Madonna - The Celebration Tour | More Than 1.5 Million People @ Mega-Concert in Rio

Sergi91

4 hours ago, shark_heather said:

Well ... Frozen , Music and Hung Up are probably her biggest and most known songs

I love Frozen (my fav Madonna song) and Music, but they are absolutely not her biggest classics. LAP, LAV, and Vogue are, followed by La Isla Bonita and Hung Up. I would argue that even Material Girl is bigger than Frozen/Music, but she hates that song so performing it was never an option.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chris

• tiagol88

• Alongoria13

• Year of Shadow

hate RH all you want but Veni Vidi Vici would eat on this tour

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

ID-Magazine did a very good article about the Girlie Show:

As her Celebration Tour launches in London, we look back at Madonna's 1993 dark and inventive concoction of interwar burlesque.

https://i-d.vice.com/en/article/n7eqgq/madonna-girlie-show-queer-utopia

Love the last paragraph:

‘Queerbaiting’, a term thrown around increasingly in the 2020s to describe LGBTQ-adjacent but apparently straight celebrities, makes sense in the context of faceless executives selling TV shows. The accusation loses its potency when applied to personalities who know the bends and brooks of gay culture of their own accord, and intimately enough to frolic around in them. This knowledge becomes more impressive the further we move from the public health crisis of the 80s and early 90s, leaving the canon behind in a brave new world of queer politics that does not always acknowledge its precursor. With the Girlie Tour, Madonna wasn’t so much using these drips of subtext to sell albums and concert tickets as she was to make a profound and prescient statement about gay culture itself — its all-encroaching existence, and its slow decline during a period of political neglect and tragedy. It was her extraordinary visual and historical literacy — the greatest of any popstar - that allowed her to do so.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

She sang more live on the second date, instantly noticeable on Bedtime Story. Vocals on Hung Up and Don't Tell Me were better too.

The professional recording is amazing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mitsouko said:

You think so? It was a mid ending for that show but it wasn't the worst outing of that song. That's gotta be her first couple tours or DWT

it was SORELY needed on the DWT since that show was such a dirge  

moo.png

her 80s tours were fine for the time but I'm not gonna sit through them on video 

The base on Erotica shook the Arena... God, I love that song.

:heart:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VeronicaElectronica said:

‘Queerbaiting’, a term thrown around increasingly in the 2020s to describe LGBTQ-adjacent but apparently straight celebrities, makes sense in the context of faceless executives selling TV shows. The accusation loses its potency when applied to personalities who know the bends and brooks of gay culture of their own accord, and intimately enough to frolic around in them. This knowledge becomes more impressive the further we move from the public health crisis of the 80s and early 90s, leaving the canon behind in a brave new world of queer politics that does not always acknowledge its precursor. With the Girlie Tour, Madonna wasn’t so much using these drips of subtext to sell albums and concert tickets as she was to make a profound and prescient statement about gay culture itself — its all-encroaching existence, and its slow decline during a period of political neglect and tragedy. It was her extraordinary visual and historical literacy — the greatest of any popstar - that allowed her to do so.

Oof, these type of analysis on Madonna's work and craft always give me goosebumps and gets me teary eyed. This is what the haters just cannot for the life of them comprehend and this is why she's forever QUEEN above all queens in the game

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, GlamSlam said:

The professional recording is amazing.

Already better than the MDNA tour dvd. Lets hope M doesn’t edit this one 

:suburban:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hurem said:

Not you saying people shouldn’t complain about missing the entire last part of the show :deadbanana2: What the **** is wrong with you? Take off your stan glasses :deadbanana4: 

The way we were worried about this EXACT thing months ago and it’s the same asslicking “I’d be happy with her farting onstage for three hours!!!!!!!!!” stans parroting the same **** :deadbanana2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is she lipping this tour? I'm really interested in seeing this tour after seeing the videos/setlists, but the vocals from Live To Tell and Open Your Heart sound like the original studio versions......

2 minutes ago, GlamSlam said:

The base on Erotica shook the Arena... God, I love that song.

:heart:

I like it but don't at the same time. Not sure about the boxing theme.

Just now, Britneyfan09 said:

Is she lipping this tour? I'm really interested in seeing this tour after seeing the videos/setlists, but the vocals from Live To Tell and Open Your Heart sound like the original studio versions......

She does sing along to backing tracks, but she also sings live.

2 minutes ago, Britneyfan09 said:

She's not really dancing as heavily so she seems to be singing over the tracks to me and sounds good so far.

• Like 2

Just now, Elusive Chanteuse said:

I like it but don't at the same time. Not sure about the boxing theme.

The boxing theme is a nod to Erotica from the Girlie Show...

The dancers are boxing in the background.

Personally, I would've had her come out as Dita again - mask, whip and all  :heart:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, ericlewis91 said:

do we have a full set list?

