Jump to content

Jacinda Ardern to step down as New Zealand Prime Minister


Robert
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Wolf Alice said:

Probably just your misogyny 

:gaycat5: K

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wish more leaders knew when it was time to let someone else take control and step down. She’s led her country through various crises, no wonder she's tired. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Why?

She has been getting death threats and her child starts school later this year. I'm not sure how much that was a factor, but it wouldn't have helped make her want to stay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i'm gonna miss ha, she did great for The Kiwis and showed da world what a true leader is supposed to be

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Letemtalk said:

She has been getting death threats and her child starts school later this year. I'm not sure how much that was a factor, but it wouldn't have helped make her want to stay.

Oh wow, wasn't aware of that. Yeah, being effective can do that. At some point she thought it wasn't worth it. 

 

It's weird to process here in the States or even another Parliamentary government where that doesn't just...happen, so...casually.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

She will be always remembered as one of the greatest lider of modern time :clap3: an one of the youngest one!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the only world leaders I actually respect. Enjoy retirement. :clap3:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

she was amazing! the way she handled the Christchurch massacre of Muslims was amazing. She showed what compassion and strength is supposed to look like from a leader when handling a tragedy harming a minority group in your nation. It was heart warming. She's respected around the world for a lot of stuff like that during her tenure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is unfortunate! She has been one of the greatest symbols of feminism and a strong Prime Minister. Wishing her the best in her future endeavours :cries: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

'I’m leaving, because with such a privileged role comes responsibility. The responsibility to know when you are the right person to lead and also when you are not. I know what this job takes. And I know that I no longer have enough in the tank to do it justice. It’s that simple.'

A testament to the wonderful and admirable politician that she is :clap3:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have seen some pretty nasty comments about her from Australia. I just don't understand why.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ontherocks said:

I have seen some pretty nasty comments about her from Australia. I just don't understand why.

There are a lot people in the American right and elsewhere that hate her.

 

She is a woman and some people are very misogynistic
She supported Muslims after the Christchurch far right terrorist attack and some people are very Islamophobic.
She did an excellent job with Covid, especially during the time when there was no vaccine, which made some other countries leaders look bad.
She campaigned against rising carbon emissions and that angered many in the mining industry in Australia and the Australian Murdock media.

Climate change related policies angered the local farming lobby who don't think there should be any limit on emissions.
Many Labour party policies supported indigenous Maori and local racists didn't like that.
There has been a huge amount of American money used to support the far right and their anti-vax anti-mandate protests, including an invasion of Parliament grounds, apparently modelled on the Jan 2021 invasion. Americans seem to hate democracy in Brazil, New Zealand, Canada and even in their own country.

Plus, the big one for many Americans, after the Christchurch mosque shootings, she made the AR-15 and many other semi-automatic weapons illegal. They didn't care about the innocent people gunned down, for Americans the guns were the real victims.

Edited by Letemtalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the greatest symbols of feminism and arguably, an ideal leader who elevated NZ to the world stage :clap3: The fact that she resigned when she felt it was time for her to leave the post is just a testament to the admirable and strong politician that she was. Wishing her the best in her future endeavours :heart:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Letemtalk said:

There are a lot people in the American right and elsewhere that hate her.

 

She is a woman and some people are very misogynistic
She supported Muslims after the Christchurch far right terrorist attack and some people are very Islamophobic.
She did an excellent job with Covid, especially during the time when there was no vaccine, which made some other countries leaders look bad.
She campaigned against rising carbon emissions and that angered many in the mining industry in Australia and the Australian Murdock media.

Climate change related policies angered the local farming lobby who don't think there should be any limit on emissions.
Many Labour party policies supported indigenous Maori and local racists didn't like that.
There has been a huge amount of American money used to support the far right and their anti-vax anti-mandate protests, including an invasion of Parliament grounds, apparently modelled on the Jan 2021 invasion. Americans seem to hate democracy in Brazil, New Zealand, Canada and even in their own country.

Plus, the big one for many Americans, after the Christchurch mosque shootings, she made the AR-15 and many other semi-automatic weapons illegal. They didn't care about the innocent people gunned down, for Americans the guns were the real victims.

I do understand that politics of one country affects the closest one, I just found the reactions super odd. I know that Austalians are quite blunt and I know whose media reacted that way in AUS, but still. It leaves a bitter taste. 

 

It's kinda wild how most of the world sees Australia and New Zealand compared to what the reality is (looking at the latest poll results in NZL). It's the illusion of things on the one side vs the reality of things on the other.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/20/2023 at 11:10 AM, ontherocks said:

I have seen some pretty nasty comments about her from Australia. I just don't understand why.

Australia is a nice place and is thankfully becoming more left-wing but there’s still a lot of very loud far right groups and Rupert Murdoch still has far too much of a platform .

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/18/2023 at 11:36 PM, Wolf Alice said:

Probably just your misogyny 

:gaylorcat1:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/23/2023 at 12:25 PM, Horizon Flame said:

Her poll numbers are in the toilet. She knows she won’t win the next election. It’s politics. 
 

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/05/support-for-jacinda-ardern-and-nz-labour-sinks-to-lowest-since-2017-poll-shows

From the link you posted.

 

Quote

her approval rating dropped slightly – by 1% to 29%

Quote

National party leader Christopher Luxon’s popularity rose by 2% to 23% – marking the closest gap between the two since Luxon was appointed leader last November.

So although her party is down from what it was, her personal polling numbers are still better than the leader of the opposition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

She was such a good leader and handled COVID way better than most of all industrialized countries. But I understand her, she feels tired don't want to do it anymore. I wish her luck :heart2:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Doesn’t she have a small child? I’m sure she wants to spend time raising her kid. She’s accomplished so much and she’s still young! Good for her. Hope she enjoys retirement  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...