Shawn Mendes

James_Dean

SHAWN MENDES

buw1E8E.jpg

Born in the Toronto suburbs in August 1998 (a Leo--confident and optimistic), Mendes started out by uploading six-second covers of pop songs onto the video-sharing service Vine. Like Justin Bieber on YouTube before him, he navigated the leap from covers to original material, from making content to forging a career, modeling himself on the sound of artists, like John Mayer and Ed Sheeran-superstars whose charm lies, in part, in how un-super they seem. Within a couple of years, he released his first album, Handwritten. Success was huge and immediate. Illuminate arrived in 2016, followed by Shawn Mendes in 2018, marking transitions toward adult themes--anxiety, sexuality-without shedding the brightness or earnestness that made him appealing to begin with. "The hardest thing in the world is to wake up in the morning and be, like, 'Today I'm me, regardless of how big of a song "Stitches" was." Mendes told Apple Music, referring to his 2015 breakthrough single. "The best way to do it is to ignore that and take your step forward in what you think sounds amazing. And that's kind of all you can do." -Apple Music

Handwritten (2015)

aduufBy.jpg

Illuminate (2016)

RNcKuuh.jpg

Shawn Mendes (2018)

Db86P54.jpg

Wonder (2020)

rT89G5y.jpg

TBA (2023)

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inmymendes

• James_Dean

• jeffersonairplanes19

• Cheers

When I learned Ed Sheeran wrote FAIY I felt dirty for stanning it :)

anywayssss about time we had a base thread where we can discuss things other than his face and sexuality. Stanned since his debut and seen him live 3 times. King :allears: Wonder is underrated and over hated. 

Edited by youreyesgocold

47 minutes ago, youreyesgocold said:

When I learned Ed Sheeran wrote FAIY I felt dirty for stanning it :)

That's hot tea, but it's literally one of Shawn's BEST tracks :fan:

48 minutes ago, youreyesgocold said:

anywayssss about time we had a base thread where we can discuss things other than his face and sexuality. Stanned since his debut and seen him live 3 times. King :allears: Wonder is underrated and over hated. 

This is a safe zone! Please visit often!

44 minutes ago, FancyStars said:

Lately, I've been listening to "Like To Be You" on repeat. It's a very nice song.

Miss Michaels may have snapped on this one. SM3 is filled with great tracks :allears:

I actually just bought Wonder on vinyl during the Holiday sale! :-* It is lowkey underrated 

Do you guys consider realistically wonder a succesful era? I am just a casual Shawn supporter so I don’t know how deep the era went. I just want to know from you guys what went wrong with the era? What could’ve Shawn done to make the era better? Was there anything he could’ve actually done? Plus do you think the wonder your would’ve done very well?

Teach me how to love is one of my fav songs ever :angelo:

And summer of love/when you're gone are bangers too

Edited by simplywohoo

There are quite a few songs from Shawn that I enjoy (TYB, TNHMB, Mercy, IBO...), but my absolute favourite is Higher. The melody in this song. :jonny2:

I never really dug into his discography, even though I've been meaning to for a long time. 

4 hours ago, Happylittlepunk said:

Do you guys consider realistically wonder a succesful era? I am just a casual Shawn supporter so I don’t know how deep the era went. I just want to know from you guys what went wrong with the era? What could’ve Shawn done to make the era better? Was there anything he could’ve actually done? Plus do you think the wonder your would’ve done very well?

It was semi succssful. Not as big as the first 3 but Wonder and Monster realistically were moderate hits 

42 minutes ago, Wizard said:

i've been playing his lyle lyle song for some reason :jonny5:

Which one?

3 minutes ago, Wizard said:

it's catchy :bird:

Its definitely cute

Can anyone identify the pants he was wearing in those candies? With the black sweater and khakis. I really want them. :rip:

1 hour ago, Wizard said:

it's catchy :bird:

Heartbeat is my favourite from the soundtrack but it’s actually all great!!! Top of the World and Rip Up the Recipe are all fire and the movie itself was a cute lil time waster too tbh. 

:sistrens:

18 hours ago, Happylittlepunk said:

It's definitely an underperformance of an era, especially when you see that Illuminate and SM3 are both out-streaming the album daily nnn.

IMO Wonder (song) was an awful lead. It was too much in the vein of In My Blood. Most complained that he's just rehashing the same songs over again- which is a lie, because there are several tracks like Higher, Piece of You, and Teach Me How To Love that are different from his usual. But clearly people want to hear him do something different.

Higher and Piece of You would have been cute promo tracks to release before the album. 

TMHTL was the hit that  got away.... the fact its approaching 100 million without even being a single speaks volumes. 

Monster was a moderate hit thanks to the collab. 

The era also suffered immensely from bad publicity thanks to the relationship with Cabello.

Hopefully he's switching it up for the upcoming era, cause two back to back flops would be dire!

9 hours ago, James_Dean said:

It's definitely an underperformance of an era, especially when you see that Illuminate and SM3 are both out-streaming the album daily nnn.

IMO Wonder (song) was an awful lead. It was too much in the vein of In My Blood. Most complained that he's just rehashing the same songs over again- which is a lie, because there are several tracks like Higher, Piece of You, and Teach Me How To Love that are different from his usual. But clearly people want to hear him do something different.

Higher and Piece of You would have been cute promo tracks to release before the album. 

TMHTL was the hit that  got away.... the fact its approaching 100 million without even being a single speaks volumes. 

The era also suffered immensely from bad publicity thanks to the relationship with Cabello.

Hopefully he's switching it up for the upcoming era, cause two back to back flops would be dire!

Nothing but the damn truth :clap3: Wonder has some BOPS, and could’ve done without 2 to 3 songs, but that’s beside the point.

3 hours ago, James_Dean said:

His incoming f*ckboi era :mandown:

Fmu6kXyWQAEoujE.jpg:orig

:jonny5: I hope we get the era started by late spring.

3 hours ago, James_Dean said:

His incoming f*ckboi era :mandown:

Fmu6kXyWQAEoujE.jpg:orig

His Justin Timberlake / John Mayer fuckboi era is coming? :jonnycat:

OmBRxTq.jpg

IaggYMl.jpg

CYIwUYV.jpg

10 hours ago, James_Dean said:

Wonder wasn't a bad lead in my opinion. It was a very well done video too. I think it was just bad timing or the hair, people really didn't like long hair Shawn but realistically Wonder was also a moderate hit.

7 hours ago, Insanity said:

Wonder wasn't a bad lead in my opinion. It was a very well done video too. I think it was just bad timing or the hair, people really didn't like long hair Shawn but realistically Wonder was also a moderate hit.

wonder was an absolute trash choice for the lead single. its a nice song but not lead single material at all.

Higher should have been the lead, it's different than most of his stuff and more upbeat. TMHTL should have been the 2nd single released shortly before the album came out. And shawn's hair had nothing at all to do with the era's under performance lol. No one is deciding to ignore a song and not support it as much because of the artists hair lmao. It all came down to terrible marketing and terrible single choices.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.