Spoiler

Bob The Drag Queen Skit (Intro)

1. Nothing Really Matters

2. Everybody (Where's the Party intro)

3. Into the Hollywood Groove

4. Burning Up

5. Open Your Heart

6. Holiday

In This Life (Intro)

7. Live to Tell

Unholy/Act of Contrition (Intro)

8. Like a Prayer (With samples of Sam Smith's Unholy, Act of Contrition and Girl Gone Wild)

Living For Love / Fever (Interlude)

9. Erotica / You Thrill Me (with Papa Don't Preach outro)

10. Justify My Love / Fever (With sample of Kelani's Gangsta)

11. Hung Up on Tokischa / Hung Up

12. Bad Girl

Up Down Suite / BREAK MY SOUL (The Queens Mix) (Dancers Interlude)

13. Vogue (With samples of BREAK MY SOUL)

14. Human Nature / Crazy For You

The Beast Within (Interlude)

15. Die Another Day

16. Don't Tell Me

17. Mother and Father

18. I Will Survive (Acoustic)

19. La Isla Bonita / Don't Cry for me Argentina

I Don't Search I Find (Interlude)

20. Bedtime Story

21. Ray of Light

22. Rain

Like a Virgin / Billie Jean (Interlude)

23. Give Me All Your Luvin' / ***** I'm Madonna / Celebration / Music

As comprehensive as possible cause there's a lot going on, especially short snippets and samples.

Edited by Popboi.
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Britneyfan09 said:

She does both. Erotica and Justify My Love are the only ones fully lipped though. 

The fact that this was originally supposed to be 35 dates only.

:rip:

On 10/15/2023 at 8:58 AM, wowsignal14 said:

this is such a bad take because this isn't a regular tour, it's a tour that's supposed to sum up her career + not everyone is old enough to have attended those tours you speak of. some people are going to their first madonna tour that was promoted as a greatest hits tour just to hear *checks notes* I Don't Search I Find and mother and father

Exactly, not everyone attended all her tours. I don’t like when people say "it’s overplayed“ "She did it many times” so what? hits are overplayed, from all the artists , so? The setlist is fine for me, of course i will miss some songs (hit songs). 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, John Slayne said:

I love Frozen (my fav Madonna song) and Music, but they are absolutely not her biggest classics. LAP, LAV, and Vogue are, followed by La Isla Bonita and Hung Up. I would argue that even Material Girl is bigger than Frozen/Music, but she hates that song so performing it was never an option.

Well... at least for the ppl who were born in the 90s , Frozen Music and Hang Up are for sure her biggest hits and they were massive at that time . Anyways , it is what it is 

1 hour ago, Popboi. said:
  Hide contents

Bob The Drag Queen Skit (Intro)

1. Nothing Really Matters

2. Everybody (Where's the Party intro)

3. Into the Hollywood Groove

4. Burning Up

5. Open Your Heart

6. Holiday

In This Life (Intro)

7. Live to Tell

Unholy/Act of Contrition (Intro)

8. Like a Prayer (With samples of Sam Smith's Unholy, Act of Contrition and Girl Gone Wild)

Living For Love / Fever (Interlude)

9. Erotica / You Thrill Me (with Papa Don't Preach outro)

10. Justify My Love / Fever (With sample of Kelani's Gangsta)

11. Hung Up on Tokischa / Hung Up

12. Bad Girl

Up Down Suite / BREAK MY SOUL (The Queens Mix) (Dancers Interlude)

13. Vogue (With samples of BREAK MY SOUL)

14. Human Nature / Crazy For You

The Beast Within (Interlude)

15. Die Another Day

16. Don't Tell Me

17. Mother and Father

18. I Will Survive (Acoustic)

19. La Isla Bonita / Don't Cry for me Argentina

I Don't Search I Find (Interlude)

20. Bedtime Story

21. Ray of Light

22. Rain

Like a Virgin / Billie Jean (Interlude)

23. Give Me All Your Luvin' / ***** I'm Madonna / Celebration / Music

As comprehensive as possible cause there's a lot going on, especially short snippets and samples.

The fact that the encore is the weakest part ... only Madonna could have done it :rip:

Curious, if money isn’t an issue, where is the best place to sit?

It kinda sounds like the back of the arena (with a full on front view of the stage) is ideal for this show? 

I was thinking that, or the first couple rows of the sides (so as to be under the screens).

8 minutes ago, Benji124 said:

Curious, if money isn’t an issue, where is the best place to sit?

It kinda sounds like the back of the arena (with a full on front view of the stage) is ideal for this show? 

I was thinking that, or the first couple rows of the sides (so as to be under the screens).

In front of the middle catwalk or in front of the right one, or lower ball that isn't facing directly on the left/right of the end of the runways.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.