though, since they are all so great! We’ll continue calculating your average score each round and your overall average for the season going forward, but that information will be kept hidden until the grand finale. 

Anyway, let’s get on with the results! Up first, #11…

:bird:

@DatChickDoe@Julia Fox@Legend E@Invisibility@beatinglikeadrum

@worldwide angel@JoeAg@Euterpe@Element@TruGemini@sugarshine

hIlP_euLGkksjYuXqXCoLlpPM18gFvEO90BgVEfUhme5qo-707GiKLMcDhai_ExIlVXwacKyLKUOvyENpayntAKsowwK6B9I1vZXKU75cSQAuAZwrFbPMU0BKYi9zMpUeVRH7T_02WWQfP2a2D2rzaU

Woo results! Wish we could all be top ten tbh because everyone truly did command the waves and take us to paradise tbh!

1 minute ago, Julia Fox said:

omg tysm glad we all did good btw :clap3:

1 minute ago, worldwide angel said:

hii hii 

We love an audience. :clap3:

At #11 with a score of 7.983…

@DatChickDoe with “Graveyard Rain”! 

Despite the ranking I hope you know that we really enjoyed the song and that this is a great score. It’s actually pretty much the same score as your entry from round one “There’s No Going Back” which scored an 8 and was ranked #6, so you can see that this round just had really high scores overall! This was a good entry and a great improvement after last round, keep it up! 

Just now, sugarshine said:

I'm scared :chick3:

Since this is your first round, and everyone did really well, I wouldn't be too worried at all!

2 minutes ago, Julia Fox said:

omg tysm glad we all did good btw :clap3:

You really all did :clap3: these scores will not lie!

At #10 with a score of 8.233…

@Euterpe with “Dive”! 

This was a really great and vivid song, and I hope you are happy with its performance! Despite ranking lower than your round one entry “Anew” this song actually has a much higher score, so the ranking definitely doesn’t reflect our enjoyment! Another great entry from you. 

Just now, fountain said:

At #11 with a score of 7.983…

@DatChickDoe with “Graveyard Rain”! 

Despite the ranking I hope you know that we really enjoyed the song and that this is a great score. It’s actually pretty much the same score as your entry from round one “There’s No Going Back” which scored an 8 and was ranked #6, so you can see that this round just had really high scores overall! This was a good entry and a great improvement after last round, keep it up! 

Although you ended up last in the rankings, I think it's pretty clear by this song which is practically on par with your Round 1 song that we raved about how well you actually did this round. Please keep submitting songs of this calibre! :clap3:

1 minute ago, Aurora said:

Since this is your first round, and everyone did really well, I wouldn't be too worried at all!

Anxiety: I hear you what you are saying but I'm not listening

nnnn thank you :heart:

1 minute ago, fountain said:

At #10 with a score of 8.233…

@Euterpe with “Dive”! 

This was a really great and vivid song, and I hope you are happy with its performance! Despite ranking lower than your round one entry “Anew” this song actually has a much higher score, so the ranking definitely doesn’t reflect our enjoyment! Another great entry from you. 

Another top ten hit for you. :alexz:I don't even think it's fair to call any of these songs low ranking tbh, a song with this placement and score is a smash no matter which way you look at it!

4 minutes ago, Julia Fox said:

hiii

hii hru :heart2:

I’ve been struggling each round when it comes to writing, so it being above an 8 I’ll take!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.